Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiT_gam3r

how old were you when you started playing DOOM?

I used to cheat a lot too like many people here lol.

9 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I am suprised that I seem to be one of the youngest members here. I will turn 30 on 28th August.

Read the OP and the other posts, there are people younger than you, Some are older too.

4 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

I used to cheat a lot too like many people here lol.

Read the OP and the other posts, there are people younger than you, Some are older too.

Ahh, yeah. My mistake. I saw someone even 16.

18 and it was scary - especially with headphones.

The Maze in E1M2 and E1M4 provided some deliciously frightening moments.

I was introduced to classic doom around ~2007-2009 (16-18) via Youtube. Of course it wasn't actually doom. It was the Ghoul's forest series. I don't know if CutmanMike used actual snuff images for Yurei but man that scarred me for quite some time. I didn't know that was a mod and that the actual classic games while atmospheric at times, also have a cartoony aesthetic with some of the monsters and can be quite funny with the infighting. It was in 2016 that I got into classic because my computer at the time was unable to run many of the latest games and that I wanted something new. I tried doom at the time since I had gotten bit more of a backbone and what with all the mods, I was hooked.

I was 7 or 8 if I remember correctly

Posted (edited)

i was born in 1985, so probably 8-9 years old.  my cousin had installed it onto my grandfather's gateway2000 pc. finally, something that wasn't an edutainment game! 

kind of odd with this, i had skipped doom2 and went straight to final doom.  didn't play it for the first time until somewhere between 2016-2017.  didn't play my first pwad(new gothic movement 1) until 2016.

Edited by loveless : accidentally a word, a whole word

Doom/Doom II- On Xbox via the Doom 3: Limited Collector's Edition at about 14/15. I knew about Doom before that but i don't remember playing it as i just didn't play it on PC. My family did have an old PC with Windows ME on it but i only played a few PC games such as The Sims (1999) and Midtown Madness (1999). I eventually played Doom on PC via an old laptop a few years after i played it on Xbox.

Doom 64 - 2001ish? I know it was later in the N64's lifespan. I was too busy playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with my friends instead. I would of been 10/11 then though by the time i played it. I never beat it back then though. It actually scared me quite a bit and it was super dark so i couldn't really see that well lol.

Doom 64 was the first one i played (if you couldn't tell by the years listed above) and then i played Doom 3 followed by Doom/Doom II.

Posted (edited)

7 I think, first release game I ever played, I'm 20 now and still playing lol

Probably 15 when I played it more consistently, but that was when I got Doom2. I missed the original since I was playing ROTT more. I recall the shareware episode being on display at my school during an open house around release though. 

Now my 7 year old son constantly wants to play coop with me and watch RetroAhoy's Youtube video. 

10 or somewhere there with Doom 3, didn't really get into the older games until I found out about LoS mod thanks to some Doom 3 search results, made me curious to check out the earlier games.

alright, the results are in! the winner is... 

about 11 years old (10.8 rounded)!  pretty young, but I'm sure it was younger, since there were a few outliers, but still, pretty impressive given the blood and gore! this was fun! It's always nice to know somebody else's age in case of blackmail. LoL! I'm happy that all of you participated in this!

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

alright, the results are in! the winner is... 

about 11 years old (10.8 rounded)!  pretty young, but I'm sure it was younger, since there were a few outliers, but still, pretty impressive given the blood and gore! this was fun! It's always nice to know somebody else's age in case of blackmail. LoL! I'm happy that all of you participated in this!

i was 9

i'm 13 now

Posted (edited)

I was 21 when I started playing Doom, at the end of 1993.

Stopped playing in 1996 (when Duke Nukem cam out), came back in 2009.

Alas, my first experience was on the 32x and it wasn't a great introduction. I was 11 or 12 at the time and if I remember correctly it was 1994. 

Then, when I was around 15 I had it on PSX and it included both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. That was my first proper dive into Doom. I finally got to play it on PC when I was around 18. I bought myself a crappy PC (like most people at that age money was tight) just to play PC Doom and I think the first Wad I ever tried was Momento Mori. 

I didn't imagine this topic to still be going after my last post. maybe I'll redo the average in a while!

I was around 11-12. I found the GBA port of Doom 2 in a pawn shop 15 years ago or so, and bought it because of the box art alone. I never got the chance to play a proper version of it until I was 16 or 17. I thought I was a badass because I had beaten the GBA port multiple times on nightmare difficulty, but as it turns out, nightmare on the GBA version is much easier than ultraviolence in the actual game. I had a pretty rude awakening when I immediately defaulted to nightmare for the first time.

I didn't discover just how big the modding community was until a few months ago. It was the latest console ports that got my interest in it. 

I know I played a level or two at a friends house as a kid, but didn't really play it until I was around 21 (around 2012/2013). Honestly just never got into fps games until much later since I was always more into RPGs and survival horror.

Posted (edited)

I started when I was a teenager when DOOM first came out...Tho I have to admit I used IDCLIP and IDFA like hell. :D

Between 5 and 10yo :-P

Played the hell outta shareware DooM and Duke 3D as a kid but can’t remember if I played DooM before Duke 3D came out or if I got into DooM from playing Duke :-P

My first contact with the saga was on the early 2010's with Doom 3 (yep, that one) when i was was like 4 or 5

Then i remember playing the classic ones from time to time during 2016-17 because it was the only game my pc ran

It wasn't until this year that i started to play it regularly and dowloading wads and all of that

I was 9 and it was the summer of '94. My uncle set it up to shut me up and keep me occupied while my family was visiting. Until then I had only used word processors and my family wouldn't get a computer for another five years, so it was the first time I had ever used a mouse. I remember thinking the pistol looked weird when it fired, like it got fatter, but I had loads of fun playing on ITYTD and I would ask to play it every time we went to visit.

Later during my adolescence when I was getting into music, I would hear certain songs and think, "I don't know why but this has a Doom sound and I like it". It all clicked when I picked up a copy of the collector's edition in high school and it still makes me wonder if I would've gotten into the same music if I never played Doom.