Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
idbeholdME

Automap and map marks.

Does anybody actually use them? Pressing M on the automap to mark points of interest, ammo caches, locked doors or a spare Megasphere so you know where they are later?

I do it sometimes, especially on larger maps which require backtracking. Somehow, I get the feeling that the vast majority of players don't use them or even know the option is there... But I've always found it a neat and (surprisingly enough) actually useful feature from time to time. Seems like a strange fit for a game like Doom but it just works.

And in general, how often do people use the automap? I find myself tabbing to it pretty regularly. It is extremely well made in Doom engine games and can really help you get your bearings in a level and even help with finding secrets etc.

Just been wondering about what the general consensus regarding the screen hidden behind the TAB key is.

I've been trained out of using them ever since Doom95 where automap marks crashed the game.

I use them very rarely, and only on maps where I really get lost.

The last time I tried I found they were ridiculously tiny on modern resolutions, and also kind of hard to see depending on color scheme -- the light gray contrasts well with black, but terribly with tan, for example.

Heh, I remember this feature exists from time to time but always forget to use it when I need it.

Automap is an addiction, period.

There's only one place where the mark key is my best friend which is in that gigantic castle in Eternal Doom, the YK switch hunt. I could use it more often, it's an utility no one seems to remember it's there for a reason including myself most of the time. 

The obvious answer is to use them for those special yellow switch puzzle maps from Eternal Doom and Epic 2 (MAP12 and MAP28, respectively). Although markers can have many uses besides that, I prefer to put them in larger levels that have doors that can open for later too.

Also Eternal Doom's markers are green instead of gray on the automap. It's a somewhat neat touch to actually replace the marker graphics to make them more visible.

I find the Automap is incredibly useful in general.

I like finding secrets in a map. In the past, I used automap marks for secrets I hadn't found a way into yet (things like misaligned textures, raised platforms with power-ups, obvious false doors, switches that don't have an clear function, etc). Nowadays I have some modifications that allow clicks on sectors to show their activating lines (and vice-versa) which is really useful when you get stuck or there's that one switch you can't find a use for. Of course, it requires some self-restraint not to turn into full-blown cheating. :)

I use them occasionally, to mark key doors, but more often than not I cannot find the mark anymore. It's just... so tiny?! Can I make it bigger?