Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rackevin

What are all the Doomworld ranks?

Recommended Posts

Lurking around here I always see new words under different people all the damn time. There's the "Junior Member", the "Senior Member", the "Salty Member" (heh) which are all obvious enough, but then I see other weirder ranks like "Forum Legend" and others, I'm just very curious as to what the hell all of the ranks are and what the hell they mean, it would be nice if someone gave me a list of all the ranks (if that's even possible) or if someone just explained to me how ranks even work in the first place. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post

wait, is there still a way to get a custom title?!?

I've always wanted one so bad, but I have no idea if you can still get it.

Share this post


Link to post

Custom titles are awarded by admins. Usually it's for some kind of contribution to the Doom community. Sometimes it's awarded for a funny observance e.g. @jute. Others just come out of nowhere, like one that went "ROCK N LOAD COCK BEEN BLOWED SOMETHING SOMETHING MANJUICE EXPLOAD". The interesting ones had a story behind it. One guy bragged about his GF and posted pics as proof. Someone else somehow (in the time before Google reverse image search) found out where the pictures originated from and exposed him. Thus, the first guy got the custom title "Reputation is a bubble that bursts when blowing it yourself". That's never a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

wait, is there still a way to get a custom title?!?

I've always wanted one so bad, but I have no idea if you can still get it.

 You can also wait for a decade for a new custom title thread to drop or brag an admin hard enough.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

 You can also wait for a decade for a new custom title thread to drop or brag an admin hard enough.

where is all them admins!?!

Share this post


Link to post

@LiT_gam3r

If you want a custom title do what I do:

 

Write down your desired nomenclature on a sticky note; then put that sticky note under your name. You'll have to move it every time you scroll, however.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I asked an Admin if I could be called senior member, they obliged.

Edited by Chezza

Share this post


Link to post

I remember on my old forum, we had our own currency that accumulated on our profile as we earned more of it from people giving upvotes/reputation to your posts. When you reached a certain amount, you could buy the ability to give yourself a custom title from the forum shop (which had other gag items and abilities) and you could edit it whenever you wanted. Mind you, it cost you 25,000 points and some people got really impatient with that and would pester people to donate them points (which you could do) so they didn't have to wait and earn it themselves.

 

I personally quite like the idea of a custom title being bestowed upon you by the admins/mods based on your behaviour, quirks, jokes and/or contributions to the community. It gives it a little bit more prestige to it, as silly as that sounds hehe.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I remember on my old forum, we had our own currency that accumulated on our profile as we earned more of it from people giving upvotes/reputation to your posts. When you reached a certain amount, you could buy the ability to give yourself a custom title from the forum shop (which had other gag items and abilities) and you could edit it whenever you wanted. Mind you, it cost you 25,000 points and some people got really impatient with that and would pester people to donate them points (which you could do) so they didn't have to wait and earn it themselves.

 

I personally quite like the idea of a custom title being bestowed upon you by the admins/mods based on your behaviour, quirks, jokes and/or contributions to the community. It gives it a little bit more prestige to it, as silly as that sounds hehe.

Nice, but an upvote system has a huge drawback; it silences unpopular opinions.

Share this post


Link to post

Most assuredly. "Upvote" was probably the wrong term to use. It was otherwise the exact same reputation system we have here as it used the same forum software.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Good-Old said:

Nice, but an upvote system has a huge drawback; it silences unpopular opinions.

 

And are also an open invitation for trolls. Been there done that, and when it happens good luck, you can't ban users for disliking someone's posts, can you now?

 

All it takes is making an internet mob angry for whatever reason or run into people who just cannot stand looking at you or being around you, and they'll start downvoting your posts into oblivion non-stop, regardless of what you're saying. I prefer the "Likes" only system myself, with or without actual reactions as an option as well. But reputation system like those of Reddit, ModDB, etc. are absolutely dreadful. Don't care, don't like, and move on with your life.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Chezza said:

I asked an Admin if I called be senior member, they obliged.

I'm gonna assume you asked them for the rank after you reached a certain post count, if not, then that to me sounds like the quickest way to getting a permanent beggar rank under my username, ngl my man.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, seed said:

 

And are also an open invitation for trolls. Been there done that, and when it happens good luck, you can't ban users for disliking someone's posts, can you now?

 

All it takes is making an internet mob angry for whatever reason or run into people who just cannot stand looking at you or being around you, and they'll start downvoting your posts into oblivion non-stop, regardless of what you're saying. I prefer the "Likes" only system myself, with or without actual reactions as an option as well. But reputation system like those of Reddit, ModDB, etc. are absolutely dreadful. Don't care, don't like, and move on with your life.

I currently like the ''like'' system here in the forums. Simple and works well enough to give the right idea. Still, I wouldnt mind some new quirks or just new stuff in the forums, kinda like a karma (like ModDB system) or something else to spice things up.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Endless said:

kinda like a karma (like ModDB system) or something else to spice things up.

 

No thanks, that's the perfect way to silence me for good honestly. If such a thing ever gets implemented I'll take my toys and leave.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Endless said:

I currently like the ''like'' system here in the forums. Simple and works well enough to give the right idea. Still, I wouldnt mind some new quirks or just new stuff in the forums, kinda like a karma (like ModDB system) or something else to spice things up.

14 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Most assuredly. "Upvote" was probably the wrong term to use. It was otherwise the exact same reputation system we have here as it used the same forum software.

Like / Reaction systems are trash in general, all they do is encourage pretentious, snarky or smug comments and attract attention-seeking drama queens, I'd rather they just get rid of it, a thanks comment isn't the hardest thing to write.

Edited by sluggard

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sluggard said:

Like / Reaction systems are trash in general, all they do is encourage snarky or smug comments and attract attention-seeking drama queens, I'd rather they just get rid of it, a thanks comment isn't the hardest thing to write.

 

But better than +1 comments with "Nice, thanks." Besides, likes are a nice boost for morale on crappy days. I like likes.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, seed said:

But better than +1 comments with "Nice, thanks." Besides, likes are a nice boost for morale on crappy days. I like likes.

It's not, more like a nice way to feed drama queens desperate for internet validation seeking.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sluggard said:

More like a nice way to feed drama queens desperate for internet validation seeking, all it does is reduce engagement with comments.

 

14 minutes ago, seed said:

 

But better than +1 comments with "Nice, thanks." Besides, likes are a nice boost for morale on crappy days. I like likes.

Both seem pretty damn equal to me. I don't really see the difference between saying "nice" through a comment and saying "nice" through a +1 on a number. They're still just "nice" after all, no? I guess a comment can be more descriptive and detailed, and unless you plan on being descriptive and detailed, it kinda seems a bit odd to make an entirely new comment just to say "nice", so a like is still helpful. I guess each one of them has a different use, huh. At least we can thank the Doom gods for us being able to do both of those options on here.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Rackevin said:

Both seem pretty damn equal to me. I don't really see the difference between saying "nice" through a comment and saying "nice" through a +1 on a number. They're still just "nice" after all, no? I guess a comment can be more descriptive and detailed, and unless you plan on being descriptive and detailed, it kinda seems a bit odd to make an entirely new comment just to say "nice", so a like is still helpful. I guess each one of them has a different use, huh. At least we can thank the Doom gods for us being able to do both of those options on here.

But then you still have this to solve, so it's not at all equal

30 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Like / Reaction systems are trash in general, all they do is encourage pretentious, snarky or smug comments and attract attention-seeking drama queens

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sluggard said:

But then you still have this to solve

Pretty sure attention seeking is just a part of human nature. It's probably gonna persist even if likes aren't a thing, and I'm pretty sure likes don't really have to do much with it anyway. If you're on a forum and you aren't expecting at least some people to be attention seeking then uh... I'm not exactly sure how I or anyone can help you with that.

Besides, what exactly is the problem with smug comments and the like? Not everything has to be serious. People can have a little fun every now and then, y'know?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Rackevin said:

People can have a little fun every now and then, y'know?

You can have all the fun you want, you don't need a like system for that, it's not much different than the upvotes system in that regard frankly.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

As the person with the highest forum reputation, I can confirm that all I've done to earn that position is post pretentious, snarky, smug, drama queen comments without actually contributing anything to the community.

You don't get it, it's not about that or having most reputation or whatever, there's more to it than just you or a few others, sorry, and it wasn't aimed at you or anyone specific.

Share this post


Link to post

I was just joking man, I didn't mean for it to come off as a slight against you. I know the type of behavior you're talking about, it's definitely a real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

As the person with the highest forum reputation, I can confirm that all I've done to earn that position is post pretentious, snarky, smug, drama queen comments without actually contributing anything to the community. 

You're the first open Oldschoolexual on Doomworld, so you have contributed something. XD

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×