Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Unpopular Doom Opinions

47 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

What would you do with a RL in a tight area with little escape?  Nothing. Try Again

Again, think about it before you comment.

you DONT get it do you? RL and SSG have equal usefulness there is NO overrated weapon like you seem to believe. 

But i give up im done replying to someone who cant get a hint.

@jazzmaster9 this is exactly why I put my comment up yesterday.

6 hours ago, DoomGater said:

I love Nightmare! And I win!

Urges to make Nazism joke

Necrobumping just to say that Doom 3 is a better experience than Doom 2016.  Doom 3 is a slow burner that builds tension to a wonderful crescendo.  Doom 2016 shoots its WAD (see what I did there?) in the first half hour and then becomes pretty pedestrian with no surprises and at least the same linearity in level design that people give D3 a hard time for.

2 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I consider Doom 3 to be canon (and taking place before Doom 1, in the same continuity, all the while both Doom RPG games happen between both).

That just makes sense. I don't get why Doom 3 is considered non - canon . 

2 hours ago, Average said:

Necrobumping just to say that Doom 3 is a better experience than Doom 2016.  Doom 3 is a slow burner that builds tension to a wonderful crescendo.  Doom 2016 shoots its WAD (see what I did there?) in the first half hour and then becomes pretty pedestrian with no surprises and at least the same linearity in level design that people give D3 a hard time for.

A bold take, but I kind of agree. Doom 2016 was a neat novelty when it came out, but after about 2 hours I was bored to tears. It becomes incredibly repetitive. Doom 3 feels like it's building up the whole time. I'm not crazy about new Doom. They're good games, just not my cup of tea, I guess. 

I believe my take is doubly unpopular because I treat it as a prequel rather than taking place in "another timeline". Pretty sure it being its own separate thing is the majority belief for practically everyone except the "weird people".

3 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I believe my take is doubly unpopular because I treat it as a prequel rather than taking place in "another timeline". Pretty sure it being its own separate thing is the majority belief for practically everyone except the "weird people".

Yeah, I'm one of the weird people, too.  I do think of John Kane as a character distinct from Doomguy rather than the story any kind of reboot or retelling.  I actually really enjoyed Matt Costello's 2 books as well.  I'm still sad that the 3rd never got a release.  I contacted Matt years ago and he said that although he had written the 3rd book the publisher wasn't interested as sales of the first 2 had been poor.  Such a shame that it's just languishing. :( 

7 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I consider Doom 3 to be canon (and taking place before Doom 1, in the same continuity, all the while both Doom RPG games happen between both).

i always considered it to just be another world separated from the classic cannon

rage has some connections to it and its likely that they take place in the same continuity with earth being hit by an asteroid sometime after doom 3

11 minutes ago, Ivancia said:

I really like Tom Hall maps in Doom I, there you go, i said it

Tom Hall maps are awesome! I really like Refueling Base from Doom 2 as well. Though Sandy might've had more work to do in it. 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:21 AM, AverageDoomguy said:

Okay if it counts, I enjoy playing 1994 wads after midnight.

You like those Maximum DOOM classics, eh?

As for me? Injecting at least the outline of a story can add something to the DOOM experience. Maybe that is more of a debated position than an unpopular one.

Obligatory ranking of various wads here |

V

MASTERLEVELS<MEMENTO MORI<TNT<DOOM2<E1<E2<E3<PLUTONIA<ALIEN VENDETTA<HELL REVEALED

Edited by Puncher_Sponge

On 11/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Doomguy could benefit from a sidekick, even if it's in a spin-off that's non-canon.

There's this port that might be right up your alley, it lets you have dogs.

Little know, very hard to find, but look for MBF.

Then launch with "-dog"

My sarcasm is hopefully obvious.

I was kinda underwhelmed by my prior answer to this thread. Had time to think about it tonight. 

Here's one; I love The Chasm (E2M4 of DOOM 2) There's an unpopular DOOM opinion for you. 

Mind you, it's not so much the gameplay I'm in love with, it's the idea, the look. Say what you will about it, id were in a place where they could push the engine a bit further. They were trying to do different things. There were bound to be hits and misses. 

Yeah, the rims are hard to fight on, but why shouldn't we have been thrown a curve ball? 

I understand that many peoe are going to have many reasons why this particular curve ball was not...fair? Is DOOM fair? I also get it that it's particularly awful for speed runners, I've watched the explanations on YouTube. I just felt that it was a cool looking level, once again I dig the music. For me it added something worthwhile to the DOOM 2 experience. 

That does NOT therefore mean that I am standing up on some cliff in that level with Evilman, sneering at all the people who have suffered so much annoyance from it, but I just kinda like the level.

few people who know that john carmack never made the first two dooms canon for him only doom 3 was canon until 2009 when it was announced that doom 4 would not be connected with doom 3 and he and the games associated with it not canon too also but not a reboot of the series, took the information from book masters of doom and here is a link about doom 4.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hollenshead-doom-4-not-a-sequel

My unpopular Doom opinion is that the Controversial Doom Opinion thread should never have been renamed and that people migrating here was the natural consequence of that.

I don't consider your wad as vanilla if I have to launch a dehacked file with it.

13 minutes ago, Roofi said:

I don't consider your wad as vanilla if I have to launch a dehacked file with it.

Dude, that's a pretty strict limit but I do like your thinking. :)  If you had to give it a name what would you call it?  Vanilla+?

Bonus unpopular opinion:  I don't think Doom Annihiliation is a bad film - even a good B-Movie.  It just seems people are awfully quick to jump all over a low budget project funded by big money.  I'm hoping the sequel does happen and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, too.

Bonus, bonus (probably not so) unpopular opinion:  I think DA is a better Doom film than the 2005 release.

Ultra omega necrobump. Why is thread dead anyway.

-Every wad need to make UV its additional setting. People always care about players with less skill, but what about players that are willing to face some worthy challenges? Just ignore stupid people who insist on playing on UV, step out of the comfort zone and make something you find very challenging.

-We can really utilize dehacked stuff on slaughter maps more. Low health cyber is cool, but I'm willing to see more of them.

-Most wads' custom weapons are just reskins with a different stat to be honest. With the release MBF21, I want to see more and more creative stuff, struggle's bfg is a good example.