Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Show me your PC setup!

24 minutes ago, GrossViche said:

Intel Core i7-4790 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 8GB RAM.

IMG_20200623_220548.jpg

I'm a sucker for a Logitech mouse. That's the G403, right ? How would to rate it?

FYI Speccy doesn't exactly read the RAM speed correctly either. It just shows it as single speed instead of double. Mines shows 803MHz instead of 1606MHz (pretty much 1600MHz since i have DDR3.

rvUiW2s.png

Spoiler

qakCf9V.jpg

Spoiler

7FCCNj8.jpg

Spoiler

B3ahnDO.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone cam quality. Also, I only use the Logisys center as a monitor stand. I'm not even sure it works tbh. BTW the cord hanging off of the PC is just an audio cord so i can reach my stereo. Nothing to worry about. The big "wound up" black cable is an unused HDMI cable. The yellowish cable is a USB Extension cable that i frequently use. My front ports are shot (including audio ports) so everything has to be ran from the back unfortunately :(

Additional Specs:

- 21.5" ASUS monitor (don't remember model but i know its LCD with 60hz refresh rate)

- Creative 2.1 Speakers (don't remember model)

- Logitech G203 Prodigy Gaming Mouse

- Elecwish gaming chair (off-brand cheap chair; pretty decent though)

- Logitech G105 keyboard (membrane)

- Seagate GoFlex Desk Adapter USB 3.0 1TB External HDD

- Headset - Turtle Beach Earforce PX 21

- PC case is a DeepCool Mid-Tower

- (NOT SHOWN IN PIC) LITE-ON External DVD/CD Rewritable Drive (my internal DVD/CD drive is read only)

Edited by CyberDreams : update

4 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

FYI Speccy doesn't exactly read the RAM speed correctly either. It just shows it as single speed instead of double. Mines shows 803MHz instead of 1606MHz (pretty much 1600MHz since i have DDR3.

That's the actual correct clock rate. Manufacturers just advertise it as double, because DDR can transfer data twice per cycle.

20 hours ago, dr_st said:

That's the actual correct clock rate. Manufacturers just advertise it as double, because DDR can transfer data twice per cycle.

Ohh okay. Thanks for the info :) 

I'd have to dust it first.

Anyways, I was actually about to make a thread like this! I love to see some good PC setups. I'll definitely post mine later, once it'll be in a more photogenic condition :b.

My main desk is too messy to take a photo of right now, but here's my retro rig:

eFXNtS5.jpg

It's built around a 1733 MHz Athlon XP with 1.5 gigs of RAM, a GeForce FX 5900, a 3.5" drive, a 5.25" drive, a DVD-ROM drive, a Sound Blaster AWE64, a SATA controller, a USB 2.0 controller, a shitty 10/100 network card that my workplace was going to throw away, one IDE and two SATA hard drives, and an IDE CompactFlash port (in the back) that accepts boot cards loaded with MS-DOS or FreeDOS to pre-empt Windows booting from the IDE hard drive. Attached to it I've got a Logitech MX518 mouse with a PS/2 adapter, a Dell AT101W Bigfoot keyboard with Alps switches, a Roland SC-55 MkII (using the AWE64's midi out), and a 21" Sun Microsystems-branded Trinitron that weighs 30 kilograms. The program you're looking at is DOS Navigator 1.51, a Norton Commander clone that takes a lot of the repetition and drudgery out of DOS system administration and has all sorts of wacky features like custom RGBA6 color palettes, a calendar, a CD player, etc. It's basically a text-based desktop environment.

Looks familiar. I used Dos Navigator for a number of years back then. I had it in a 132x50 text mode running via some driver. It was seriously good stuff, even supported long file names when run from the Windows Command Prompt.

There's a DPMI version of it called Necromancer's DOS Navigator that has graphical high-resolution modes and an absolutely absurd number of other features, but I find it less stable than the original.

10 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

My main desk is too messy to take a photo of right now, but here's my retro rig:

eFXNtS5.jpg

It's built around a 1733 MHz Athlon XP with 1.5 gigs of RAM, a GeForce FX 5900, a 3.5" drive, a 5.25" drive, a DVD-ROM drive, a Sound Blaster AWE64, a SATA controller, a USB 2.0 controller, a shitty 10/100 network card that my workplace was going to throw away, one IDE and two SATA hard drives, and an IDE CompactFlash port (in the back) that accepts boot cards loaded with MS-DOS or FreeDOS to pre-empt Windows booting from the IDE hard drive. Attached to it I've got a Logitech MX518 mouse with a PS/2 adapter, a Dell AT101W Bigfoot keyboard with Alps switches, a Roland SC-55 MkII (using the AWE64's midi out), and a 21" Sun Microsystems-branded Trinitron that weighs 30 kilograms. The program you're looking at is DOS Navigator 1.51, a Norton Commander clone that takes a lot of the repetition and drudgery out of DOS system administration and has all sorts of wacky features like custom RGBA6 color palettes, a calendar, a CD player, etc. It's basically a text-based desktop environment.

By this I can tell three things: 1, you like PC's, 2, retro and 3, you know about good good mouse. Nice setup mate !

I have two Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical mice. They are both 19 years old and still work perfectly.

19 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

I have two Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical mice. They are both 19 years old and still work perfectly.

Logitech has a tendecy to last forever. Ugh disgusting.

10 hours ago, Endless said:

Zombiemice! But I think they don't make 'em like this anymore, though I might be wrong.

15 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

There's a DPMI version of it called Necromancer's DOS Navigator that has graphical high-resolution modes and an absolutely absurd number of other features, but I find it less stable than the original.

I think I tried it out once, but it wasn't the time for DOS anymore. I've instead bought a copy of Total Commander years ago to use with Windows. It basically has all the features DN used to have. You can even set different file name colors based on their type/extension.

Edited by Get Phobo

17 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Zombiemice! But I think they don't make 'em like this anymore, though I might be wrong.

I still have a G302 Daedalus. Mint state, love it. Their mice are top notch to this day. Just one big drawback: They are rising prices quite high.

16 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

eFXNtS5.jpg

It's built around a 1733 MHz Athlon XP with 1.5 gigs of RAM, a GeForce FX 5900, a 3.5" drive, a 5.25" drive, a DVD-ROM drive, a Sound Blaster AWE64

That is a beautiful system you have there. What games do you mostly play on it?

12 hours ago, Endless said:

That makes them the only mice that are any good (*glares at multiple dead Razer Diamondbacks*). And at any rate, Logitech was just about the only choice for a PS/2 optical mouse with high DPI.

32 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

That is a beautiful system you have there. What games do you mostly play on it?

Right now, Doom, whether in Doom2-plus or MBF under DOS, or PrBoom or LZDoom under Windows XP. I have a whole bunch of Windows games from the late '90s and early '00s (it even runs Doom 3, if 640x480 and 20-30 fps is your idea of running) but not that many DOS games right now--floppy disks are expensive.

1 hour ago, Get Phobo said:

I think I tried it out once, but it wasn't the time for DOS anymore.

Come on, every time's the time for--WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE MPU-401 EMULATION DOESN'T WORK IN PROTECTED MODE GODDAMNIT

Jokes aside, I've played with orthodox file managers (Double Commander and Krusader) on both Linux and Windows, but it's just not the same to use one in GUI land--they go against the entire flow of a desktop environment, and to really use one on a modern system I'd probably have to go full-on masocore and use a tiling window manager instead of a traditional DE. They do make great FTP clients though.

Edited by Woolie Wool

Console stuff is important in Linux, so there I use the Midnight Commander extensively. But Windows is different, there's really not that much the Command Prompt could be of good use for. Not even in DOSbox I use a commander as I always have TC running anyway.

15 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

But Windows is different, there's really not that much the Command Prompt could be of good use for

Not for file management (except mklink), but there is a surprising amount of OS maintenance / settings tweaking that's much easier to do with command-line tools versus the GUI (and some don't even have GUI equivalents) on NT-based Windows.

17 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Come on, every time's the time for--WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE MPU-401 EMULATION DOESN'T WORK IN PROTECTED MODE GODDAMNIT

Fortunately, a good deal of protected-mode games (including all Doom, Build and Descent engine games) have native support for AWE32 music. :)

I've got a Dell Inspiron that I bought back in 2014. Intel I7-4770 3.4 ghz, 16gb DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1TB and 500GB Rosewill HDD's. It seems like it's going to get pretty long in the teeth, but it keeps on trucking. I can play Doom Eternal at 1080p with almost all settings on ultra and get 150 to 200 fps. The only upgrades I've done are the GPU, PSU (to accommodate the GPU), and the SSD. I'd say getting 6 years out of a desktop PC that was under $1000 that still works just fine is pretty damn good.

No pics of any of my computers, but my specs are...

Desktop:

Spoiler

Core i7 2700K, 3.5 GHz
16gb RAM
GTX 1080, 8gb ram
About 5TB total hard drive space (one SSD, the rest are real HDDs)
Two monitors, one is a Samsung at 3840x2160 and the other is an Acer at 1920x1080
Two sound cards one is an M-Audio FireWire Solo, the other is a SoundBlaster X-Fi thing
Das Keyboard with MX Blue switches
Logitech G502 mouse
Two Rokit 5 speakers, MDR-7506 headphones, and some Seinnhauser headphones
Slackware Linux 14.2

Whole thing is a custom rig that started life as an Alienware computer in 2003.  I've continually upgraded it since then.  All that's left of the original machine is a small hard drive I use as temporary space, and maybe some internal cables.

Server:

Spoiler

Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 GHz
2gb RAM
6 or 7 tb total space, I think?
No monitor
Slackware Linux 14.2

This is mostly a file server and a server for the Discord bot I wrote and use.

Laptop 1:

Spoiler

HP laptop
Core i5 560M, 2.67 GHz
8gb RAM
Intel HD Graphics (OpenGL v2.2 max)
300gb 7200 rpm hard drive
1280x800 screen
Logitech trackball for a mouse
Slackware Linux 14.2

I got this one only a few years ago.  It was my daily laptop until just a few months ago when I got laptop #2.  Now it's mostly for Youtube, programming, and watching movies.

Laptop 2:

Spoiler

HP laptop
AMD Ryzen 3 3200U
Radeon Vega Mobile GPU
4gb RAM
200gb SSD
32gb SD card I never remove
1280x800 screen
Slackware Linux 14.2

Unfortunately I don't have any OpenGL acceleration on this one currently.  I prefer to run stable versions of Slackware, which is 14.2 right now, but it's still on an old version of Mesa (11.2.2 lol).  I could switch over to the development branch of Slackware, which has a current Mesa version... but outside of upgrading the kernel by hand, I prefer stability over bleeding edge when it comes to my overall OS.  So until Slackware 15 comes out, I'm stuck with no OpenGL acceleration on it.  At least everything else works on it ^_^;  I mostly use it when I go to my mom's, and for programming.

Plus three Raspberry Pi 4's with a few TB of space on them.  I'm slowly working on turning a set of them into a storage cluster for fun... plus I use one to use to look up recipes in my kitchen :3

1 hour ago, dr_st said:

Not for file management (except mklink), but there is a surprising amount of OS maintenance / settings tweaking that's much easier to do with command-line tools versus the GUI (and some don't even have GUI equivalents) on NT-based Windows.

What commands are you thinking of? I'm curious.

So far the only commands I've really used when doing maintenance have been little more than /sfc and the DISM ones.

Well, one I used just yesterday is diskpart, which apparently lets you do certain things that the Disk Management GUI won't. It was specifically in the context of setting up multiple partitions on USB flash drive.

sfc, DISM are good examples too. Also PnpUtil, and even things like starting Device Manager with SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES environment variable set. And powercfg is a nice and powerful tool. These are just off the top of my head. There are more that I might recall later.

Also, there are lots of Powershell commands, but I would put these in their own category.

10 hours ago, dr_st said:

Yeah, but for some, you need the Powershell. And mklink is an additional download. While the NTFS does support symlinks (and I use them extensively), the OS, in its out-of-the-box state, doesn't let you create them.

Generally, there's a lot wrong with Windows which could be a powerful OS, but still isn't, due to MS's negligence, lack of easily accessible documentation, constant changes in the GUI, so you have an ever harder time finding all the control options with every new update, and so on.

20 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Yeah, but for some, you need the Powershell.

It ships with every version of Windows. Not that I like it much (syntax is atrocious), but it is there and can do things plain command-line cannot.

21 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

And mklink is an additional download.

No, it isn't.

22 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

While the NTFS does support symlinks (and I use them extensively), the OS, in its out-of-the-box state, doesn't let you create them.

That's also not true.

22 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Generally, there's a lot wrong with Windows which could be a powerful OS, but still isn't...

Not going to take this bait this time, sorry. ;)

7 minutes ago, dr_st said:

No, it isn't.

Are you sure about that? It may be shipped with Windows Server, but isn't shipped with Windows 10. Or wasn't, at least not with the Win 10 Pro I've got in 2016 and have been using since.

It's not a separate program. It's part of the built-in commands of cmd.exe, at least since Vista.

7 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Are you sure about that? It may be shipped with Windows Server, but isn't shipped with Windows 10. Or wasn't, at least not with the Win 10 Pro I've got in 2016 and have been using since.

2016?

Are you still on version 1607? If so, why?

6 minutes ago, dr_st said:

It's not a separate program. It's part of the built-in commands of cmd.exe, at least since Vista.

Oh yeah, indeed. I confused mklink for junction. My bad.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

2016?

Are you still on version 1607? If so, why?

No, I have installed several updates since then, though never fully wiped the system.