Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Unpopular Doom Opinions

I prefer the original plasma gun sound than the Doom 3's one.

Plasma gun feels weaker when mappers replace its sound with doom 3's one.

I love when mappers replace sounds of the others guns than the plasma gun (check the megawad Pandora as an exemple)

20 minutes ago, Roofi said:

I prefer the original plasma gun sound than the Doom 3's one.

Now this is just unacceptable. Sir, I'm gonna ask you to drop the WAD and put your hands in the air.

10 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

TNT Evilution is the best IWAD.
Fight me.

Alright, meet me at 38°51'56.5"N 98°51'16.0"W at 6 PM 8/5/2022. Weapons are optional but wont help you.

4 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

That's a hot take. I honestly don't know if I can argue it, because I still have a blast replaying Plutonia. Idk, something like Alien Vendetta or maybe Ancient Aliens are more consistently enjoyable to me. 

Final Doom rocks and I love both games.

AV comes REALLY close.

I prefer the original plasma gun sound over the Doom 3 one too, but I do think its volume is too high

I've treaded a lot of this territory before in other threads but let's dump some of it out here

• TNT is my favorite IWAD--it's an uneven adventure, but its best bits are beautiful and highly memorable
    • MAP18, MAP20, MAP21, and MAP27 are my favorite maps from TNT (well and also MAP15, but people like to hate on those other maps more)
    • The low-quality TNT textures are quirky and awesome
  • Fortress of Mystery is my favorite IWAD secret level
  • The WolfSS are a fun enemy to fight and amusing to see around and wish mappers would be more willing to use them just for funsies
  • Giant, slow-paced maps are cool
  • Puzzles and exploration can be just as fun as frantic action in a Doom map
  • Pain elementals aren't that bad, and even if their niche is narrower than for some enemies I still love the madlad energy an unrestricted group of them can bring to an encounter
    • Same goes with lots of hitscanners, as long as the player is adequately resourced
  • The OG palsma rifle sound is perfect
On 7/19/2022 at 1:00 AM, Omega Tyrant said:

At Doom's Gate is only decent, and in general the metal and other upbeat songs in Doom's soundtrack are mediocre or outright annoying with a few exceptions. The songs that establish a real atmosphere or fill you with outright dread like Sign Of Evil and Suspense are where Doom's soundtrack mostly shined.

I also 10000 million% agree with this and I'm tired of the image that Doom music has to be all metal and ripping and tearing and uptempo all the time

Just now, Stupid Bunny said:
  • Fortress of Mystery is my favorite IWAD secret level

May I ask why? I'm just not sure what's particularly enjoyable about it.

1 minute ago, Stupid Bunny said:

I also 10000 million% agree with this and I'm tired of the image that Doom music has to be all metal and ripping and tearing and uptempo all the time

Definitely agree with this.

20 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

Puzzles and exploration can be just as fun as frantic action in a Doom map

Have you heard of Magnolia and Finely Crafted Fetish Film? ;D

Habitat is a decent map.
The only area that is bad is the outside area with fake walls and a archvile with no cover.
the rest of the map is different and weird, I like it.

2 hours ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

AV comes REALLY close.

AV seems like the natural continuation of the Plutonia style. Not a recreation, but a fleshing out. It's a great, great wad.

1 hour ago, Stupid Bunny said:

I've treaded a lot of this territory before in other threads but let's dump some of it out here

• TNT is my favorite IWAD--it's an uneven adventure, but its best bits are beautiful and highly memorable
    • MAP18, MAP20, MAP21, and MAP27 are my favorite maps from TNT (well and also MAP15, but people like to hate on those other maps more)
    • The low-quality TNT textures are quirky and awesome

Although I don't know if I can pick a favorite IWAD (I love them all) I agree with all of this. Map15 is alright, but most of those big, late TNT maps are awesome. Very atmospheric and well fleshed out. I also like the funky TNT textures too.

Fortress of Mystery is my favorite IWAD secret level

Wack. 

In a world with Military Base, Warrens, Pharoah, Cyberden, and Go 2 it, Fortress of Mystery is your favorite? On topic with the thread though haha. Curious what you like about it.

*the rest* 

Big agree, especially about the music. The best fast paced music for Doom is stuff like TNT and HR2 imo. Punchy synths, thumpy bass, etc.

2 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Wack. 

In a world with Military Base, Warrens, Pharoah, Cyberden, and Go 2 it, Fortress of Mystery is your favorite? On topic with the thread though haha. Curious what you like about it.

Well, it’s a simple matter of

yy5vnik7vxu01.png?auto=webp&s=f5b9ae6198

Like I’ve definitely spent much more time playing and replaying Pharaoh and Go 2 It, they are both excellent maps and emblematic in some ways of everything that makes their respective IWADs what they are. But I just love the spirit behind Fortress of Mystery, it’s so small and weird and it tells a tiny story of its own and I like the useless key non-puzzle at the end and frankly it’s always entertaining to give the demons a runaround and get them all fighting each other. I can’t really explain it, the map just has a special idiosyncratic charm to me that none of the others do. It really feels like Sandy just having a good time, playing with a silly little idea and then calling it a map. I dunno I respect that. Besides, I’m a huge sucker for minimalism and things that are included for no reason. It’s the same reason why I love the pointless pain elemental cage in MAP28, it gives it so much more personality that way.

Actually, Military Base is my least favorite of the bunch (no comment on Fear since, confession time, I’ve barely played E4), not because I think it’s a bad map but because there’s nothing about it that screams “secret level” to me. I mean I guess it has more kit, and a teleport trap of a kind that’s rare in E1, but I like secret levels to really pop and Military Base just feels like it mostly could’ve been slotted anywhere else in the episode.

Weapon mods are better for slaughter maps. They aren't fun vanilla but literally any other weapon mod /gameplay mod makes them more enjoyable 

6 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

• Giant, slow-paced maps are cool
  • Puzzles and exploration can be just as fun as frantic action in a Doom map

Absolutely all of this. I especially like when giant maps aren't too slaughter-ish and more feel like a whole episode in a single map (holding the BFG until the climax is especially great). Also, the fact that the iwads have more atmospheric and slow tracks than some people give them credit for just emphasizes the more metal ones like I Sawed the Demons, Into Sandy's City, and Into the Beast's Belly.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, more of a rant, but inconclusive rooms or switches that indicate nothing so you can retread areas you've already been to and see that nothing has changed, prompting you to go look up a walkthrough on doomwiki or a YT playthrough. This happens a little too often for my tastes, I do have a bad habit of missing small details, as often revealed in videos but I like to think I have pretty good spatial awareness (I don't get lost in Wolf3D) so it takes a special kind of fucking up on the mapper's part to completely lose the player. Like what the hell am I suppose to be doing now? I don't enjoy spending 10 minutes running the same places over and over just because it wasn't at all obvious what you're doing now. Being left hanging fucking sucks.

I don't know if this counts, but i think OTEX is objectively worse than more Vanilla styled texture packs. The reasoning is because this pack can only be used in a vaccum, most other resources create a stark contrast between the BUILDEngine styled OTEX and everything else.

E4M2 honestly is not that hard from a Pistol start, it's easier to Pistol start than E4M1 (and the level gives you much more to work with than E4M1 in terms of health and ammo).

Community Chest 1 is better paced than many of the well-regarded community and team projects from 10's and 20's such as BTSX E2 and Devilution.

19 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

can’t really explain it, the map just has a special idiosyncratic charm to me that none of the others do. It really feels like Sandy just having a good time, playing with a silly little idea and then calling it a map. I dunno I respect that. Besides, I’m a huge sucker for minimalism and things that are included for no reason. It’s the same reason why I love the pointless pain elemental cage in MAP28, it gives it so much more personality that way.

That's entirely fair. I actually quite like pistol starting it because you gotta make a mad dash to run from the Barons. I suppose it's kind of a clever level in that manner. I still think it's the worst (though Fear is terrible [you gotta play more E4 man, it's great!].) of Ultimate Doom's secret levels but I do like the sort of unjustified fun. Or I guess I like the idea of "it's fun, so who cares?" Fortress of Mystery (great name btw) is weird but I really like your outlook on it.

Also, Military Base is pretty replaceable I guess. I'm biased as it was the first secret map I found lol. It felt awesome to find it. The teleport trap fight is also still a good time imo.

19 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

Like I’ve definitely spent much more time playing and replaying Pharaoh and Go 2 It, they are both excellent maps and emblematic in some ways of everything that makes their respective IWADs what they are

Definitely agree. The beautiful music and unique texturing and layout of Pharaoh really show off the adventure and intrigue of TNT and the over the top fights and repurposement of Doom 2 concepts in a more engaging manner really is thesis statement for Plutonia. Good point. 

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

because it wasn't at all obvious what you're doing now. Being left hanging fucking sucks.

Yeah, you get it; hate that. Glad maps don't do it as often nowadays. 

6 hours ago, Bep said:

Community Chest 1 is better paced than many of the well-regarded community and team projects from 10's and 20's such as BTSX E2 and Devilution.

I LOVE Community Chest, but I don't know about that. I have played and replayed more CChest than BTSX E2 though, so maybe you got a point.

35 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Also, Military Base is pretty replaceable I guess. I'm biased as it was the first secret map I found lol. It felt awesome to find it.

I think Military Base is easily the worst of Ultimate Doom’s four secret levels. There’s nothing about it that warrants being a secret or is particularly rewarding. I’d skip it every time if the chain of secrets leading up to it in E1M3 weren’t so darn fun.

2 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Megawads with 32 maps are overrated, like literally.

i'm interested in an elaboration on what exactly your perspective is. my perspective is they tend to be blindly praised more than any other submission, people like to make people feel appreciated for their work so there is almost always going to be an inherent praise regardless of the quality of the work, which i think is a good & healthy thing over all. megawads are flashy & huge, as a result people feel more obligation to make the author feel appreciated, which teeters on the brink of comicality when it receives 30 updoots & a dozen 5 star ratings in an hour before many have touched it--let alone played the entire thing. 

DOOM looks so much better in its original 320x200 resolution it's not even funny.

4 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

I think Military Base is easily the worst of Ultimate Doom’s four secret levels. There’s nothing about it that warrants being a secret or is particularly rewarding. I’d skip it every time if the chain of secrets leading up to it in E1M3 weren’t so darn fun.

Ain’t this the truth, I’m always so underwhelmed by the level itself but it has what must easily be the best secret level access in any of the IWADs that I always end up playing it anyway. E1M3 in general is a dream for secret hunters.

4 hours ago, Jayextee said:

DOOM looks so much better in its original 320x200 resolution it's not even funny.

Same with the quake.

4 hours ago, Majin said:

i'm interested in an elaboration on what exactly your perspective is. my perspective is they tend to be blindly praised more than any other submission, people like to make people feel appreciated for their work so there is almost always going to be an inherent praise regardless of the quality of the work, which i think is a good & healthy thing over all. megawads are flashy & huge, as a result people feel more obligation to make the author feel appreciated, which teeters on the brink of comicality when it receives 30 updoots & a dozen 5 star ratings in an hour before many have touched it--let alone played the entire thing. 

Not speaking for Nefelibeta, nor would I say they're "overrated" per se, but there's definitely a thing in the Doom community where people get hung up on the idea of producing a full megawad regardless of whether they can actually meet that goal. Probably stems from the history of things like The Big Megawads That Everyone Knows, and a desire to do a full-game replacement. I personally suffer a lot from "megawad fatigue", and a lot of my favorite stuff nowadays is episode-ish length, or even 1-3 maps in length. Megawads that do shorter episodes (Scythe 2, Judgment) or wads that have very distinct visual variety within their episodes (ie: Sunlust's first episode swaps visual styles roughly every 3 maps) help a lot with giving a clear stopping point for when you want to take break but not feel like you're still "in the middle of something".

Right. People making an unnecessarily big deal about megawads having 32 maps has been a thing for a long time. Last year I saw someone asking if a 20-map 2016 community project, of all things, would be expanded to be a full megawad, which was ???

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 32-map megawad format, but the 15-23 and 23-31 ranges are good too and still megawads.