Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Logo.png.1e32ce80666fa5494d4d46a9cf87b477.png

Siren is an action/ horror total conversion for Doom 2. 

This mod has im/sim elements and gameplay is typically slower than a vanilla 'let the bodies hit the floor' Doom experience. 

The Redark is a habitation prototype established by The Corporation. 
Residing beneath the surface of Mars, the site has been dark for decades. Untill a few hours ago, this site and its inhabitants did not exist. 

It's down to you to investigate and find out what's down there... 

Discover. Rescue. Survive. Run!

Requires GZDOOM 4.10 or above.

Keybinds needed.

Jump
Crouch
Alt fire 
Reload
Use inventory item
Flashlight
Open PDA

Download:
v0.85 12/03/2024
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ds19vEVjiceXT9ZjgN8BNX0ak2NqfIJv/view?usp=drive_link (edited)

Changelog

Spoiler

Changelogs will restart from v0.85

A full history is available on Discord https://discord.gg/zCVKX8BYG7

Links

Spoiler

Stay up to date with progress and ideas from the workshop:
Siren Discord -  https://discord.gg/zCVKX8BYG7

Help this mod commission an inventory screen:
Kofi - https://ko-fi.com/sirendoommod

Edited by DitheredOutput : Bugfix, update

Do I need a specific GZDoom to run this?

Getting an error while trying to load:

Script error, "Siren 0.25.pk3:mapinfo.bdlite" line 6:
Expected identifier but got integer constant '0x36' instead

I've got 3.5.0.0

Actually, disregard my last post. I was running an ancient version of GZDoom. ;)

On 6/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, DitheredOutput said:

GZDoom only (haven't tested on others)

If you use DECORATE, ACS or ZScript, you don't need to test in other ports, those are resources exclusives to GZDoom.

14 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

If you use DECORATE, ACS or ZScript, you don't need to test in other ports, those are resources exclusives to GZDoom.

k8vavoom supports DECORATE to some extent as well, although most newer mods won't (of course) run on it.

26 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Ah I see, all of those are used so I guess it's GZDoom only.

On 6/18/2020 at 4:15 PM, P41R47 said:

ZDaemon, Odamex, and Zandronum also support ACS, and the latter two also support DECORATE. However, they're all based on old versions of ZDoom (very old in ZDaemon's case) so they won't support e.g. all ACS commands or DECORATE functions.

Unless you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of when features of ACS and DECORATE were added, the only real way to know if a mod which uses them works in these ports is to test them.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

26 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

ZDaemon, Odamex, and Zandronum also support ACS, and the latter two also support DECORATE. However, they're all based on old versions of ZDoom (very old in ZDaemon's case) so they won't support e.g. all ACS commands or DECORATE functions.

Unless you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of when features of ACS and DECORATE were added, the only real way to know if a mod which uses them works in these ports is to test them.

Thanks for clarifying it, Nightmare!
@InDOOMnesia already pointed other ports that also use DECORATE that i didn't know about.
And Yes, i should had spell it better as exclusive to ZDoom derivative ports.

But seeing the author of the TC worked with just GZDoom, and that i highly doubt that other ports support the latest GZDoom features, thats why i reduced the scope of my answer to GZDoom.
Also, i saw some slopes on the trailer, so thats UDMF, right?
What are the ports that support that map format, aside from GZDoom? 

Edited by P41R47

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

What are the ports that support that map format, aside from GZDoom? 

From the wiki:

UDMF version 1.0 was finalized on May 29th, 2008. Support for it is currently implemented in Eternity, GZDoom, 3DGE, Vavoom, ZDoom, Skulltag, Zandronum, ZDBSP, Doom Builder 2 and SLADE 3. It is also expected to be supported in Doomsday.

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Also, i saw some slopes on the trailer, so thats UDMF, right?

ZDoom's had slopes since long before UDMF existed, possibly even before GZDoom existed. See KDIZD for a prominent example of a non-UDMF project which has slopes.

ZDoom slopes are quite possible even in Doom format maps (linedef types 340-347), and in fact there are a few maps that run fine in limit-removing or Boom compatible ports, but have added slopes when run in ZDoom-based ports. Freedoom MAP07 is (or possibly was, I haven't played a recent version lately) one example.

Stacked sectors and 3D floors are also possible in Hexen format, but not Doom format IIRC.

23 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

ZDoom's had slopes since long before UDMF existed, possibly even before GZDoom existed. See KDIZD for a prominent example of a non-UDMF project which has slopes.

ZDoom slopes are quite possible even in Doom format maps (linedef types 340-347), and in fact there are a few maps that run fine in limit-removing or Boom compatible ports, but have added slopes when run in ZDoom-based ports. Freedoom MAP07 is (or possibly was, I haven't played a recent version lately) one example.

Stacked sectors and 3D floors are also possible in Hexen format, but not Doom format IIRC.

Wow, i didn't know that at all. I mean, i know that in the original Doom format one can make a slope-like, a lot of tiny sectors, but not a proper slope. Now this is interesting. Thats makes me wonder, how it isn't aplied more on maps... or is there a restriction for it?
Also, seems that there is a lot of missunderstanding of the slopes, as i read a lot of people saying UDMF=Slopes. Well, maybe i missunderstood it, now i don't know for sure.
You remember a map that uses those lines or a map that have them to properly look at them? Freedoom2 map07 doesn't seem to have them anymore as i didn't see any slope...but you say that they are only visible on zdoom derivatives...check and, nope, i didn't fount it on that map :/

I should clarify that when I say Doom format, I'm just talking about the format of the levels. You'll still need to use a ZDoom-based ports to see them, since they're a ZDoom feature.

Probably the main reason slopes have seen little use in Doom format maps is there's not much point in doing so. If you're aiming purely for (G)ZDoom compatibility, you're much better off going with Hexen or UDMF as you'll have access to a lot more mapping features (e.g. as mentioned, you won't be able to use 3D floors). If you're going for compatibility with other ports, slopes could really only be used as a cosmetic enhancement.

Slopes probably got removed from Freedoom MAP07 when the project was changed from Boom compatible to vanilla compatible. I may still have an old version of FD somewhere. I also used this trick in an old rejected E4M1

I was searching for a thread on DoomWorld right now as I do not use the ZDoom Forums much, I have been playing and, while I do not have a screenshot right now (And I would not like to summon the item.) - There is a bug so far, minor yet notorious where the armor sprite has another, bigger, flickering armor sprite on its spawn.

I do not know why it happens and I can check if you wish even though I actually do not have SLADE3 to do so, but it has startled me twice now lol.

Now, I am still playing and maybe I am barely starting (Currently on the kitchen area), so anything else I find that is worth noting to make the experience even better, I will be sure to tell you, thanks for this awesome mod, I will keep an eye out for new updates on the future so be sure to @Mention me!

EDIT: OH MY GOD HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT SMOKE

EDIT 2: I somehow could kill the unkillable, I used all my ammunition, but I was also softlocked before so I had to godmode for a few seconds stunning it, then remove the godmode when I was a bit far to save and, well, save myself from the softlock.

After that, I kept hitting the smoke a lot whenever I was on its path, I saved before getting to the reactor-looking part and went back to the smoke to see if I could kill, yes - the smoke died but its sprite stays there.

I can tell that was maybe not intentional at all, so I do not know, luckily I did not save when the smoke died.

Edited by Archanhell

On 12/14/2020 at 4:13 AM, Archanhell said:

I was searching for a thread on DoomWorld right now as I do not use the ZDoom Forums much, I have been playing and, while I do not have a screenshot right now (And I would not like to summon the item.) - There is a bug so far, minor yet notorious where the armor sprite has another, bigger, flickering armor sprite on its spawn.

I do not know why it happens and I can check if you wish even though I actually do not have SLADE3 to do so, but it has startled me twice now lol.

Now, I am still playing and maybe I am barely starting (Currently on the kitchen area), so anything else I find that is worth noting to make the experience even better, I will be sure to tell you, thanks for this awesome mod, I will keep an eye out for new updates on the future so be sure to @Mention me!

EDIT: OH MY GOD HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT SMOKE

EDIT 2: I somehow could kill the unkillable, I used all my ammunition, but I was also softlocked before so I had to godmode for a few seconds stunning it, then remove the godmode when I was a bit far to save and, well, save myself from the softlock.

After that, I kept hitting the smoke a lot whenever I was on its path, I saved before getting to the reactor-looking part and went back to the smoke to see if I could kill, yes - the smoke died but its sprite stays there.

I can tell that was maybe not intentional at all, so I do not know, luckily I did not save when the smoke died.

Hi, first of all, thanks for playing! 

I haven't experienced a bug with the armor sprite, but I'll take a look at it. 

Did you find that you can disable the smoke with switches dotted around the station? 

The Smoke monster is totally subject to balancing so the more feedback I get the better. It needs to be deadly, but there has to be options to get it off your back if you're trapped with it. 

I did allow it to be "killed" if the player wants to unload all their ammo into it, although it will resurrect after a while. (The sprite shouldn't remain so that's something I can fix, thankyou.) 

On 12/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, DitheredOutput said:

Hi, first of all, thanks for playing! 

I haven't experienced a bug with the armor sprite, but I'll take a look at it. 

Did you find that you can disable the smoke with switches dotted around the station? 

The Smoke monster is totally subject to balancing so the more feedback I get the better. It needs to be deadly, but there has to be options to get it off your back if you're trapped with it. 

I did allow it to be "killed" if the player wants to unload all their ammo into it, although it will resurrect after a while. (The sprite shouldn't remain so that's something I can fix, thankyou.) 

Hello! 

Yes, I think yesterday or before yesterday I completed this mod, as you can see on this image:

Screenshot_Doom_20201214_215311.png.d545d915508cf51bfc6bd8886b7ebe60.png

The mod was extremely fun and I really look forward to more content on the future, I fortunately did not really found that many bugs, all were related to sprite things, but nothing gamebreaking, map-wise or related to the enemies.

The first bug is the flickering armor sprite, which may be related to one of the addons I used:

image.png.b277a2d7c02a6cbd12923b90e8272b38.png

However, as far as I know none of them affect in-game sprites at all, so I do not know what it could be.

The same thing happened with the blue keycard, which had a flickering sprite of the vanilla blue keycard, I did not notice if this happened with the yellow and red ones, though.

And finally, yeah - the sprite stayed on place when you killed Siren, no idea why this could happen neither!

And thanks, I noticed later on about how to disable Siren, but it was really scary nonetheless, heh.

I think it could be balanced, yeah - for example, the damage it deals is big (I think I once went from 80 or 100 to something between 5 and 20), and is also very fast when it dashes to you.

This adds both to the factor of horror and the lethality the enemy harbours, but I think it could be tweaked a bit.

It can also softlock you if you save on a tight place or somewhere where it reaches you easily, maybe different guns should have different effects on it?

(SSG and Chaingun could stunlock, while the secret plasma rifle deal higher damage compared to the other weaponry)

Hello, it's me again, sorry for the big necroposting but I kind of not want to reactivate my ZDoom account for inactivity, so I decided to instead post here.

I have not checked out Siren's updates for a long time, but recently by January was when I found out that there was a new update (0.6), and I played it ASAP, surprised beyond words for EVERYTHING new that was there, mostly because last time I played while a demo, it felt complete, and this version was just outright awesome.

The beastiary is great with even the weakest zombies proving a threat and every enemy having its role, although the Demon is still the same, just more fitting with the game's theme (Who knows, maybe the TC had all these monsters before, but back then when I played with the Dark Monsters mod I could not see it?)

The second map was equally great and I think Siren was nerfed on a way? Not sure, but I think she was much stronger before and right now is more manageable, well, regardless, after I went down the elevator I swore I'd have to fight the flying cyberdemon again, luckily it was not like that and I experienced a new map taking all my time to explore around.

There were not many problems here I feel, except with the final section where it was extremely hard to clean the area with all these eggs and the spider things, I needed to take a different approach so I could do something about them.

There was also a gamebreaking? bug where I could not activate 2 of the Containment Chamber's panels (The ones on the left of that section, not the ones in the front), so I was practically forced to use noclip there so I could continue the map.

Besides that, I also had problems with exploration because finding some locker codes were hard, some were on logs, others on papers (I got paranoid here and checked every single paper I could find to no avail because just one paper had codes and it was on the morgue), and finding things for the armory, the first map's codes and whatnot were hard, until I found the armory's code a bit before finishing the map I think? I do not remember.

There were also many secrets that were not considered as such, so when finding them there was no message of me discovering a secret, the same happened on the first map.

I am forgetful so I am not sure if there were more things that I wanted to say, I know for sure that the Rhymes/purple things and Credits were something I did not know what to do with for a loooong time until I found a machine on the second map, sadly I can just upgrade the handgun, but it was nice even if there were unupgradeable things there.

I can't wait to see what else awaits us in the future, Siren TC is outright incredible and something more people should know about, the amount of effort, the tense ambience and all of that makes it really great!

On 4/17/2021 at 5:13 PM, DitheredOutput said:

Big bump to 0.5!

So maybe I am just totally blind or something but has the download link been removed?

"Siren TC" GZDoom Mod Only Arsenal/Guns/Weapon Set Showcase in Doom II (Made by "DitheredOutput")

How many maps are completed and planned as of now? I stumbled upon this project by accident and it looks amazing.

On 8/28/2023 at 4:45 PM, Firedust said:

How many maps are completed and planned as of now? I stumbled upon this project by accident and it looks amazing.

Hey, a lot of work has been going on and it will reappear in a few weeks with 3 maps complete. There are 6 maps planned in the initial story I'd like to tell. 

Siren has been updated to 0.85. As the last version here was 0.5 the changelog would be too massive to communicate. A lot has changed.

Updates will be recorded from this base point 

Good thing I've been keeping both eyes glued to the Discord. And to all who haven't, prepare yourself for absolute dopeness.