Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiMpLeToNiUm

Mutagen Rapidem - Single Map

Thanks for the level. I'd like to know which complevel should i use. I tried complevel 9 in prboom+ but got stuck. I can't go any further. I'm at the place shown in the 5th screenshot. I pressed all the switches in the area, but nothing happens.

1 hour ago, Demion said:

I pressed all the switches in the area, but nothing happens.

Complevel 9, yeah. The area in screenie 4 is where your progression is.

6 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

@DemionDid you ever figure it out, man?

Yes! I forgot to tell you, i figured it out. I enjoyed  the map. I played it on UV. It was filled with my worst Doom nightmare, the archie. I saved a lot i should say, haha. I didn't like the palette you used, though. Sometimes i couldn't distinguish monsters from the enviroment, especially in the dark sectors. Too greyish i'd say. But it was an enjoyable experience overall.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and were able to find your way along! I did notice I leaned a bit heavier on the..."spicy" side this time around heh

I just finish your map on UV
Very cool green color palette, especially on a lost soul and Pain Elemental with that nice green smile. I like that rocket launcher is your go to weapon, you can kill stuff fast and you can blow yourself up because there's not that much space, it give some unique challenge
Main problem of this map for me is that it is a bitch to navigate. Lots of switches that do something, somewhere. After your little troll with Plasmagun i have no idea where to go. I was hanging around looking for I dont know what. Even after slaughter-sewers i was no idea what i have accomplite. I think some more color key could be helpful or something like that. Also platform to the end do not work for me or maybe i did something wrong, i dont know.
Overall, good map but easy to get lost 

Thanks for your feedback! A few people have commented on the obtuse progression in the map so it's definitely something I'm going to address going forward. I'll be working on ways to make sure the time spent between switch presses is minimal and or you can see pretty quickly what they've done. Glad you enjoyed the map overall!

19 minutes ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

Thanks for your feedback! A few people have commented on the obtuse progression in the map so it's definitely something I'm going to address going forward. I'll be working on ways to make sure the time spent between switch presses is minimal and or you can see pretty quickly what they've done. Glad you enjoyed the map overall!

You can add me to the few who were confused about the switches. But that's pretty much all my criticism. Otherwise beautiful map. I liked the visual style and admired the texture combinations and interior design of the level :)

I really like the use of the green/grayscale of color. I also like the feeling that this map gives you when you start out and there are a bunch of imps lined up in all directions giving you the false sense this is a slaughter map. (Its not a slaughter map)

Ill play more of this tomorrow as I have died quite a few times already and Im trying to beat the map without saving, heh.

I got stuck here. I jumped here from the plaform with megasphere after pressing green switch near the green key.

doom11.png

Played on UV, really tough fights but mostly manageable due to a reasonable amount of health being dotted around. Even fights in tight areas where you're using the Rocket Launcher felt survivable, which I don't often find to be the case. I played until I an ambush revealed a whole row of Imps (not so bad) but also 3 AVs directly behind me without warning and without any real cover, which is where I died and stopped. Not my kind of thing - I'm not a fan of traps that spring AVs on you like that.

Music is awesome too, and maybe the rest of the map is as well, but ambushes like that generally cause me to stop playing.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, el_inf said:

I got stuck here. I jumped here from the plaform with megasphere after pressing green switch near the green key.

doom11.png

Right. I was actually just thinking earlier today that this was a possibility. Thanks for the catch! Will be back in a few days to fix it up.

EDIT: Fixed this and added a few pacing/QoL changes to that area!

Edited by SiMpLeToNiUm

On 6/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, Degree23 said:

and without any real cover, which is where I died and stopped. Not my kind of thing - I'm not a fan of traps that spring AVs on you like that.

To your point, I actually did find while testing that I had to get behind the pillars in a very specific way or clear out just enough imps to let myself squeeze behind one so that's a good greivance. Especially given when you get to that area perhaps I shouldn't have made it such a ramp in difficulty or at least given the player some more options to tackle that problem. Some lessons there for sure.

EDIT: This has been addressed partially on easier difficulites with replacing 2 of the archviles with imps on ITYTD/HNTR and HMP.

Updated the OP to reflect these and some other changes to the exit and several tiny tweaks for QoL

Edited by SiMpLeToNiUm