Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Strife Commando

Unpopular Doom Opinions

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Supershotgun is a very deadly way to deal with an arc vile in an open area. You shouldn't use an smaller number weapon than 5.

If you're in an open area without any cover, then Super shotgun, chaingun, and plasma are your best bets for getting the arch-vile into a pain state and preventing attack.

It's not a great chance, but for when you've got no other choice.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

If you're in an open area without any cover, then Super shotgun, chaingun, and plasma are your best bets for getting the arch-vile into a pain state and preventing attack.

It's not a great chance, but for when you've got no other choice.

 

Supershotgun is way too slow to kill an arc vile, though. It's gonna flame attack me till I die before I can kill it.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

 

I disagree only slightly. E1 and E4 are great, but I'm very much on the same page with you regarding E2, which is a bit meh and E3 just plain sucks.

This.

I'm fine with E1 & most of E4, but the rest (E2/E3) is just mashed together in my memory and I can't really recall which levels are where, other than the finals.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Also is there any Nightmare play without vide glide or whatever it is called for E2M6 on youtube? I strongly believe it damages the game so I am not into it.  Without vide glide, by which I mean playing normal way. Anyone on youtube without vide glide? It feels like writting IDCLIP to me. It damages the game.

There are plenty of demos without using void glide out there, and check it out by yourself. I doubt you can reproduce it since it's not easy. Since you said you feel Plutonia is hard, I can only say good luck. Also, you don't accept void glide, why would you accept any other type of non intended behaviors, like strafe running?

 

Also also, you still like to insert these things into other random threads. I really think that people took their effort writing things to you doesn't really have any outcome. Hey, I'm just practicing my English, so don't mind me. I don't care writing these to somebody who doesn't even want to read :P

 

BTW, @seedI like episode 3, so can we be buddies? :P

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

BTW, @seedI like episode 3, so can we be buddies? :P

 

I... have been betrayed?!

 

Weren't we already :p.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Also is there any Nightmare play without vide glide or whatever it is called for E2M6 on youtube? I strongly believe it damages the game so I am not into it.  Without vide glide, by which I mean playing normal way. Anyone on youtube without vide glide? It feels like writting IDCLIP to me. It damages the game.

 

 

Searching "e2m6 nightmare" on YouTube immediately brought me to this:

 

 

No void glide, all secrets, and it's even played keyboard-only.

Share this post


Link to post

The chaingun deserved to have a sound of its own, as well as use its own ammo and projectile. It should've been more powerful than the pistol by even just a little in DM.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Doom's E2 is harder than both E1 and E3 on Nightmare.

 

E3 is the easiest. 

E2 is the hardest.

 

E1 is between them.

 

Also is there any Nightmare play without vide glide or whatever it is called for E2M6 on youtube? I strongly believe it damages the game so I am not into it.  Without vide glide, by which I mean playing normal way. Anyone on youtube without vide glide? It feels like writting IDCLIP to me. It damages the game.

 

 

Who summoned him? Which one of you said his name 3 times in the mirror?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Short, simple, linear, and difficult slaughter maps are usually boring.

 

I prefer lengthier, non-linear, easier maps with an element of puzzle progression.

 

I think I'm in the minority about this.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Doom's E2 is harder than both E1 and E3 on Nightmare.

 

E3 is the easiest. 

E2 is the hardest.

Now, THIS is really an unpopular opinion. I think the general consent on E2 is that it is the easiest episode on NM by far. Would you be willing/able to explain your reasons for this? I'm genuinely interested.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, SchwTrdLeenW said:

Now, THIS is really an unpopular opinion. I think the general consent on E2 is that it is the easiest episode on NM by far. Would you be willing/able to explain your reasons for this? I'm genuinely interested.

 

I think you mistaken E2 with E3.

 

E3 is the easiest one.

 

 

As for Episode 2, have you ever played E2M6 on Nightmare? That's the hardest map in Doom on Nightmare. Once you go into dark maze, there is no getting out of it alive.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

It feels like writting IDCLIP to me. It damages the game.

 

Picking up ammo feels like IDFA to me. It damages the game.

also picking up Invulnerability feels like using IDDQD to me. It damages the game.

 

Strafe running is not intended. It damages the game.

 

But to stay in topic

I like it when every now and then Mappers throw in a curveball, Like Making me run on damaging floors or platforming puzzles.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Picking up ammo feels like IDFA to me . It damages the game.

also picking up Invulnerability feels like using IDDQD to me. It damages the game.

 

Strafe running is not intended .It damages the game.

 

Going through wall is different.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

 

Going through wall is stupid.

 

 

well there's a hot take. but can you do it in Nightmare??

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, SchwTrdLeenW said:

Now, THIS is really an unpopular opinion. I think the general consent on E2 is that it is the easiest episode on NM by far. Would you be willing/able to explain your reasons for this? I'm genuinely interested.

 

I don't play a lot of Nightmare myself, but I was under the impression that E1 is the hardest (other than E4) and E3 is the easiest. At least, that's what this guy says:

 

 

19 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

As for Episode 2, have you ever played E2M6 on Nightmare? That's the hardest map in Doom on Nightmare. Once you go into dark maze, there is no getting out of it alive.

 

I've hardly tried any of E2 on Nightmare to be honest, but I feel less afraid of E2M6 than something like E1M3 or E1M5. Hitscan is cruel on Nightmare. Maybe I'll try E2M6 tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

 

I don't play a lot of Nightmare myself, but I was under the impression that E1 is the hardest (other than E4) and E3 is the easiest. At least, that's what this guy says:

 

 

 

I've hardly tried any of E2 on Nightmare to be honest, but I feel less afraid of E2M6 than something like E1M3 or E1M5. Hitscan is cruel on Nightmare. Maybe I'll try E2M6 tomorrow.

 

Let me know your opinion after you try.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

 

Supershotgun is way too slow to kill an arc vile, though. It's gonna flame attack me till I die before I can kill it.

SSG has an approximately 50% chance to stun the archvile though. (It deals 20 simutanous bullets per shot, Archvile has a 3.13% pain chance. Do the math :P)

Share this post


Link to post

I certainly hope Nightmare won't completely hijack this thread this time around...

 

1 hour ago, AverageDoomguy said:

Okay if it counts, I enjoy playing 1994 wads after midnight.

 

This reminds me of a song :p .

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

As for Episode 2, have you ever played E2M6 on Nightmare? That's the hardest map in Doom on Nightmare. Once you go into dark maze, there is no getting out of it alive. 

I think it's decently doable if you have a consistent route planned out. The hardest part was indeed getting out of the dark maze without being blocked by walls and zombiemen, but i still had a way better time than in E1 or MAP1-10 in Doom 2. Funny how wildly our experiences differ.

Share this post


Link to post

Hell Revealed is a little bit overrated. It has too many large rooms with lack of objects. It doesn't deserve the attention it got. But i think this happened because the wad was uploaded long time ago and people just had less standard back then.

 

Ok that's it. Don't attack me please

Share this post


Link to post

I like all of Doom 1. And Doom 2. Not every map is great but they are all good enough for me to not skip any when I revisit the IWADS.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 3 is a ridiculously terrible game in every facet. The only things it ever had going for it were impressive graphics and sound design, and that doesn't really ring true so many years later. 

 

People who say, "It's a good game, just not a good Doom game" are wrong. It's not a good game. It's a corridor jump scare simulator with a stupid story, terrible gunplay, a stupid flashlight mechanic, etc.

Share this post


Link to post

doom 64 isnt a good sequel to doom 2 (its a really good doom game but its more of a spin off than a sequel. although ofc narratively it is a sequel). abstract doom is good doom. episode 3 is the best doom episode. doom 2's city levels are the best doom 2 levels. the chasm is great, also unholy cathedral. The worst doom levels are the ones that are brown. every single brown one. Except for the chasm. doom 3 is ironically a good doom sequel despite narratively being a spin off....so my doom 64 opinion is like swapped lol. both doom movies are enjoyable in their own ways but annihilation was a lot better than og doom. the doom novels are really a fun time, including the third and fourth ones, even tho they retcon away the demons in a lame way. Doom eternal's bonker story direction is really cool and im in love with it despite being absolutely absurd. vanilla doom is unplayable without editing the control scheme (im referring to the mouse spring and the super low turn sensitivity). Doom 3 BFG Edition isnt that bad (although yes its definitely a little disrespectful to every previous doom game).

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SchwTrdLeenW said:

I think it's decently doable if you have a consistent route planned out. The hardest part was indeed getting out of the dark maze without being blocked by walls and zombiemen, but i still had a way better time than in E1 or MAP1-10 in Doom 2. Funny how wildly our experiences differ.

 

Last time I played, I was blocked by the baron of hell when going out of the dark maze. No more moving.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×