Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Strife Commando

Unpopular Doom Opinions

• Doom 64 should've had its own soundtrack rather than recycling Aubrey Hodge's PSX soundtrack.
  • Heretic monsters and especially its bosses are more interesting and superior to Doom gameplay-wise, design-wise its the other way around.

3 hours ago, Megalyth said:

What if I want to hide a secret in said pit? 

May be allowed if the secret contains an archvile. 

On 6/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, Nefelibeta said:

I genuinely despise mapping rules and “Things in maps that annoy you” type of threads. Jesus Christ, there are countless maps that have inescapable pits, cryptic progressions, too many arch-viles and cyberdemons, 200 revenants in a tight arena, ledge walking and stuff, yet there are still fans of them. Are those people all retarded? Well absolutely no. Found it a bit weird if you can just ignore the map sets that you don’t like and stop complaining about them instead of ranting like a bitch. Nobody make maps just for you, dumb dumb.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, baja blast rd. said:

I think too many players end up seeing design choices as "getting in the way of their fun" when those aspects might be positive elements of other people's fun. And the possible preference and design space is so big that it's impossible to please everyone at once, so you're going to have clashes like that all the time. People just have to understand how big Doom's design space is. A lot of critical discussion these days is self-centered and uncreative in its self-centeredness.

Respectfully, anyone who doesn't make Doom maps catered to my exact specific tastes is a smelly asshole who should be launched into the sun, PRONTO.

(Seriously though, telling newbie mappers to avoid cramming 999 Barons into a 64-wide hallway is nothing but good/friendly advice, and I won't stop doing it. They're free to ignore it, and I guess others are free to see me as shoving my elitist, wrote, played-out Doom mapping garbage sensibilities down their newbie throats, but whatchagonnado.)

On 6/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, baja blast rd. said:

It's sort of as if TV had no genres or sense of it whatsoever because the language and framework didn't exist, and you had people who were sports diehards complaining about how 95% of shows lack proper organized athletic physical activity. Which obviously sounds ridiculous, but a lot of Doom criticism reads as more or less like that to me. There's a lot of conflation of approach and quality, but not in a neat and tidy way where people reliably distinguish "this isn't my sort of thing" from "this isn't very good" (unless it's something super obvious, like, idk slaughter).  

And that's just...one example.

Ok, joking aside - LMFAO. This is so true. There's some critical feedback out there that strikes me as absurd and "missing the point", almost like someone sitting down to watch Cartoon Network with the expectation of seeing violent dramas and thrillers like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. It's just like.. Why are you downloading an oldschool-style, straight-outta-95 map, with screenshots and a description that makes it clear as day what the wad will be like, but complaining about it anyway even though you KNEW you wanted a highly-detailed UDMF map designed for GZDoom? It just never made sense to me.

I don't think it's overly common or an "epidemic" by any means, but I see it enough to think it warrants mention. At the same time though I don't like to complain about it too much (other than here) because I don't want someone to shy away from criticizing gameplay that doesn't click with them. If they "see potential" but have some ideas they want to share about how they think it could be better, I want to hear those ideas, even if I don't agree with them or think they'd be happier playing another wad. It can still be helpful to authors, and I wouldn't want to unintentionally discourage anything that's even "potentially" helpful for other Doom creators.

On 6/21/2022 at 1:21 AM, Average said:

I think I'll probably be ostracised from the village for this opinion but I don't think many music tracks made for maps actually suit the gameplay or the Doom 'world'.  That's not to say that I don't enjoy a lot of the MIDI's made as music in their own right but I just don't feel like a lot of the synthy or melodic stuff fits with a gun-wielding protagonist running through worlds overrun by the hordes of hell.

DISCLAIMER:  I mean no offense to any Doom MIDI composer.  Like I said, I like to listen to the music on its own, that's all. :)  

I totally agree, but I don't think this opinion is exactly "uncommon". I think it's more that people are afraid to say "hey buddy, your MIDI belongs in Final Fantasy, the fuck is it doing in my Doom wad" for fear that it will be misunderstood as a critique of the musician themselves. To avoid shitting on someone who made genuinely great art, I think most people just avoid the conversation altogether.

There are subgenres of Doom mapping where rock, metal and "classically ambient Bobby Prince-style pieces" (for lack of a better word) would be equally unfitting, but a 1996 Startan Base™ with a MIDI that sounds like it came from the year 3003 is always kinda odd and jarring.

39 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

cramming 999 Barons into a 64-wide hallway

That's not a newbie mistake, that's 2022 challenge slaughter mapping. Get on with the times, mah boi.