Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

PS5 Revealed! |ARE YOU EXCITED?|

On 6/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, HavoX said:

Well, looks like the PC has owned this generation once again.

In what way? You can't build a similar specced PC for either the Series S, Series X or PS5, so it should come as no surprise that Microsoft/Sony are selling these at a loss at launch to retain these prices.

5 hours ago, CyberDestroyer said:

I dont play console because i dont associate with fortnite kids.

Don't play on PC and smartphones then either because Fortnite's on those platforms aswell.

You do realize there are more console games than just Fortnite, right? Because this comment sounds really, really naive otherwise.

5 hours ago, Swordofdanu said:

Demon Souls looks amazing

All I noticed was the animation and physics weren't enhanced in anyway and it just looked weirdly incongruous to me. I don't care about such games anymore but I feel like that sort of thing is part of the reason why. 

Yeah there is no fucking reason for me to buy a console anymore, it's not about ideals or anything, I started with consoles but the point of any system are the games and there's just...

If I could be arsed I'd put a PS5 over the lady's face, but since I can't, just imagine that. :p 

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

All I noticed was the animation and physics weren't enhanced in anyway and it just looked weirdly incongruous to me. I don't care about such games anymore but I feel like that sort of thing is part of the reason why. 

Yeah there is no fucking reason for me to buy a console anymore, it's not about ideals or anything, I started with consoles but the point of any system are the games and there's just...

If I could be arsed I'd put a PS5 over the lady's face, but since I can't, just imagine that. :p 

Have you watched the latest trailer for Demon Souls? because I don't remember being able to vault over walls or the backstabbing or parrying animations looking that good in the original. 

I think I posted in another thread about this, but this generation actually looks pretty impressive. I plan to get a PS5 at some point.

Both the recent PS5 preorder fiasco and the fact that Gran Turismo 7 probably isn't a launch title I will probably wait a little while. 

A benefit to not having been a PS4 owner is that I own no PS4 discs, so I can happily go with the digital only version.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:02 AM, HavoX said:

Well, looks like the PC has owned this generation once again.

In all honesty the gap between PC and console is closing so much, the ice unironic pc master race types walk on is getting thinner by the day.

9 hours ago, CyberDestroyer said:

I dont play console because i dont associate with fortnite kids.

I actually downloaded and tried fortnite recently because something that irrationally pisses people off so much has to be something magical. It's actually pretty good so far! 

It keeps trying to make you play this stupid Marvel 2v2 mode but if you specify "i want the solo battle royale mode this game was based on" it's really fun.

and as Redneckerz said, LOL at thinking Fortnite isn't played on PC and mobile devices.

edit: I had a feeling you were joking, I was poking fun at the same folks you were

2 hours ago, Swordofdanu said:

Have you watched the latest trailer for Demon Souls? because I don't remember being able to vault over walls or the backstabbing or parrying animations looking that good in the original. 

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. The time travel scenes.

Now that's one thing you can''t do on current-gen machines. Nope. Oh, and it looks like playable CGI.

2 hours ago, CyberDestroyer said:

Yeah i was joking

A great carreer as stand up comedian has left you.*

Spoiler

* You are rather a sit-down comedian instead, assuming you made that comment when you sat on something.

I saw Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition in the PS5 games reveal, I can play as Vergil, this is the highlight of anything ever for me so I am satisfied.

I just moved house a few weeks ago and found my olde Master System and Mega Drive in a box along with some games. So if I want a new console experience...I guess it's been at least 20 years since I last saw or touched them. Gotta make sure they're working first.

At 399$ this is cheaper than upgrading my PC would be with a budget that's at most 500$ for such things, and as I've expressed my strong distain for tech rat race that PC is, I'd sure go for that instead of upgrading, although I'll eventually have to do that anyway. Screw PC gaming.

I'm excited for the console itself, but none of the games announced for it make me wanna break my purse.

5 minutes ago, seed said:

At 399$ this is cheaper than upgrading my PC would be with a budget that's at most 500$ for such things, and as I've expressed my strong distain for tech rat race that PC is, I'd sure go for that instead of upgrading, although I'll eventually have to do that anyway. Screw PC gaming.

A PC has uses beyond a console which is why in any given situation it will be a better choice. Because at the end of the day the consoles are just PCs with some exclusive games and without the utility, but the majority of games are on PC, especially the ones that are alternative to the AAA mentality that pushes the tech on these systems. 

What I'm saying is I have this position but my conclusion is screw the consoles, PC gaming is the only worthwhile thing because no one is forcing you to play anything that needs an upgrade and 99% of games won't need it, and I use it for other things the consoles cannot actually provide. 

6 minutes ago, hybridial said:

A PC has uses beyond a console which is why in any given situation it will be a better choice. Because at the end of the day the consoles are just PCs with some exclusive games but the majority of games are on PC, especially the ones that are alternative to the AAA mentality that pushes the tech on these systems. 

What I'm saying is I have this position but my conclusion is screw the consoles, PC gaming is the only worthwhile thing because no one is forcing you to play anything that needs an upgrade and 99% of games won't need it, and I use it for other things the consoles cannot actually provide. 

Funny you say that, my experience has been the exact opposite, for everything I ever wanted to play my hardware has never been strong enough for the experience I sought, and for non-gaming stuff it's become even worse with some programs I need.

The point is, high-end PCs are way out of my budget's range, and I'm done chasing an illusion. I'll keep PCs around for things other than gaming, but for gaming, with consoles I won't have to ever worry about upgrading for entire generations and maybe even beyond, with PCs, not so much. If you were a budget gamer you'd understand how this feels and my contempt for it, contempt for trying to win a battle that is lost to me.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Funny you say that, my experience has been the exact opposite, for everything I ever wanted to play my hardware has never been strong enough for the

The point is, high-end PCs are way out of my budget's range, and I'm done chasing an illusion. I'll keep PCs around for things other than gaming, with consoles I won't have to ever worry about upgrading for entire generations and maybe even beyond, with PCs, not so much. If you were a budget gamer you'd understand how this feels and my contempt for it.

I understand that it can be hard to amass the capital to buy/upgrade a new PC, which is why I choose it over buying anything else, but in the long run it's always made more financial sense for me. The high end stuff is really a relatively small aspect of PC gaming, and indy gaming is better represented on PC than the consoles. I actually think the Switch is a more interesting and probably better product for its audience than the other systems, but even that one, I'm not very interested. And Sony and Microsoft have absolutely nothing to offer to differentiate themselves. I need a PC for other things, it doesn't really make sense to me to get any consoles. 

And besides, they can't run GZDoom. Well officially anyway. :P

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

I understand that it can be hard to amass the capital to buy/upgrade a new PC, which is why I choose it over buying anything else, but in the long run it's always made more financial sense for me. The high end stuff is really a relatively small aspect of PC gaming, and indy gaming is better represented on PC than the consoles. I actually think the Switch is a more interesting and probably better product for its audience than the other systems, but even that one, I'm not very interested. And Sony and Microsoft have absolutely nothing to offer to differentiate themselves. I need a PC for other things, it doesn't really make sense to me to get any consoles. 

And besides, they can't run GZDoom. Well officially anyway. :P

Oh make no mistake, I'm not a triple-A gamer by any means, or not in that sense anyway, but there's definitely been such games I wanted to play over the years and I never could and I'm tired of feeling left out because of my lack of possibilities. You see, a powerful PC makes much more sense if you have the budget, in which case it will likely well outlive an entire console gen, have access to a whole lot more more possibilities than *just* gaming (also much older games, but in many cases getting them to run on modern systems is more work than its worth), but when you don't, it makes no sense financially. Spend a lot of money on it, and for what, just to upgrade again in 2 years, because yeah, you can definitely feel when a mid-range machine and below starts slowing down? That makes even less sense to me.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

Spend a lot of money on it, and for what, just to upgrade again in 2 years, because yeah, you can definitely feel when a mid-range machine and below starts slowing down? That makes even less sense to me.

This is an issue but only if you have to be able to play the high end games, if you don't a mid range will last a lot more than 2 years.

I guess it just depends on what games you want to play but I'm definitely in preference of utility + options, neither of which consoles are built for, and consoles have nothing to justify extra cost on top of whatever goes towards my PC. 

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

This is an issue but only if you have to be able to play the high end games, if you don't a mid range will last a lot more than 2 years.

I guess it just depends on what games you want to play but I'm definitely in preference of utility + options, neither of which consoles are built for, and consoles have nothing to justify extra cost on top of whatever goes towards my PC. 

Unless you need more RAM or something else because a program you depend on has just bumped its requirements, and you don't have the funds to upgrade. I have such programs, where more RAM and especially an SSD would make a day and night difference, but I'm bankrupt, so I have to live with them taking ages to load when I boot them up for the first time... Feels like I'm back to the '90s...

I'm not saying the consoles have more merit than PCs, because that's hard to argue given then singular purpose and utility, but for a tight budget they sure look more attractive, despite the games being more expensive.

It looked tempting going back to console gaming with the PS5. What holds me back is having to also buy a better TV that actually uses the console's potential. At that point it becomes not worth it for me since I'm not a huge fan of AAA gaming anyway.

Spoiler

I actually don't mind the look of the console. I like how the colors match the game cases.

Demon Souls alone is pretty much tempting me to buy a PS5

10 hours ago, hybridial said:

All I noticed was the animation and physics weren't enhanced in anyway

if you played demon's Souls you will notice the complete opposite.

Edited by jazzmaster9

21 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

if you played demon's Souls you will notice the complete opposite.

I did play it, but it was a long time ago so maybe my memory's hazy on it, but I will say that doesn't change my impression that the animation and physics looked dated, about PS3/360 era. The more realistic these games try to look, the more blatant the things that fall short of that goal. 

25 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I did play it, but it was a long time ago so maybe my memory's hazy on it, but I will say that doesn't change my impression that the animation and physics looked dated, about PS3/360 era. 

must be REALLY Hazy because I'm not seeing it, these animations have more weight to them than the original. its just better

I'm so hyped for the new PS, and so bummed for the new Xbox. Sony keeps hitting it out of the park with  exclusives and giving us a reason to buy the console. Can't wait for Spiderman 2, Hogwarts Legacy, God of War, etc. Meanwhile, Xbox has had nothing to write home about in the last decade, honestly. It seems they've put all of their eggs into the Game Pass basket, which is cool and all, but if every title is at minimum also on PC, I'd rather just save the money spent on the console and spend it on Steam Sales. Not to mention I despise Microsoft pushing the subscription model for the new Xbox. Really sucks to say, as Xbox 360 might be my favorite console ever. Miss those days

11 hours ago, hybridial said:

A PC has uses beyond a console which is why in any given situation it will be a better choice. Because at the end of the day the consoles are just PCs with some exclusive games and without the utility, but the majority of games are on PC, especially the ones that are alternative to the AAA mentality that pushes the tech on these systems. 

This has certainly been my approach for the last 10 years as I've found upgrading PC parts to be more economical than buying a new console every few years. Mind you, I still don't bother with a lot of the high-end AAA games either with very few exceptions such as the nuDoom games. I've probably been saving myself a lot from waiting for new releases to lower in price after a couple of years as well.

14 hours ago, hybridial said:

Does it really? Back when PS4/XBO launched, folks would build themselves a comparable PC, which consisted of a Geforce GTX 750 Ti and 8 GB DDR3 to achieve 1080p30 with high settings similar to PS4.

6 years later, the new games appearing on PS4 still run at 1080p30 for the most part, but your then made rig with GTX 750 Ti and 8 GB DDR3 won't match it anymore at all. That's the console optimization pass right there.

However, PC's and especially Steam play host to a huge array of indie titles, shooters, that often run on lower requirements than needed. Even a Ryzen APU based build would be sufficient to play the vast majority of those at Full HD resolutions. Consoles simply do not have that kind of luxury, despite that a Ryzen APU build often has a console like form factor.

14 hours ago, hybridial said:

No, consoles have as much a liveability as PC gaming does. 150+ million sold consoles over PS4/XBO alone proves this.

I'm excited for the state of the art, although I probably won't end up buying one.

I hear a lot about the graphics, but for me the custom SSD technology sounds like where the real leap is. If the hype is true, ditching load screens will be such an achievement. We've been waiting for the waiting to end for more than three decades now.  Plus the ability to use the disk as RAM will for sure open up some new opportunities in terms of scale and complexity.

Another thought is that it's great to see them innovating on the sound front as well. The graphics frontier is crowded, but it's these kind of things that could set it apart and that you won't get on a PC.  Damn, maybe I will get one.

Edited by holaareola

On 6/12/2020 at 2:26 AM, Remilia Scarlet said:

I'm excited to see all the funny pictures people make based on the design.  But otherwise, I kinda stopped playing consoles about 7 years ago and have been PC-only, so no, I'm not really excited for it.

Same.

2 words. Planned obselecense. PC's are superior in every way. Mods, more game selection, a more mature audience, and upgrading whenever you want. Consoles are good for 2 years until superior PC hardware comes back.

I'm never going back.