Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

Alas, my first experience was on the 32x and it wasn't a great introduction. I was 11 or 12 at the time and if I remember correctly it was 1994. 

Then, when I was around 15 I had it on PSX and it included both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. That was my first proper dive into Doom. I finally got to play it on PC when I was around 18. I bought myself a crappy PC (like most people at that age money was tight) just to play PC Doom and I think the first Wad I ever tried was Momento Mori. 

I didn't imagine this topic to still be going after my last post. maybe I'll redo the average in a while!

I was around 11-12. I found the GBA port of Doom 2 in a pawn shop 15 years ago or so, and bought it because of the box art alone. I never got the chance to play a proper version of it until I was 16 or 17. I thought I was a badass because I had beaten the GBA port multiple times on nightmare difficulty, but as it turns out, nightmare on the GBA version is much easier than ultraviolence in the actual game. I had a pretty rude awakening when I immediately defaulted to nightmare for the first time.

I didn't discover just how big the modding community was until a few months ago. It was the latest console ports that got my interest in it. 

I know I played a level or two at a friends house as a kid, but didn't really play it until I was around 21 (around 2012/2013). Honestly just never got into fps games until much later since I was always more into RPGs and survival horror.

I started when I was a teenager when DOOM first came out...Tho I have to admit I used IDCLIP and IDFA like hell. :D

Between 5 and 10yo :-P

Played the hell outta shareware DooM and Duke 3D as a kid but can’t remember if I played DooM before Duke 3D came out or if I got into DooM from playing Duke :-P

My first contact with the saga was on the early 2010's with Doom 3 (yep, that one) when i was was like 4 or 5

Then i remember playing the classic ones from time to time during 2016-17 because it was the only game my pc ran

It wasn't until this year that i started to play it regularly and dowloading wads and all of that

I was 9 and it was the summer of '94. My uncle set it up to shut me up and keep me occupied while my family was visiting. Until then I had only used word processors and my family wouldn't get a computer for another five years, so it was the first time I had ever used a mouse. I remember thinking the pistol looked weird when it fired, like it got fatter, but I had loads of fun playing on ITYTD and I would ask to play it every time we went to visit.

Later during my adolescence when I was getting into music, I would hear certain songs and think, "I don't know why but this has a Doom sound and I like it". It all clicked when I picked up a copy of the collector's edition in high school and it still makes me wonder if I would've gotten into the same music if I never played Doom.

I think I was 5 or 6 I think? Back in the early 2000's, 2001 perhaps. Remember not knowing how to read but still could turn the PC on, search and open the SNES emulator AND Doom. Also knew how to use cheats, that's the only way I played back when I was yong hehe

I was 12 in 2014, played the shitty Steam version in windowed mode on Not Too Rough and had the piss scared out of me when I first saw a pinkie in the tunnel maze of e1m4.

I think I was on a Quake hyperfixation high after learning about QTF through my TF2 addiction (which was my first FPS, got into it the same year) and I wanted to check out more id games.

5 or 6, in the year 2000 or so. Where I live having a computer was a luxury in those times, and my dad had the shareware version for some reason. He used to just IDDQD + IDKFA and play with me by his side. Pretty redundant. Who the hell plays Doom with his 5 year old son?

What hooked me was E1M3 when you pick the key, everything gets dark and some imps come out? I almost pissed my pants, and I loved it. I played the shareware version so much and i hated that shareware screen with the blue and red and the cacos and the lost souls.

When i was 10 they hired internet for the house and I just pirated everything. Couldn't pass Doom II nor Plutonia though. I was scared of Pain elementals and I still remember playing Plutonia, walking towards the red key and suddenly that revenant appearing with the scream? I almost cried and that was the last time I played plutonia until I was older lol.

Edited by nostalgia

Well, depends on what your definition is. First time I ever played Doom was probably around 13, but only in the past month or so have I gotten fully into the games and become a member of the community. I'm 17 right now.

I started playing doom since 6 months ago. And i'm already into mapping and modding stuff lmao

26 years old, basically 2 years ago. Pretty new eh, some of you guys play this game even before 2000

It makes me smile seeing everyone who was an adult in 1993 and still here on doomworld. Excited to see the next generation too. Doom really was a phenomenon like Star Wars and we all recognized it. My dad let me play wolf in 92 then doom in 93 when I was 4 years old and I never stopped. It looks like a lot of you had cool dads too props to them. Different topic but I wonder if any recent games will get the same treatment as doom? Half life alyx??

Which years I have played Doom?

I started playing it (Doom 1 and Doom 2) in 1998 at first and played it till 2000 so I lost the game in 2000 when we moved to another place and found it in 2001 again. There has been one year break during that period. I started playing it in 2001 again. Lost it in 2002 when we moved to another place again. We had to keep moving from one place to another. There has been one year break again. As I found it again in 2003 and including Final Doom this time, which was when I first played Final Doom. Each time new cds are bought. I played it until 2011 from 2003 like that. When I went to the new windows, the game no longer worked in 2011. I had to throw the cds for that reason after being no use. Then in either summer of 2018 or autumn of 2018, I got them from internet. And they were made for modern windows. I played it till the february 2019. That was till the moment when I broke my pc throwing it out of the window when I was drunk. I got a new pc but cheap one in April 2020. I started it playing it again since then.

Always but always, I played with keyboard only since 1998...

So my fingers are used to playing Doom with keyboard since my childhood.

Born in August 1990. I will turn 30 in August 2020.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

On 19 June 2020 at 5:59 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

I wonder if there are like 80 year old doomers out there who still love to rip apart demon carcasses. I could see my grandmother do that, actually. XD

Late reply but it was my granddad who introduced me to Doom (5, 2002 to answer the thread question). Last year he was playing Doom 2016, and last week he turned 89.

9 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Late reply but it was my granddad who introduced me to Doom (5, 2002 to answer the thread question). Last year he was playing Doom 2016, and last week he turned 89.

That's amazing! If he played when DOOM released, he would have been 62! The coolest thing I've ever seen my Grandma do was play Basketball (which is still pretty cool considering her age)! Is there a chance I could get his autograph?

3 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

That's amazing! If he played when DOOM released, he would have been 62!

He got into Doom at the same time as me afaik; his friend gave him his PS1 and Doom was one of the games with it, so he was already in his 70s by that point!

i was maybe 9 when my brother started playing with it, i couldnt play that well of course but i remember one thing: the freaking rabbit ending traumatized me so much!!! I think it was 1997/1998 or something

Started in 2016 sometime after seeing TB's video on BD, so at 20 years old I suppose. I was on track to eventually land here, I started getting interested in older shooters when my brother bought the HL2 in 2015.

I was 13 (1995). First played it on the SNES, loved it! .... But then when I saw the PC version, loved it even more!

I think it was arround 2003/2004 when I was 6/7 years old.   It was a shareware copy from a shovelware cd my dad bought a long time ago (I still have it,it's called Gigapack vol. 1). It also has shareware versions of Heretic, Wolfenstein 3D, Raptor, Duke Nukem 3D... I played them with my dad - and we finished most of them. We also had pirated Doom 2, which we did not finish at that time, because we got stuck/lost in the downtown map and he did not know what to do (he hates that map to this day :D). 

8 years old. Was screwing around in some flash game portals in the internet around 2012. Found the shareware episode ported to Flash through some application called Alchemy, and had a blast with Doom.

Couldn't get past E1M5 because I was scared of the extremely dark room with monsters.