Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Max Cady

Doom 1993 source codes in objective C

Hi Guys,

Is there any editing tools written in objective C for Doom of 1993 that has been shared on the internet?

I'm not talking about the PR boom. It's the actual source codes in objective C.

All I found is that .rar but the dates in the files says it has been modified in 1994, after Doom was released.

Any thoughts?

Thank you guys!

dmutils.zip

the only released bit of Objective-C utilities is the DoomED source, which tbh is probably the most significant body of Objective-C written for Doom. Fuzzy Pumper Palette Shop probably was also Objective-C, but it has never been made public in any form. The command line utilities were all in C since it didn't make that much sense to bring in Objective-C for them.

The dmutils modified dates being in the 1994s looks like it's just due to the way they were archived, since many of them have the same last modified dates. It's also entirely possible they were modified post-1993 because they still were working on Doom 2 and the console ports.

The NeXT port of Doom used some Objective-C code, but the NeXT code was never released, and the majority of the game was still in C for portability reasons.

edit: I forgot, the publicly released DoomBSP source is also Objective-C, since it was ran on the NeXT machines.

Edited by SaladBadger

On 6/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, SaladBadger said:

The dmutils modified dates being in the 1994s looks like it's just due to the way they were archived, since many of them have the same last modified dates. It's also entirely possible they were modified post-1993 because they still were working on Doom 2 and the console ports.

John Romero just told me that it is the original codes. So I guess you're right. thx. :-)

On 6/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, SaladBadger said: