Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I was 14. I think I first played the Shareware version of Doom in February or March of 1994 and bought the full game not long after in April or May.

7 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Rise of the Triad bragged about getting the 5 violence rating for "wanton and gratuitous violence" (Doom got a 4 for boring old "blood and gore") in promotions.

I can understand the 5 for ROTT.

I feel like there was more blood and gore in ROTT than in Doom. There was more gibbing (such as the eyeball and the middle finger that would occasionally fly by). You had the rotating blade traps that contributed to the gibs and blood flying everywhere. There were soldiers that would drop to their knees and beg you not to kill them (yes, if you didn't they would get back up and attack you again). Many of the enemies were actual humans (they may have been cultists, but they were still living human beings, as opposed to being zombies or demonic beings). Yeah, I can understand the 5.

Probably 4, as my Dad was pretty into computers and gaming back in the early 90s and I'd have seen Doom and other games of the era around the time they came out. I played almost exclusively with IDDQD in the 90s, as I liked killing the monsters and wanted there to be a lot of kill, so stuck to Ultra-Violence.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

I feel like there was more blood and gore in ROTT than in Doom

ROTT also had those weird bouncy platforms IIRC. They were very strange in a 3D shooter. Those things only really made sense in Q3A.

I've said this before, but I was 11 years old when Doom came out, which is scientifically proven to be the perfect age to properly absorb the game.  It was the most utterly cool thing in the world as far as I was concerned

On 6/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, smeghammer said:

I'm 51. Started in early my 20's when it first came out... Probably many more who first played as teenager/early twenties who are now fifty-something :-)

This. I'm 55 and first saw doom at (then) workplace when the boss was trying it out after hours in 1994; didn't even have sound cards in the machines back then :) I was 29 at the time.

Uh, 4 or 5 I think?  It was a couple years after Doom was released (1995).

The game was bundled with a shareware disk that came with my new PC at the time (along with Rise of the Triad). One thing I remember back in the day is that I don't have music since I didn't know how to configure and I think I am missing some other stuff. Still can remember the bleepy bloops of the PC Speaker going at it, in fact I let the demo run so much that I can still remember the noises to this day. Strange that I can't find the exact version of the demo these days for some reason.

Interestingly this is the time when we have play buttons on CD drives so I still have quite the memories of playing ROTT with Kenny G music playing in the background. Not sure why I didn't do the same with Doom though.

That must have been around 1994 and thus me innocent 12 when I first played the shareware version from a magazine's cover discs, if I recall correctly. It ran very slow, but damn was it something special.

18 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

being in your 60s isn't that old!

I wonder if there are like 80 year old doomers out there who still love to rip apart demon carcasses. I could see my grandmother do that, actually. XD

I am suprised that I seem to be one of the youngest members here. I will turn 30 on 28th August.

I started played Doom, Doom 2, Heretic,  Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D (all of these fps games) in the year of 1998. 

But since I was only 8. All I was doing was cheating back then.

IDDQD and IDKFA for Doom

Rambo for Heretic (I didnt know "Quicken" back then, by the way)

DNKROZ and DNSTUFF for Duke Nukem 3D

I used to cheat a lot too like many people here lol.

9 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I am suprised that I seem to be one of the youngest members here. I will turn 30 on 28th August.

Read the OP and the other posts, there are people younger than you, Some are older too.

4 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

I used to cheat a lot too like many people here lol.

Read the OP and the other posts, there are people younger than you, Some are older too.

Ahh, yeah. My mistake. I saw someone even 16.

18 and it was scary - especially with headphones.

The Maze in E1M2 and E1M4 provided some deliciously frightening moments.

I was introduced to classic doom around ~2007-2009 (16-18) via Youtube. Of course it wasn't actually doom. It was the Ghoul's forest series. I don't know if CutmanMike used actual snuff images for Yurei but man that scarred me for quite some time. I didn't know that was a mod and that the actual classic games while atmospheric at times, also have a cartoony aesthetic with some of the monsters and can be quite funny with the infighting. It was in 2016 that I got into classic because my computer at the time was unable to run many of the latest games and that I wanted something new. I tried doom at the time since I had gotten bit more of a backbone and what with all the mods, I was hooked.

i was born in 1985, so probably 8-9 years old.  my cousin had installed it onto my grandfather's gateway2000 pc. finally, something that wasn't an edutainment game! 

kind of odd with this, i had skipped doom2 and went straight to final doom.  didn't play it for the first time until somewhere between 2016-2017.  didn't play my first pwad(new gothic movement 1) until 2016.

Edited by loveless : accidentally a word, a whole word

Doom/Doom II- On Xbox via the Doom 3: Limited Collector's Edition at about 14/15. I knew about Doom before that but i don't remember playing it as i just didn't play it on PC. My family did have an old PC with Windows ME on it but i only played a few PC games such as The Sims (1999) and Midtown Madness (1999). I eventually played Doom on PC via an old laptop a few years after i played it on Xbox.

Doom 64 - 2001ish? I know it was later in the N64's lifespan. I was too busy playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with my friends instead. I would of been 10/11 then though by the time i played it. I never beat it back then though. It actually scared me quite a bit and it was super dark so i couldn't really see that well lol.

Doom 64 was the first one i played (if you couldn't tell by the years listed above) and then i played Doom 3 followed by Doom/Doom II.

7 I think, first release game I ever played, I'm 20 now and still playing lol

Probably 15 when I played it more consistently, but that was when I got Doom2. I missed the original since I was playing ROTT more. I recall the shareware episode being on display at my school during an open house around release though. 

Now my 7 year old son constantly wants to play coop with me and watch RetroAhoy's Youtube video. 

10 or somewhere there with Doom 3, didn't really get into the older games until I found out about LoS mod thanks to some Doom 3 search results, made me curious to check out the earlier games.

alright, the results are in! the winner is... 

about 11 years old (10.8 rounded)!  pretty young, but I'm sure it was younger, since there were a few outliers, but still, pretty impressive given the blood and gore! this was fun! It's always nice to know somebody else's age in case of blackmail. LoL! I'm happy that all of you participated in this!

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

alright, the results are in! the winner is... 

about 11 years old (10.8 rounded)!  pretty young, but I'm sure it was younger, since there were a few outliers, but still, pretty impressive given the blood and gore! this was fun! It's always nice to know somebody else's age in case of blackmail. LoL! I'm happy that all of you participated in this!

i was 9

i'm 13 now

I was 21 when I started playing Doom, at the end of 1993.

Stopped playing in 1996 (when Duke Nukem cam out), came back in 2009.