Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spowmtom

Let me relax for a bit... What are some easy maps ?

Life is tough and sometimes, you just want to listen to a romance audio book, drink some water and play some Doom, you don't want to sweat bullets and in fact, may not want to shoot too many either. Or maybe you simply don't have the time for a slaughter map, you want something short and sweet, something easy you wouldn't even struggle without a mouse.

What are your favorite easy maps ?

17 minutes ago, Spowmtom said:

Life is tough and sometimes, you just want to listen to a romance audio book, drink some water and play some Doom, you don't want to sweat bullets and in fact, may not want to shoot too many either. Or maybe you simply don't have the time for a slaughter map, you want something short and sweet, something easy you wouldn't even struggle without a mouse.

What are your favorite easy maps ?

Demonfear, ill keep on mentioning it because its not a standout mapset, but its quick, its quite easy, its fun and its the ideal weekend WAD.

Revolution! is also a solid pick for an easy WAD I think. Perhaps not the greatest set of maps you'll ever play, but like the Demonfear recommendation above, it's quick, almost always quite fun, and pretty easy. It's been a while since I played it though, so there may be the occasional slight bump in difficulty level, but I don't think it ever gets even remotely out of hand difficulty-wise.

I highly recommend playing it with the MIDI pack, really adds to the experience.

Edited by ironicmoustache

25 Years of Doom is mostly easy, altough you might die here and there.

Also:

Doom The Way Id Did 1 & 2

Needs More Detail

Deathless

This is something I collect. Not yet mentioned but high on my list include:

Whispers of Satan
EPIC
Birthday Bash
Flashback To Hell
Goetia
Chainworm Commando

Legacy of Heroes

Also its a good chance to post this image again! Guess it needs updating with some of the newer crazies though...
C1WfTWRUQAACSdE.jpg:large

The Rebirth is an early one I remember enjoying a lot for it's short levels and comfortable difficulty. I imagine with a lot of popular map sets, you could drop the difficulty to "I'm Too Young To Die" or "Hey, Not Too Rough!" and have a pretty nice, chilled out time.

22 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Demonfear, ill keep on mentioning it because its not a standout mapset, but its quick, its quite easy, its fun and its the ideal weekend WAD.

Have you tried the midi pack i made?

I would love some feedback by you!
Also, shamless plug :P

11 minutes ago, Phobus said:

The Rebirth is an early one I remember enjoying a lot for it's short levels and comfortable difficulty. I imagine with a lot of popular map sets, you could drop the difficulty to "I'm Too Young To Die" or "Hey, Not Too Rough!" and have a pretty nice, chilled out time.

With MIDI Packs, everything is better ;)

On 6/14/2020 at 9:57 AM, Good-Old said:

Most maps from the 90's are easy. Give the Top 10's of 1994, 1995, and the other years.

Those are a "best of" list though. A lot of maps from '94 and '95 were sporadic in there gameplay, being very unfair in there difficulty levels. Some having keys hidden as secrets (mandatory secrets), tons of monsters and not enough resources, weird/just plain bad level layouts ect. So i wouldn't say that they were all easy. Some of the very early ones didn't even have difficulty levels. Also some of them weren't even meant for pistol starts so they can be very rough when you play like that. 

If you love switch hunts and mazes you'll love early Doom maps.

1 hour ago, CyberDreams said:

Those are a "best of" list though. A lot of maps from '94 and '95 were sporadic in there gameplay, being very unfair in there difficulty levels. Some having keys hidden as secrets (mandatory secrets), tons of monsters and not enough resources, weird/just plain bad level layouts ect. So i wouldn't say that they were all easy. Some of the very early ones didn't even have difficulty levels. Also some of them weren't even meant for pistol starts so they can be very rough when you play like that. 

If you love switch hunts and mazes you'll love early Doom maps.

I agree, I said that because I found some of those really easy (Doomsday of UAC) which was one of the best wads of 1994. It was actually pretty good, there's a reason it got to the top 10. 

What's wrong with switch hunts?

5 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Too much cause the map's progression to be tedious and will likely make the map itself losts its replayability.

I think the skill of navigation is very under-rated by this community. Impatience with maze-y layouts and valuing the ability to kill hordes of monsters is just focusing too much on one area of skill, IMO. Try to be a more holistic Doomer - embrace having to remember where things are and exploration :P

Personally I'm far more likely to either get bored or frustrated with a level that has too many monsters than one with too many switch hunts - especially if it's a good looking level where I can admire the scenery while doing so.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, Redneckerz said:

That megawad is so monotonous it feels like it was SLIGE generated.

Also, there are better E1 remakes than Fava Beans: Retro, Classic-Episode, Dawn of the Dead.

1 hour ago, printz said:

That megawad is so monotonous it feels like it was SLIGE generated.

Also, there are better E1 remakes than Fava Beans: Retro, Classic-Episode, Dawn of the Dead.

I mean, agree to disagree. I feel it deviates enough from a generated megawad to be fun and entertaining.

The Journey, is total blast! I completed it a few days back and its awesome!

Small to medium size limit removing maps with just the right amount of details. Really great one man megawad!

I don't understand how it isn't better know.

Has all the things that made a good wad, good looking areas, good monster encounters, balanced challenge in most difficulties (UV might lack some ammo, but the author wanted it to be played survival style), and a really challenging ending map.

Also, the titlepic is neat as hell!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 2002: A Doom Odyssey.

Its a really relaxed traditional looking megawad for UDoom.

Edited by P41R47

Easy is my middle name!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/m-o/mohawks

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/p-r/rwdyrudy

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/sinseven

All short, sweet and easy.

Also, if you want to turn slaughtermaps from nail-biters into shotgun therapy, I recommend Super Power Guns! Basically makes all the guns into a roided-out counterpart. Tell that stress to go fuck itself!

http://www.doomshack.org/wads/superpowerguns.wad

Here are a few other fun/easy/relaxing maps off the top of my head:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/doomcity

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/puppy

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/p-r/phobos

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/area51

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/p-r/ph_mini

So many more I’m forgetting!

Deathless, Epic, Moonblood, DTWID, Legacy of Heroes, Return to Hadron, Whispers of Satan.

21 hours ago, Good-Old said:

I agree, I said that because I found some of those really easy (Doomsday of UAC) which was one of the best wads of 1994. It was actually pretty good, there's a reason it got to the top 10. 

That's a great map! One of my favs tbh. Nothing is particularly wrong with switch hunts. I don't mind them tbh, as long as they aren't too tedious. I was just stating that a lot of the early maps had quite a bit of "switch hunts" and "mazes". But than again Doom had its fair share of switches and some maze like gameplay as well so...lol

On 6/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, Grazza said:

See my posts here and here for a few recommendations.

Revolution! and NITELIFE look interesting.

I've never played Demonfear so that might be interesting as well.

I also second Fava Beans and for a single map Doom City is simple and fun.

21 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 2002: A Doom Odyssey.

Definitely second this one. 

Also, in a similar vein, try Armadosia. Massive levels, but very chillaxing to play.