• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Best Memories of Classic Doom

My favorite memories of Doom Year one:

- beating E2M8 for the first time

- finding the secret level in E2M5

- playing the first user-made level and realizing that there's a lot more to see than just the IWAD levels.

That time when my brother told me that Doom had ants in it in the later levels, after I started playing it, and got a bit ways into it....scared me quite a bit as it's a phobia of mine but as I played on looking out for the things, they never showed up......git.

I was just browsing through the forums and I started looking into some videos of Thy Flesh Consumed. Like a lighting bolt cruising throught the sky (unnecessary rhetoric over there) I felt a small speck of nostalgia.

It gave me the idea to make this post, to see what's some of the fondest, coolest or just best memories you guys have about the Doom series, whatever its Doom I, II, 3 or even the modern ones.

For me, it's gotta be the first time I ever played E4. The first map was the first time I ever felt like this was truly Doom. The whole aesthetic, the ambience, the absurd difficulty and everything packed in a small map, one of the most iconic maps ever. I fell in love with TFC, and to this day I have great memories of playing that awesome wad.

I might try to finish in using BD in Nightmare or maybe something else, just for good ol times sake.

I have some other great memories playing Doom, like the first time I installed Doom 3. The box was just so fucking diabolic and creepy, pure terror to come, and my blood was burning for some action, and when I finally got to played it, I never finished because I was so scare lol, years later I finally finished the game.

What's your most treasured Doom memory ?

tumblr_o23pppRYEf1ty70x1o1_1280.gifv

Not necessarily my best memory but something I never forget whilst playing Doom on PlayStation in 1996.

So as you can imagine it gets cold in Scotland during the winter months and this was in January of 1996. I was in my friend's house, well his bedroom, it was his parent's home, and myself and he and his older brother were playing Doom on their PlayStation. It was about 6pm, not late but it was pitch black outside due to the time of year, and I remember feeling very cozy and relaxed in their house with gas central heating. We had been smoking weed and we turned the room light out so we were totally tuned into the game. My friend's older brother was playing (honesty can't remember which level) and my friend and I were both watching his brother play when my friend passed me their rolling tray and he said to me to roll a joint, but he didn't say it normally, he whispered it to me, and I asked him why did you just whisper that? And he's looking at me like I have no idea, which ended up with the three of us rolling around laughing at the absurdity of how because we were playing Doom with the light out he felt like he had to whisper.

You really had to have been there to understand the hilarity and absurdity of that situation.

Edited by Boaby Kenobi

5 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Not necessarily my best memory but something I never forget whilst playing Doom on PlayStation in 1996.

So as you can imagine it gets cold in Scotland during the winter months and this was in January of 1996. I was in my friend's house, well his bedroom, it was his parent's home, and myself and he and his older brother were playing Doom on their PlayStation. At was about 6pm, not late but it was pitch black outside due to the time of year, and I remember feeling very cozy and relaxed in their house with gas central heating. We had been smoking weed and we turned the room light out so we were totally tuned into the game. My friend's older brother was playing (honesty can't remember which level) and my friend and I were both watching his brother play when my friend passed me their rolling tray and he said to me to roll a joint, but he didn't say it normally, he whispered it to me, and I asked him why did you just whisper that? And he's looking at me like I have no idea, which ended up with the three of us rolling around laughing at the absurdity of how because we were playing Doom with the light out he felt like he had to whisper.

You really had to have been there to understand the hilarity and absurdity of that situation.

Haha, I loled at the end, things like that happened to me when I was younger; when I watched my uncle play videogames, I used to speak quietly like he was doing some religious level shit and I should show respect.

The first time i noclip and found whats inside the Icon of Sin.

Holy Cow!!!

That truly is a surprise!!!

I never recovered form that experience.
Now i like heads on stick soo much that i go regularly to a psychologist to cure me from this falic obsession.

837866.jpg

Edited by P41R47

24 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

The first time i noclip and found whats inside the Icon of Sin.

Holy Cow!!!

That truly is a surprise!!!

I never recovered form that experience.
Now i like heads on stick soo much that i go regularly to a psychologist to cure me from this falic obsession.

837866.jpg

Now that you mention it, Noclip used to be one of my favorite cheats in older videogames. I liked the idea to explore the whole map from head to toes.

Lol, Romero's head was indeed a big surprise.

PS: What a cool sculpture.

I have a lot of individual moments I cherish in regards to this game, so I'll try to keep it brief.

One very special to me is the night my friend and I got his computer to cooperate and play Doom II, around late 1999. This was the first time I'd gotten a chance to see Doom II again in a few years since I didn't have a hard copy of the game, only Ultimate. He didn't have speakers at that time, so we played with PC speaker, and hearing PC speaker in Doom just always takes me back to those fonder times. Later he got speakers and I was blown away to hear Doom II music again, this time much more intently than before.

I also remember playing a bunch of ZDoom stuff in the summer of 2004. Very mod-explorative time for me, and I have a lot of happy memories of that time (despite troubles on the forums :V)

when I was 10 and my uncle Jack gave me his Doom floppy disks(box was disintegrated by a cup of coffee before I was born)

13 minutes ago, Bashe said:

I have a lot of individual moments I cherish in regards to this game, so I'll try to keep it brief.

One very special to me is the night my friend and I got his computer to cooperate and play Doom II, around late 1999. This was the first time I'd gotten a chance to see Doom II again in a few years since I didn't have a hard copy of the game, only Ultimate. He didn't have speakers at that time, so we played with PC speaker, and hearing PC speaker in Doom just always takes me back to those fonder times. Later he got speakers and I was blown away to hear Doom II music again, this time much more intently than before.

I also remember playing a bunch of ZDoom stuff in the summer of 2004. Very mod-explorative time for me, and I have a lot of happy memories of that time (despite troubles on the forums :V)

Doom with friends is the best thing, pity I havent got the chance lol

I first played Doom on the SNES, basically when it came out. Going back to it now, the port is ass, but young me had never played anything like it before and it blew my mind. I didn't know better, so I thought the bad controls made fights tense; movement and dodging was difficult and I thought that was just a fact of the game. And the low resolution made distant enemies into a scary unknown. Couple that with the music in e3m4 and it was a terrifying game. There's no feeling quite like seeing a single pixel flickering in the distance and fearing whether it's a harmless decoration or a baron about to wreck my shit.

Funny enough, my most vivid memories of playing Doom was the mod Simpsons Doom. This was actually the way I remember playing Doom the most more than vanilla when I was a kid. I remember it was a limited version and only covered the first episode of Doom 1. What's odd though is since trying to find it again, it looks wildly different to how I remember from looking up info about it. This would've been somewhere around '96 to 2000 when I played it the most.

Here's the one I'm finding lots of videos on and IcarusLives even has a video on it:

And here's the one I remember playing:

so I dunno if it was a really early version of the mod and the art/design was drastically changed since the time I played it or there's simply been more than one Simpsons-flavoured gameplay mod that's been made back in the day. All I know is, the one noted on the Doom Wiki and has plenty of footage of it on YouTube isn't the one I remember playing. Perhaps someone else here who's much more familiar with the history of this mod(s) can explain.

Edited by Biodegradable : Managed to find footage of the one I played

For me, it's my first time playing Friday Night Fragfest on Skulltag. Every Friday they would host a 32-player server with a brand new WAD that came out, and in this case I remember it being STDOM, which was a Domination gamemode coded entirely in ACS.

30 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Funny enough, my most vivid memories of playing Doom was the mod Simpsons Doom. This was actually the way I remember playing Doom the most more than vanilla when I was a kid. I remember it was a limited version and only covered the first episode of Doom 1. What's odd though is since trying to find it again, it looks wildly different to how I remember from looking up info about it. This would've been somewhere around '96 to 2000 when I played it the most.

Here's the one I'm finding lots of videos on and IcarusLives even has a video on it:

And here's the one I remember playing:

so I dunno if it was a really early version of the mod and the art/design was drastically changed since the time I played it or there's simply been more than one Simpsons-flavoured gameplay mod that's been made back in the day. All I know is, the one noted on the Doom Wiki and has plenty of footage of it on YouTube isn't the one I remember playing. Perhaps someone else here who's much more familiar with the history of this mod(s) can explain.

Haha, playing a modded cartony version of Doom instead of vanilla sounds like something I would have done too if I had played this game earlier.

Also, damn Icarus has played everything Doom related, such a cool guy.

SIMPSONS DOOM!

I remember playing the 90s version of that in one my early mod excursions. I thought the amount of blood in the character deaths was absolutely outrageous. Years later, the Zdoom version proved to be better and I got a fair bit of enjoyment out of that.

Doom Wad Station was a great place to find stuff back then. That's how I got exposed to Doom 2 X-Treme, which is one of my favorites historically (though not much for its gameplay...)

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

My gut instinct is to talk about people I know/knew through the community. Met many great people, a handful of which I consider personal friends to this day.

As far as specific memories though..

When I was just a toddler, I remember my uncle, dad and brother playing Wolf3D, all huddled around an ancient laptop. My dad laughed at the "Can I play daddy?" difficulty, and that memory is crystal clear even though I was so young at the time.

In 1996 or so, my brother saw how I just kept playing the shareware E1 over and over, so he did what any great older brother would do: he somehow found an illegal bootleg of Doom2, the super common 1.666 bootleg (that even DeHackEd acknowledges is fake when you try to use it). Neither of us knew what it meant to be "pirated" back then. I was so grateful to him for doing that, because it pretty much "cemented" that I would be a hardcore Doom head for all time..

In 1997 my dad helped me download my first ever custom wad: DOOMED 2 DIE, aka dmd2die.wad. The wad would have been brand spankin' new at the time, which is hilarious because it's so old and dated - Any Doomer who became a fan post-2000 would look at it and wonder how it can even be nostalgic, but damn, it is.

Later that same year, my dad had obviously taken note of me regularly getting on our shitty dialup net (excellent at the time, that 56k goodness) and scouring the net for Doom wads. He ended up buying me the big box version of The Ultimate Doom, which came with Doom95 - and, after playing the DOS EXEs all that time, playing in 640x480 with all 4 episodes unlocked made it feel like a "True sequel".

For the first week I was way too obsessed, and (without my parents knowing ofc) I actually stayed up past midnight working my way to the end of the game, cheats on of course, but then when I saw the Sweet Little Dead Bunny ending, I absolutely shit my pants with fear (metaphorically speaking) since I was so obsessed with cute, small animals, instantly turned off the PC and went running to my brother, who was comforting me but also extremely amused that something in "Plain Ol' Doom" scared me so much.

Finally, after a few years of visiting every Doom site I could find and signing all guestbooks I could get to, downloading weird little tools to tinker with Doom and a bunch of wads, in 2001 I finally found Doom Connector.

There I met Hellbent, who showed me ZDoom, and Doom Rampage (who went on to make the infamous DRE) talked with me and sent me WadAuthor, which was my first real, easy-to-use mapping tool. I started slapping down maps, learning more and more by trial end error - I don't think I ever once looked up any kind of tutorial or anything, if one even existed back then - and, as they say, the rest is history.

I mean, there's loads more great memories since then.. The early Skulltag and ZDaemon eras, the final chapter of CSDoom's life... Being blown away by 3D floors in Doom Legacy back in 2003.. but I'll literally be here all day if I mention every super enjoyable memory up until this very day.

This is a funny one. There are at least 3 somewhat distinct Simpsons Doom mods.. Simpsons Doom from late 1994, Simpsons Doom 2 from early 1995, and Ultimate Simpsons Doom from 1998, which was basically a "remaster" by Myk, although I have to say I think Simpsons Doom 2 hits the sweet spot, having much more custom content than the first, but lacking the... psychedelic textures from the Ultimate version. (Christ, why do I know this much about obscure old Doom mods)

Leave it to Doomkid to make a great comment. I gotta agree with you, this community is filled with great people. I myself havent meet anyone (I'm basically your casual lurker.) but just looking at the history of it and the sheer love and passion that this game pumps every years is outstanding.

Later that same year, my dad had obviously taken note of me regularly getting on our shitty dialup net (excellent at the time, that 56k goodness) and scouring the net for Doom wads. He ended up buying me the big box version of The Ultimate Doom, which came with Doom95 - and, after playing the DOS EXEs all that time, playing in 640x480 with all 4 episodes unlocked made it feel like a "True sequel".

Dad of the year right there.

My best memory is one ongoing memory that spans 20 years or more. lol It's hard to have just one or just a couple I guess, since it all kinda blends in together. So I guess this here is a condensed version of 20 years...

I remember the first time I saw Doom. My bro had bought a Pentium 166 with windows 95 and it came loaded with the Doom shareware. I was still using a Commodore 64 at the time, mostly to play the Gold Box AD&D Games like Pool of Radiance and Secret of the Silver Blades. I didn't know Doom was on his comp, despite having spent time using it, learning to use windows mostly, until I went to see what he was doing one day and he was playing Doom. I was blown away. So when I got to try the game, I ended up staying up until 1am or maybe it was later. I remember that first barrel and trying to move it by punching it. lol. That first door... how do I open this? The first Pinky... ahhh wtf is that. The first teleport.... woaaahhh!

In those early Doom sessions, we used to refer to Imps as Apes until I found the manual file and thoroughly read it a dozen times or so and figured out the various monster names. It wasn't long before my brother brought home The Ultimate Doom and also Doom 2. I found a copy of Final Doom in a Radio Shack. He bought Quake, I bought Strife. I bought Quake mission packs, he bought Quake 2. We shared a lot of games back then. We came up with different sayings... 'Don't Jump Fucked Up' when playing Quake and having to jump across some Lava or pit. One of those old gaming manuals mentioned looking for angled textures hinting at secrets, so we'd say 'Look For The Angled Texture!' as a joke. Those were good times.

I wanted to make maps. I used to get Doom levels off of PC Gamer CDs (also Quake, Duke, etc..) So I drew levels out on graph paper. I bought Doom and Quake shovelware CD's and played the hell out of that stuff. So many crappy levels with a few gems, like Dr Sleep's Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate. Playing those maps really made me want to make my own.

In early 1999 I walked into a Staples and walked out again with a copy of Hank Leukarts Doom Hacker's Guide for $3.99 that I found in a bargain bin and it was the only copy. It wasn't long before I was using DoomCad and started working on some n00bt45t1c maps. By this time my bro had bought a new comp so I had the P166. Not sure when I scratch built my first comp but it was an 800mhz machine with a newfangled Radeon card.... sometime between 2000 and 2001. Anyhow I had no internet until 2000 when some free internet CD appeared in the newspaper. So I got online with that and a dial-up modem. The free internet dealie had a browser with a banner on the top that ran ads. I found out how to block the banner after I got tired of the ads. lol Then I got a service that would alert me when a call came in so I could answer the phone. That free service was really good for a few months, then at peek hours it became a chore to get online with so many people using it. So I ended up getting cable. Weeee.....

Learning to use DoomCad and reading The Doom Hacker's Guide. It was the best of times as far as computers go... at least for me. I had nobody to ask for help and the internet, nobody I knew had it yet. So figuring out how to just make a room and then a door, etc.. it was awesome. Finally I'm making some doom! This blows playing Pool of Radiance out of the water. Words can't describe it. It was a wonderful time.

Back in the DoomCad days and Doom Legacy and like Doomkid mentioned... 3d floors in Legacy! I loved that so much that I figured out how to get DoomCad to use the Legacy linetypes by editing the .ini file.

In 2000 I bought a PC Gamer mag that briefly mentioned Doom 3... except it wasn't 3 at the time and they were just calling it the new doom. So I searched for New Doom and found Newdoom. Joined Newdoom with the name, Doom_Dude not thinking I would be stuck with the nickname for 20 years or more. heh. Met a lot of good people on Newdoom and made some good friends that I still talk to. At first there was only 3 of us on Newdoom, Zack, King_Ralph and Myself. Then others trickled in and the community expanded and I was asked if I wanted to moderate and I initially said no, but changed my mind and ended up being a moderator. Then at some point Face_UK was easing out of doing the news and I started doing the news too. Not sure what year that was. I liked it when somebody would send me some news thing and id post it up. Had my own website too on there for my Doom stuff... The Megawad Outpost, which was hacked together using Dreamweaver. Learned a lot from doing all that stuff and it was mostly positive with some weirdness too. Lots of memories, some of which is a blur. I also joined Doomworld in 2000 but I rarely posted here in the early years. Time changed everything.

Tinkering with making DM maps and playing with friends. Messing with setting up a server and just having fun with it. Although I prefer SP, that was some good times.

That day in 2003 when CodeImp revealed Doom Builder. When I read his post and saw the screens and then got to try it out. That was awesome. To use that editor and see it evolve over the years. I think I'm still amazed at how brilliant it is.

So many of the good memories are just playing Doom and editing levels and making textures. Early morning... getting those bacon and eggs or just some toast and settling down with a hot cup of coffee and reading some forum comments, cracking open a Doom editor and cranking some tunes. So many good hours / days spent with Doom.. I wouldn't have it any other way. Doom on. :D

[edit] I knew I was gonna think of other stuff. Working on The Newdoom Community Project and then ending up as team leader. That was something I really enjoyed working on. It wasn't perfect but that's certainly a good memory.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Meeting the Cacodemons in E3M1 for the first time and shooting those those blinking heads with the pistol to a slow and agonizing death. That map may have looked very average but it had perfect ammo balance and an excellent remake of a Pantera Mouth of War playing along in the background.

And the SNES version of the E3M1 song just nails it!

Edited by pcorf

44 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

My best memory is one ongoing memory that spans 20 years or more. lol It's hard to have just one or just a couple I guess, since it all kinda blends in together. So I guess this here is a condensed version of 20 years...

I remember the first time I saw Doom. My bro had bought a Pentium 166 with windows 95 and it came loaded with the Doom shareware. I was still using a Commodore 64 at the time, mostly to play the Gold Box AD&D Games like Pool of Radiance and Secret of the Silver Blades. I didn't know Doom was on his comp, despite having spent time using it, learning to use windows mostly, until I went to see what he was doing one day and he was playing Doom. I was blown away. So when I got to try the game, I ended up staying up until 1am or maybe it was later. I remember that first barrel and trying to move it by punching it. lol. That first door... how do I open this? The first Pinky... ahhh wtf is that. The first teleport.... woaaahhh!

In those early Doom sessions, we used to refer to Imps as Apes until I found the manual file and thoroughly read it a dozen times or so and figured out the various monster names. It wasn't long before my brother brought home The Ultimate Doom and also Doom 2. I found a copy of Final Doom in a Radio Shack. He bought Quake, I bought Strife. I bought Quake mission packs, he bought Quake 2. We shared a lot of games back then. We came up with different sayings... 'Don't Jump Fucked Up' when playing Quake and having to jump across some Lava or pit. One of those old gaming manuals mentioned looking for angled textures hinting at secrets, so we'd say 'Look For The Angled Texture!' as a joke. Those were good times.

I wanted to make maps. I used to get Doom levels off of PC Gamer CDs (also Quake, Duke, etc..) So I drew levels out on graph paper. I bought Doom and Quake shovelware CD's and played the hell out of that stuff. So many crappy levels with a few gems, like Dr Sleep's Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate. Playing those maps really made me want to make my own.

In early 1999 I walked into a Staples and walked out again with a copy of Hank Leukarts Doom Hacker's Guide for $3.99 that I found in a bargain bin and it was the only copy. It wasn't long before I was using DoomCad and started working on some n00bt45t1c maps. By this time my bro had bought a new comp so I had the P166. Not sure when I scratch built my first comp but it was an 800mhz machine with a newfangled Radeon card.... sometime between 2000 and 2001. Anyhow I had no internet until 2000 when some free internet CD appeared in the newspaper. So I got online with that and a dial-up modem. The free internet dealie had a browser with a banner on the top that ran ads. I found out how to block the banner after I got tired of the ads. lol Then I got a service that would alert me when a call came in so I could answer the phone. That free service was really good for a few months, then at peek hours it became a chore to get online with so many people using it. So I ended up getting cable. Weeee.....

Learning to use DoomCad and reading The Doom Hacker's Guide. It was the best of times as far as computers go... at least for me. I had nobody to ask for help and the internet, nobody I knew had it yet. So figuring out how to just make a room and then a door, etc.. it was awesome. Finally I'm making some doom! This blows playing Pool of Radiance out of the water. Words can't describe it. It was a wonderful time.

Back in the DoomCad days and Doom Legacy and like Doomkid mentioned... 3d floors in Legacy! I loved that so much that I figured out how to get DoomCad to use the Legacy linetypes by editing the .ini file.

In 2000 I bought a PC Gamer mag that briefly mentioned Doom 3... except it wasn't 3 at the time and they were just calling it the new doom. So I searched for New Doom and found Newdoom. Joined Newdoom with the name, Doom_Dude not thinking I would be stuck with the nickname for 20 years or more. heh. Met a lot of good people on Newdoom and made some good friends that I still talk to. At first there was only 3 of us on Newdoom, Zack, King_Ralph and Myself. Then others trickled in and the community expanded and I was asked if I wanted to moderate and I initially said no, but changed my mind and ended up being a moderator. Then at some point Face_UK was easing out of doing the news and I started doing the news too. Not sure what year that was. I liked it when somebody would send me some news thing and id post it up. Had my own website too on there for my Doom stuff... The Megawad Outpost, which was hacked together using Dreamweaver. Learned a lot from doing all that stuff and it was mostly positive with some weirdness too. Lots of memories, some of which is a blur. I also joined Doomworld in 2000 but I rarely posted here in the early years. Time changed everything.

Tinkering with making DM maps and playing with friends. Messing with setting up a server and just having fun with it. Although I prefer SP, that was some good times.

That day in 2003 when CodeImp revealed Doom Builder. When I read his post and saw the screens and then got to try it out. That was awesome. To use that editor and see it evolve over the years. I think I'm still amazed at how brilliant it is.

So many of the good memories are just playing Doom and editing levels and making textures. Early morning... getting those bacon and eggs or just some toast and settling down with a hot cup of coffee and reading some forum comments, cracking open a Doom editor and cranking some tunes. So many good hours / days spent with Doom. I wouldn't have it any other way. Doom on. :D

[edit] I knew I was gonna think of other stuff. Working on The Newdoom Community Project and then ending up as team leader. That was something I really enjoyed working on. It wasn't perfect but that's certainly a good memory.

Damn, that's a whole amazing trip, from the starting point till this day, sounds like you are one OG in this community! Mad respect. Thank you for sharing this awesome memories, reading them feels like if I was there.

In 2000 I bought a PC Gamer mag that briefly mentioned Doom 3.

Just hearing the word PC mag makes me teary. I think one of the most iconis magazines is that one that mentioned Unreal with ''Yes, this is actual screenshot'' lol.

43 minutes ago, pcorf said:

Meeting the Cacodemons in E3M1 for the first time and shooting those those blinking heads with the pistol to a slow and agonizing death. That map may have looked very average but it had perfect ammo balance and an excellent remake of a Pantera Mouth of War playing along in the background.

I remember when I first heard that song I seriously thought the band ripped off the Doom song!!

One memory that always hangs around in my head was one time around 2000-ish when I was really stoned I mean drunk, playing Tricks and Traps with the lights off and I was in it, man, I was one with it, and I got to that white room where you grab the red key and get swarmed by imps and they nailed me and I had to catch my breath for a bit.  

I also gotta say, seeing Doom 3 for the first time was extremely awesome.  I flinched several times simply watching my friend play it

19 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

I remember when I first heard that song I seriously thought the band ripped off the Doom song!!

One memory that always hangs around in my head was one time around 2000-ish when I was really stoned I mean drunk, playing Tricks and Traps with the lights off and I was in it, man, I was one with it, and I got to that white room where you grab the red key and get swarmed by imps and they nailed me and I had to catch my breath for a bit.  

I also gotta say, seeing Doom 3 for the first time was extremely awesome.  I flinched several times simply watching my friend play it

Back when you had to using the damn flaslight in those pitch black areas. Extremely awesome indeend, and pretty damn spooky.

In my childhood I played DooM so much and I don't remember what was in memory with game. 

For example, level 19 from TNT where I seen a truck with red key and level 20 from same where I heard a Spider's scream but I don't seen him. 

Level 11 from Plutonia where were more than one Arch Villes and in the end of this level were two teleports which one of the was a trap.

I can think of sooooo many I can't even begin.....

I'll start with a funny one, I was probably about 10-11 when this happened.

I didn't own a computer during this time but my older sister who was staying at the house did, as she was moving in for college and such.  Due to our schedules, I managed to get home about an hour earlier than she did from school and during this small window of time I would use her computer without her noticing...*usually.*

So one day I had discovered my dad's old copy of doom and installed it on her computer.  Back then some games still scared me and Doom was definitely one of them, so to counteract that fear I decided it would be a good idea to use cheatcodes!

On my journey of discovering said cheat codes, I fired up Yahoo search (when that was a thing) and started looking up "Doom 95 cheatcodes" with no luck until I hit about page 4 or so.  It was then I eventually stumbled onto a rather bland site in a basic dark green (may have been dark blue) HTML background with the Doom 95 startup logo printed on the page center. Very barebones and in retrospect a *bit* sketchy looking, but it had a basic table of codes printed out on the screen that worked as they intended.

So here's where the fun began....

After being on this website for about 5-10 seconds, a pop up came up of a rather sultry looking brunette woman...who was also topless.  I'm not sure what the ad was even for, but as a 10 year old I couldn't care less when those giant headlights were starring at me from cyberspace.  I had never seen *anything* like that on the net prior and didn't even know you could look up stuff like that.  Call me naive, but as a kid I guess those thoughts just didn't occur until I hit puberty, but MY GOD was it like discovering Santa was actually real back then.

Due to the slow speed of our internet, my sister was already almost home and I would rush to turn everything off before I was caught on her computer.  Last thing I would have wanted was for her to tell my parents of the magical b00bs I had discovered on the internet.  So as you may have imagined after this event, everytime I got home from school I would rush to her room, fire up her PC, and go looking up that site for my daily titilage.  I never dared looked up the word "boobs" incase she went through the history, so I thought I was safe with good ol' "Doom 95 cheat codes" over and over instead.

This happened for a few weeks until my sister's computer was hit with a particularly nasty virus that would show hardcore porn on startup.  I never knew if I was responsible for this as I had never seen this actually occur (thankfully), but my father had to wipe the computer's harddrive clean from the damage it caused.  Sadly, that was the end of my free titilage for some time.

If anybody remembers this site by any chance, let me know the name!

TL;DR I discovered the internet had boobs from looking up Doom 95 cheat codes.

Edited by STILES

1. Compuserves  "GO ACTION" (does anybody remember that?)
2. Deathmathing in the office from 9:00 to 17:00 while having customers on the phone.
One Day I felt off my chair because I wanted to dodge a rocket. While laying on the floor, I still
had a customer on the phone. I did not hurt myself, so no big problem, BUT: I could not
understand him any longer, because my colleagues were laughing too loud.
We all had tears in our eyes...:-)

10 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Joined Newdoom with the name, Doom_Dude not thinking I would be stuck with the nickname for 20 years or more. heh.

Hey man, just be glad you picked dude and not kid!! :P

That day in 2003 when CodeImp revealed Doom Builder.

Doom Builder absolutely changed everything. There were detailed maps before then, but it’s thanks to DB’s extreme elegance and ease of use - not to mention 3D mode - made detailed maps the new standard. It’s funny, going back, some people would probably consider DB1 really clunky. I didn’t stop using it til 2017!

I started playing Doom with the PSX version, so when I finally played it on PC, I kept asking myself "Why's everything so different here?".

9 hours ago, Endless said:

Damn, that's a whole amazing trip, from the starting point till this day, sounds like you are one OG in this community! Mad respect. Thank you for sharing this awesome memories, reading them feels like if I was there.

Just hearing the word PC mag makes me teary. I think one of the most iconis magazines is that one that mentioned Unreal with ''Yes, this is actual screenshot'' lol.

Haha, no problem and thank you. I remember that PC Gamer quote. I played Unreal on a system that could barely run it. Had all the graphics turned off... it looked like shit but it was fun.

14 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Hey man, just be glad you picked dude and not kid!! :P

Doom Builder absolutely changed everything. There were detailed maps before then, but it’s thanks to DB’s extreme elegance and ease of use - not to mention 3D mode - made detailed maps the new standard. It’s funny, going back, some people would probably consider DB1 really clunky. I didn’t stop using it til 2017!

Oh fuck, we couldn't have a Doomkid and a Doom_kid. ;)

Yes Doom Builder was a game changer for sure. I didn't miss placing vertices before drawing lines not to mention all the other cool features.

@DoomGater

Eh, can't add quote to edited post... anyhow.

One Day I felt off my chair because I wanted to dodge a rocket. While laying on the floor, I still
had a customer on the phone. I did not hurt myself, so no big problem, BUT: I could not
understand him any longer, because my colleagues were laughing too loud.
We all had tears in our eyes...:-)

ROFL! That's pretty damned funny.

I've looked a this thread a few times today, racking my brains for anything that particularly stood out over the last 26 years or so of Doom, Doom II and all the rest of it. @Doomkid and @Doom_Dude have finally nudged me into a definitive one!

Late 2004 (I believe), having been loosely aware of a modding community for Doom still existing in some form and finally having reasonably free access to the internet and my own computer, I decided to look at see what was new in the world of ZDoom, as I'd had 1.22 for a while and enjoyed one or two WADs that made some use of the features it had. So I find the ZDoom website and there's this giant map being announced on the news front page. ZDoom Community Map Project Take #1! It looks exciting, and promised to be the ultimate showcase of ZDoom, showing off this magical "DECORATE" thing and much more besides.

I frantically download ZDoom 2.0.63a and ZDCMP1, get everything set up, and am blown away. I was used to mouselook and better resolutions, but the smooth frame rates (with interpolated monster movement!), combined with the detailed environments made the game feel like a totally new sensation. In that first room, there's a shadow from a ceiling fan, on-screen messages (which I'd seen in the ZDoom 1.22 demo), working doors with windows in (that I could see through!) and awesome music. The messages on the automap filled me with joy, as did the initial 666 monster count. Over an hour later I've beaten it, taking in more and more wonders, and then there's the scripted credits sequence with the fly-through camera and little developer biographies, saying when they started and what editor they used.

I had to see how this was done, so I loaded up DEU and opened zdcmp1.wad (I'm shocked the computer didn't burst into flames or something) and quickly realised that I had the wrong tool for the job. This Doom Builder thing was pretty popular with the mappers who'd made ZDCMP1, so I investigated it. It came with fbase6, a map demonstrating a serious eye for detail and some unusual Boom-based features. After checking out these technological leaps, I rushed to finish Scourge MAP17 (if I hadn't done so already) and immediately embarked on my biggest map ever, finally free of the memory limit that DEU seemed to gleefully impose on me. For a year or so, the maps just kept getting bigger and more complex, slowly moving through Boom features to ZDoom (Doom in Doom) format.

Then I discovered XWE and started working out DECORATE and other advanced scripting features. Those early days of engaging in ZDoom (like... two years or so, for me) were easily the most exciting time for me. I've repeatedly expressed my disappointment at having followed the crowd over to predominantly limit-removing community projects since, although the additional learning experience, challenges and boundary pushing probably have helped make me the mapper I am today. I guess I wanted to be a different mapper!

2 hours ago, Phobus said:

I've looked a this thread a few times today, racking my brains for anything that particularly stood out over the last 26 years or so of Doom, Doom II and all the rest of it. @Doomkid and @Doom_Dude have finally nudged me into a definitive one!

Late 2004 (I believe), having been loosely aware of a modding community for Doom still existing in some form and finally having reasonably free access to the internet and my own computer, I decided to look at see what was new in the world of ZDoom, as I'd had 1.22 for a while and enjoyed one or two WADs that made some use of the features it had. So I find the ZDoom website and there's this giant map being announced on the news front page. ZDoom Community Map Project Take #1! It looks exciting, and promised to be the ultimate showcase of ZDoom, showing off this magical "DECORATE" thing and much more besides.

I frantically download ZDoom 2.0.63a and ZDCMP1, get everything set up, and am blown away. I was used to mouselook and better resolutions, but the smooth frame rates (with interpolated monster movement!), combined with the detailed environments made the game feel like a totally new sensation. In that first room, there's a shadow from a ceiling fan, on-screen messages (which I'd seen in the ZDoom 1.22 demo), working doors with windows in (that I could see through!) and awesome music. The messages on the automap filled me with joy, as did the initial 666 monster count. Over an hour later I've beaten it, taking in more and more wonders, and then there's the scripted credits sequence with the fly-through camera and little developer biographies, saying when they started and what editor they used.

I had to see how this was done, so I loaded up DEU and opened zdcmp1.wad (I'm shocked the computer didn't burst into flames or something) and quickly realised that I had the wrong tool for the job. This Doom Builder thing was pretty popular with the mappers who'd made ZDCMP1, so I investigated it. It came with fbase6, a map demonstrating a serious eye for detail and some unusual Boom-based features. After checking out these technological leaps, I rushed to finish Scourge MAP17 (if I hadn't done so already) and immediately embarked on my biggest map ever, finally free of the memory limit that DEU seemed to gleefully impose on me. For a year or so, the maps just kept getting bigger and more complex, slowly moving through Boom features to ZDoom (Doom in Doom) format.

Then I discovered XWE and started working out DECORATE and other advanced scripting features. Those early days of engaging in ZDoom (like... two years or so, for me) were easily the most exciting time for me. I've repeatedly expressed my disappointment at having followed the crowd over to predominantly limit-removing community projects since, although the additional learning experience, challenges and boundary pushing probably have helped make me the mapper I am today. I guess I wanted to be a different mapper!

So I find the ZDoom website and there's this giant map being announced on the news front page.

That was my same reaction when I found out about Doomworld and Idgames Archive. It blew me away the sheer amout of maps that I could play and the easy accessibility it has (for downloading at least.) And slowly but surely I started finding more mods and maps to play with, I fell in love with Brutal Doom (what a cliche me) and Beautiful Doom, and the simple yet life changing small mods that add such depth to the game. That's how I knew that this game would give me so much fun until the day I die.

I guess I wanted to be a different mapper!

And indeed you are! I'm currently playing the 25years on the DWMegawad club and I'm having a blast! I really dig the style and the MIDI's. Thank you for sharing! I hope one day be able to participe in the mapping community, I just love the idea to create whole levels, I just need some time and learning about Doom Buildir and I'll be there.