Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
digithead100

Do you like Doom platforming?

Platforming is cool. Switch hunts are cool. Exploration and obscure level progression are cool. Doom is great for combat, but it's also good at a lot of other things too, and the best maps incorporate more than "just" shooting a lot of things. Of course it's always possible to overdo it on anything.

As a counterpoint: Lately I've occasionally been playing Doom with other people that haven't played it since the 90s. and even then they hadn't played it much, and it's interesting to see how their lack of "Doom literacy" impacts the way they play. "Shoot the monsters in the face" is something that's pretty easy to figure out even if refining the technique takes some time; getting a sense for how Doomguy can move, learning how to explore non-linear maps, and other things seems to take longer, maybe because they aren't skills that transfer well from modern games quite the same. It made me appreciate how frustrating those non-combat elements can be for someone who's still working out the basics of the game and playing it casually, or who just doesn't take well to the non-shooty aspects.

Edited by plums

Never really thought about this as a thing in 3D games.

I must do though, as I made this bit in one of my Hellbreach maps:

Screenshot%20from%202020-06-20%2010-11-0

Spawn on the big floating thing, grab a key and then run across the squares to the teleport exit...

16 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Never really thought about this as a thing in 3D games.

I must do though, as I made this bit in one of my Hellbreach maps:

Screenshot%20from%202020-06-20%2010-11-0

Spawn on the big floating thing, grab a key and then run across the squares to the teleport exit...

Fuck yeah! I like this shit!

Meh. Its there I dont really care much about it unless it punishes you with death if you are not careful. This is why I dislike maps like the chasm especially in coop.

I dont remember much platforming in Doom/Doom 2 but i dont mind it. In D16/Eternal it goes from ok to awful.

21 hours ago, D88M3R said:

I dont remember much platforming in Doom/Doom 2 but i dont mind it. In D16/Eternal it goes from ok to awful.

i guess you never played any Doom mapsets in the past decade then?

But i guess any excuse to share your hate for Doom Eternal is needed

On 6/29/2020 at 6:50 PM, jazzmaster9 said:

i guess you never played any Doom mapsets in the past decade then?

But i guess any excuse to share your hate for Doom Eternal is needed

I have barely played any fan wads, but no, i dont remember much platforming.

I dont hate Eternal/D16, they have some good moments but otherwise i feel indifferent, they get repetitive (boring) very soon.
I actually really liked how Eternal starts but then goes into D16 problems all over again.
And when everything clicks it is indeed pretty fun, but is just something else.

I don't really mind platforming elements in 2016/Eternal, the new games work pretty well with verticality.

The old games though... ah, I don't like any map that uses ZDoom mechanics like jumping or crouching. If its just for context in map like Cheogsh I don't mind, but when it comes to platforming? I wouldn't play a wad if it involved any of that. I'm a combat fan 100%, not a platforming fan.

It's hard to say, when I whip through a hard platforming section smoothly I feel like a doom god incarnate, and when I mess up I want to dunk my monitor out the window. It's a complicated relationship.

I like platforming.  I've spent many nights playing bhop in CSS, a good way to relax to music and practice movement in a unique way. 

I would imagine that the best answer to this question would have to have a few more things.

First off, how BADLY are you penalized for falling? Would you fall to your death in an inescapable pit, ending your run which probably took awhile until that point, or just find an escape teleporter and lose a lot of progress? And if the latter, just how much progress is lost and if you have to go back, how long does it take/how much pain is endured to make it back there?

I'm okay with platforming as long as it's a good challenge, and preferably an optional one away from the main meat of the level. Platforming to get a secret BFG or other powerup works well enough, as the challenge of getting something to make the rest of the level easier makes sense.

Platform sections in maps are very gratifying to complete when you've practiced them extensively and can do them smoothly. It's really fun. Sunder map05 comes to mind for me personally. It's one of my favorites in the WAD.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, Aaron Blain said:

I agree. Feedback in general is the key. That's why we started seeing this fluidity of 1st/3rd person games. The first one I remember is Eradicator, but the first time I really enjoyed it was Riddick. Switching to 3rd person in Zdoom doesn't feel great because there's not enough feedback built in.

I played the demo of this on a PC Gamer cd, I believe, and totally enjoyed it:

Montezuma's Return! is an awesome game.

Not really a fan in general but it’s not too bad so long as it fits the level :-D

Unless your jumping onto teeny, tiny little platforms with zero room for error or over inescapable pits. That kinda thing can piss right off!

I've gotten better at that platforming trope that seems quite common in classic Doom, where the player has to run across the top of a series of pillars and maintain momentum in order to proceed. Don't find them any more fun, but at least they're not as frustrating as they used to be. Platforming in classic is mostly tolerable and occasionally tedious, unless stuff like jumping and mantling is allowed.

Platforming in D16/DE honestly feels like less of a chore and more like fun, because the player has more mobility options and just gets plonked back in the level if they fall down a bottomless pit or some such. Sometimes you get that in classic Doom WADs which is nice.