Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[Release] Freaky Panties 2: Boxers or Briefs

Congrats on the release! I'll make sure to play this ASAP. c:

This was an absolute treat – so nice I played it twice, actually.

Everything works in concert to really immerse you here, from the incredible visuals and the tight, flowing layout; to the aggressive, near-constant combat and the incredible song providing an ambient & energetic heartbeat to the whole thing (love this song).

Some of the more notable points of my experience:

• There’s this constant struggle in creating space for yourself to move and fight, against enemies that always seem to pour from every nook and cranny from start to finish. Loved the tension this provided.
  • This felt like an exemplary use of OTEX’s “techbase” offerings, with a totally unique personality when even compared to other techbase maps using this texture set. And the dynamic lights – though often very subtle – really sold the atmosphere.
  • I loved the small, scripted “earthquake” events that caused portions of the facility to crumble apart. Such a neat idea!
  • I was impressed (and really appreciated) by how much care you put into cleaning up the automap. Despite the incredible level of detail in walls, floors, and ceilings, the automap was instantly readable and easy to look at. I really need to adopt this practice!

The more spoiler-y notable points:

Spoiler
  • The final boss was fun as hell! There was a moment of huge disappointment when I killed the first Arachnorb Queen, thinking that’s all there was, but I slowly realized the fight was just beginning. The 4-stage battle is perfectly setup, amounting to the final brawl with the last Queen and a Cyberdemon, which was incredibly exciting and satisfying.
  • The section in the lower nukage pits was definitely my favourite part of the map. I really loved that setup, from the visuals, to the layout, to the creative “Cursed Berserk” gimmick. It took me a moment to figure out what to do the first time, as I had near-full health and didn’t want to waste the Berserk (and obviously, didn’t realize I had to pick up), but this is a minor issue I think. (Perhaps a custom Berserk sprite for that would provide a helpful hint to the player, but, that may also ruin the surprise, I’m not sure).
  • Kudos to you for creating an engaging, and challenging Doom 2 map without using a single Archvile!

Fortunately, I didn’t come across any serious bugs or issues, nor did I really see any glaring visual flaws, misalignments, etc. There were only two things I wanted to comment on, the first is a minor bug to do with the small Arachnorb enemy:

• For whatever reason, sometimes it would flat-out skip it’s “Crash” state during death, resulting in the sprite just disappearing in mid-air, mid-death. Then, other times, the Crash state seemed to work, and it fell to the floor with all of it’s death frames playing like normal. I’m not sure what was causing this – I was playing in GZDoom 4.3.3, with all of the settings you recommended.
  • The other comment is, this window (screenshot in spoiler tag). I feel like this should let flyers through? Perhaps you had a good reason for blocking this off that I’m unaware of, but I thought I’d bring it up. I think it would really help create some “dynamic fights” in this area of the map.
Spoiler

y92d0Q4.png

// Venturing into Mod territory //

The second time I played through the map, I did so using Tango’s Supercharge mod just to see what was what. To my surprise and delight, I didn’t run into a single problem*. The mod works perfectly with this map, and in fact, really gives it a fantastic feel. Supercharge’s collection of sprites for everything from enemies and weapons, to keys and armour bonuses, really suit the aesthetic of this level as a whole. And, actually, the instant weapon swapping and fixed damage values lend themselves quite well to the overall gameplay/combat here, too. If you’re keen to experiment with gameplay mods, Remilia, I highly recommend giving your map a runthrough with it.

*I should note, my issue with the Arachnorb Crash state was persistent in my first playthrough as well, without the gameplay mod. Just in case you started to wonder.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

5 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

For whatever reason, sometimes it would flat-out skip it’s “Crashstate during death, resulting in the sprite just disappearing in mid-air, mid-death.

Someone else mentioned this in my Discord server. It's probably something I did when I converted it to ZScript and unpacked the wad. Oddly I only noticed it once, and then I thought my eyes had deceived me lol

I'll have to look into this, I'm curious what happened...

So glad you enjoyed it!

Nice map. Some parts are a bit too cramped for my taste, but the thick atmosphere made up for that. Thd synthwave music is great and fits the map very well. I played on HMP and the balancing was fine. The door speed doesn't fit the door sound, that triggers me :P

Spoiler

The Hell Knight(s) spawning in your back when opening the blue door felt kind like a dick move. Died to it the first time. I prefer to have the monsters to be in the player's view and then teleport away, that way the player knows something's up.

I enjoyed the last fight, the verticality of the area worked really well. The "J" shaped wall in the middle seemed to give a bit too much cover from the Aracnorb Queens, one of them seemed to be kind of stuck on the edge of it, giving me plenty of easy hits on it. Maybe making it a counter-like sector that blocks movement, but not line of fire might have worked out a bit better.

I didn't notice any problems with the Aracnorb Queen death animation.

9 hours ago, boris said:

felt kind like a dick move

lol yeah, that's kinda me... Though I tried to do less of it than I used to. One thing brought up in testing was that there was never a feeling of panic that there might be something behind you. So it was a late stage addition (and specific suggestion, in this case) to change that. Personally I like it since it rarely happens in the map, but I can see where others might not.

Maybe in the future, I'll reserve stuff like that for UV?