Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

How do you download unofficial classic doom games?

I starting to think this guy really is the Doomguy incarnate: he dodge all of our answers and make us infight endlessly about nothing :/

39 minutes ago, Marn said:

What kind of bizarro world do you live in where telling people to have some empathy for others is considered distasteful   

I beg your pardon, but it was not me, who wrote giving this guy attitude is tasteless!!

Could we please now return to the topic, if ever?

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

Y'all should really be able to take the hint and stop giving this guy attitude. It's tasteless and that should be vastly clear by now.

Hey, off topic, when there'll be a WAD where Nightmare! is easier than Hurt Me Plenty? :P

6 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I tried so hard but I haven't been able to download any unofficial classic Doom games. Therefore all I could play all the time was Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom. Official ones.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?search

Change the search field to "Title" then type the name of the wad you're looking for in the "For" field.

7 minutes ago, Master O said:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?search

Change the search field to "Title" then type the name of the wad you're looking for in the "For" field.

The problem is that he doesn't know how to load em, doesn't know where is his doom folder and doesn't know what file extension means.
Its pretty difficult to help him and besides he doesn't read much of the responses we gave him :/
I already made a tutorial for him about how to load things with Doom Retro as he was seeking a port more faithful to vanilla doom...

But he said he doesn't understand much because of language barriers.
I want to help, but well... its not easy.

Let's wait for some reply.
@Can't play on Nightmare : Any progress from your site? Did any of our posts help?

One of the easiest ways of launching a WAD file is to right-click and go under properties>Opens with and change it to your source port of choice - although in some cases it may not work. I have it set to ZDoom by default so all I have to do is double-click any WAD to launch it immediately with the correct IWAD. However if you wish to launch multiple wads at once, you can download something like ZDL or Doom Launcher for managing source ports and multiple wad files.

1 hour ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Guys, thanks for helps, replies but I couldnt make it. I am sorry.

But tell us what you can't do, please.

If we work it a little more, we surely can help you play new levels.

14 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

But tell us what you can't do, please.

If we work it a little more, we surely can help you play new levels.

What is needed is a screencap of each seperate step in downloading a WAD, setting up a launcher, and so on.

It worked the last time. Its just a ton of work to do so, but the inherent problem is that the OP is simply not savvy enough.

Effectively, whenever a new question will arise, the solution will have to come in such a screencap heavy format.

The other solution lies with the OP itself and that is to follow a computer course at his locales.

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

What is needed is a screencap of each seperate step in downloading a WAD, setting up a launcher, and so on.

It worked the last time. Its just a ton of work to do so, but the inherent problem is that the OP is simply not savvy enough.

Effectively, whenever a new question will arise, the solution will have to come in such a screencap heavy format.

The other solution lies with the OP itself and that is to follow a computer course at his locales.

Yeah, it worked. I don't understand how it stoped to work.
I think that he just doesn't found DoomRetro launcher inside his folders, and just Launch Doom via gog or steam.
So he just need a shortcut to be able to play at anytime.

7 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

So I have to download Doom 2 exe, then drag this wad into Doom 2 exe, then it will open if I understood correctly (I cant find exe files in GZDoom, a friend of mine made GZDoom playable for me). I download Doom 2 exe, then.  If I can't make it, I will tell this to that friend.

It's hard to imagine there isn't some kind of executable file. What do you normally click to start GZDoom? Click and drag the .wad file into whatever that is, if you haven't tried that already. If that doesn't work, maybe ask your friend about this.

@Can't play on Nightmare

Go to https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

1447011752_Screenshot(43).png.b5a1598a7dd578db72d947607c4d04e9.png

Click "Search" at the top right. For example, lets type in "scythe2" without the quotation signs, and then hit the enter key without clicking anything else first.

You should now be here:

677824009_Screenshot(44).png.ef50f58e000e4cc30dcf5046272f5f2a.png

Just click on one of the "download mirrors" and wait until the file is done downloading.

Once the file has finished downloading, you need to open it. It should look something like this (I closed my web browser after downloading the file).

1840278043_Screenshot(45).png.793b25839a84410680c4708579383681.png

My desktop has a lot of stuff on it (my apologies), but there are two main things to see here. In the black window, there is a file called "scythe2.wad", and on the desktop there is a blue circle titled "GZDoom".

You want to hover your cursor over scythe2.wad, click, and (while holding the click) drag it over to somewhere on the desktop.

Now it should appear on your desktop somewhere. After that, you need to drag scythe2.wad onto the GZDoom icon. It should say something like "open with GZDoom". You can release the mouse now and it should open the .wad file.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Ok, let's try it the other way round: I have attached the file " doomdata.rar. " 
This contains everything you need to play additional wads.
Please download and extract. You'll get a folder "doomdata" containing many files.
Open This folder and doubleclick the file "1_AV.bat" Maybe you don't see the file extension. In this case please
doubleclick "1_AV". This will start 32-bit GZDOOM with the FREEDOOM2 iwad playing the famous
ALIEN VENDETTA Black Label megawad.

Please let us know, what's happening

doomdata.rar

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I think that he just doesn't found DoomRetro launcher inside his folders, and just Launch Doom via gog or steam.

Precisely.  @StevenC21's screen-by-screen (hopefully) works. Else you would need to work with animated gifs or macro's. And wouldn't that be overkill?

2 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Ok, let's try it the other way round: I have attached the file " doomdata.rar. " 
This contains everything you need to play additional wads.
Please download and extract. You'll get a folder "doomdata" containing many files.
Open This folder and doubleclick the file "1_AV.bat" Maybe you don't see the file extension. In this case please
doubleclick "1_AV". This will start 32-bit GZDOOM with the FREEDOOM2 iwad playing the famous
ALIEN VENDETTA Black Label megawad.

Please let us know, what's happening

doomdata.rar

46 minutes ago, dmslr said:

"But how do I extract it?"

Unironically that would be my first question if i were the OP. This assumes the OP knows what a rar file is and how to open it. Given that the OP opens WAD files directly, i would have to assume WinRAR is not installed. Opening up a rar file will then end up with a comment to the effect of ''I tried to open this but it says that Windows can't open this file.''

That isn't to say this is very helpful indeed dmslr :)

As you might have noticed, he is using WINRAR, which is clearly visible in the photos he posted.  But -at this point I do agree-  I am afraid, that he possibly might not be aware of the fact, that
EXTRACT and OPEN/RUN are two terms describing completely different actions.

EDIT: Could somebody with a windows machine & winrar please download my doomdata.rar and turn it into an self-extracting archive (automatically extract to desktop)? That would make things perfectly easy...

Edited by DoomGater

13 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Working the unofficial wads in actual Doom 2 is what I can't do.

Doom 2 exe is in the pc.

13 hours ago, P41R47 said:

That Doom 2 that I dowloaded from you also stops working in the same day after I play a while.

One time a friend of mine made it playable after it stopped working but in a short while, it stopped working twice.

I think I must just play with Doom 2 exe in 200X320 pixels but thats terrible resolution so I wanna go back to GZDoom. GZDoom also stops working after every a few saves but it is not a permanent stopping like that Doom 2 I downloaded from you so I can open it again and play again like that at least.

I also finished Episode 1 of Doom on Nightmare in GZ Doom a few days ago, which was my first time to finish it on nightmare but I couldn't pass level 6 of Episode 2. I got stuck there.

I also finished Heretic's 1st episode in the hardest difficulty with respawning enemies which was to practice the nightmare difficulty of Doom in Heretic (GZDoom).

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

1- Drop all of your official doom .WAD files on GZDoom's folder.

2- Download any unofficial wad you want and put it on the same folder as the official ones.

3- Drag the wad into gzdoom's icon.

4-A screen will show up showing the names of the games you have, select the game needed to play the wad (usually Doom 2).

5- Now you can play Unofficial Doom Game™ on Nightmare difficulty.

53 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

That Doom 2 that I dowloaded from you also stops working in the same day after I play a while.

One time a friend of mine made it playable after it stopped working but in a short while, it stopped working twice.

I think I must just play with Doom 2 exe in 200X320 pixels but thats terrible resolution so I wanna go back to GZDoom. GZDoom also stops working after every a few saves but it is not a permanent stopping like that Doom 2 I downloaded from you so I can open it again and play again like that at least.

I also finished Episode 1 of Doom on Nightmare in GZ Doom a few days ago, which was my first time to finish it on nightmare but I couldn't pass level 6 of Episode 2. I got stuck there.

I also finished Heretic's 1st episode in the hardest difficulty with respawning enemies which was to practice the nightmare difficulty of Doom in Heretic (GZDoom).

Please be more precise. We cannot help without detailled knowledge.

WHICH "DOOM2" stopped working? Is there an error message?
Did you download and extract doomdata.rar?
Do you now have a doomdata folder?
What happens when you double click the "1_AV" file?

Edited by DoomGater : just fragged some typos

1 hour ago, DoomGater said:

EDIT: Could somebody with a windows machine & winrar please download my doomdata.rar and turn it into an self-extracting archive (automatically extract to desktop)? That would make things perfectly easy...

A self-extracting exe/archive may throw an error on his computer if there is sufficient virus protection. But yes that would be ideal.

45 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Working the unofficial wads in actual Doom 2 is what I can't do.

Doom 2 exe is in the pc.

Please follow the steps outlined here. Don't comment inbetween - Just do that first.

41 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I think I must just play with Doom 2 exe in 200X320 pixels but thats terrible resolution so I wanna go back to GZDoom.

For the sake of it: ofcourse that's a terrible resolution since you don't play Doom2 that way. Its 320x200, not 200x320.

can't you just drag a .wad file into gzdoom.exe and run it?

that's the most barebones way to play without having a launcher for the more multi-wad ones.

54 minutes ago, Smouths said:

OP, you're from Brazil right? I don't speak Portuguese, but maybe this will help.

step1.jpg

step2.png

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

Hey, I'm brazilian, I can help in our language. 

Please, OP, confirm it. 

1 hour ago, Smouths said:

OP, you're from Brazil right? I don't speak Portuguese, but maybe this will help.

34 minutes ago, arnaldocsf said:

Hey, I'm brazilian, I can help in our language. 

Please, OP, confirm it. 

Thanks for the help, but, unfortunately, OP is from Turkey.
I think @JadingTsunami gave OP a link with instructions on Turkish but its seems he doesn't look at it.

Just now, P41R47 said:

Thanks for for the help, but no, OP is from Turkey.
I think @JadingTsunami gave OP a link with instructions on Turkish but its seems he doesn't look at it.

Ah, my bad everybody- I must've confused him with someone else.

8 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Thanks for the help, but, unfortunately, OP is from Turkey.

Pretty sure OP wants help but doesn't want help (for some mind boggling reasons) and he doesn't even help matters with his attitude.