Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

How can I visit the distant scenery in the sky?

Doom 2016 is amazing because unlike its predecessors, all the mountains and techbases you see in the distance are real 3D objects. But is there any way to "cheat" to fly towards them? I'd love to go there to see how the main area is visible from there.

I'm not sure if they are true 3D objects, theres always some skybox in, but console commands may help you, tho, be advise, vanilla version does not support console commands, but this may help you :

Like you, I also love watching the distant scenery and the horizon! Gl hf

Do you mean like the Mars Base visible outside of Samuel Hayden's office window? I would imagine that there's just the outside facade, and no internal structure. It's just for appearance's sake. It's like Half-Life 2 and the dynamic 3D skybox that is really just a miniature which is magnified, and it surrounds you in your immediate vicinity to give the impression of a much bigger world, and it works quite well. But, for all of the high-rise blocks of flats you see around you in City 17, there's simply nothing inside to explore.

33 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

It's like Half-Life 2 and the dynamic 3D skybox that is really just a miniature which is magnified, and it surrounds you in your immediate vicinity to give the impression of a much bigger world, and it works quite well. But, for all of the high-rise blocks of flats you see around you in City 17, there's simply nothing inside to explore.

I'm pretty sure Source based games are the only ones utilizing such ancient techniques to create skyboxes, and maybe UT2004. I don't recall any other games having a miniature map with a tiny sun hidden somewhere out of bounds.

20 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

I'm pretty sure Source based games are the only ones utilizing such ancient techniques to create skyboxes, and maybe UT2004. I don't recall any other games having a miniature map with a tiny sun hidden somewhere out of bounds.

What other techniques are there? And what do you mean, "a tiny sun hidden somewhere"?

55 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

What other techniques are there? And what do you mean, "a tiny sun hidden somewhere"?

Source games are the only games where I recall using noclip to get out of bounds to see a miniature version of the level with a skybox cubemap around it that's projected into the proper playing area. I think I saw something similar in Oblivion, but that's a 15 year old memory almost.

15 minutes ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Source games are the only games where I recall using noclip to get out of bounds to see a miniature version of the level with a skybox cubemap around it that's projected into the proper playing area. I think I saw something similar in Oblivion, but that's a 15 year old memory almost.

I don't think I ever tried noclip on HL2 to see how the illusion worked and broke if you exceeded the bounds.

7 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Not sure what other rendering techniques are there, but I think this comparison is probably not valid anymore. The Source 1 version of HL2 (or rather, the Orange Box version) is an VERY old engine by now, relying on technology and tricks that nowadays game engines no longer employ.

9 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

What other techniques are there?

UE and Unity use a giant mesh to surround the level, depending on what you want it can either be a box with six textures, or a tessellated sphere mesh with complex scene material and details thrown in the distance, iirc id tech 5 and upwards use similar method.

Edited by sluggard

More recently in Doom 2016 I've encountered a bug where I'm suddenly flung at crazy speed against a wall.   Once in the opening map, the UAC, it happened straight up.   I just suddenly launched way high in the sky at hyper speed and could look down on the whole map, and then fell all the way back down.   It was quite a trip.

14 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

More recently in Doom 2016 I've encountered a bug where I'm suddenly flung at crazy speed against a wall.   Once in the opening map, the UAC, it happened straight up.   I just suddenly launched way high in the sky at hyper speed and could look down on the whole map, and then fell all the way back down.   It was quite a trip.

Did you bind the JUMP key to mouse wheel and then spin it real fast? ;D

Nah, still spacebar.   Think it happened while still using the default controls.   More recently I configured it to be as close to Eternal as possible but still have jump as spacebar.

I was joking, Gokuma. There's this recently discovered bug in Doom Eternal where binding "jump" to the mouse wheel, then walking right to the edge of a raised platform and then letting the wheel spin, unconstrained, will make your avatar rocket up into the sky. What your Doom 2016 bug did to you, reminded me of that.

Didn't realize you were joking but I've seen that Devs React to 27 Minute Speedrun video where the guy does that in Eternal.   I was sent rocketing at a much higher speed than that.