Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

New Wad: Phobos Abandoned Outpost (part 2)

This is the continuation map of the wad Phobos Abandoned Outpost (part 1), released last year. It's my third published map.

Here are the details:

Name: Phobos Abandoned Outpost (part 2) / PAO1+2.pk3

Map Format:  UDMF 

Ports Tested: made in GZDBbugfix for GZDoom. Only tested with GZDooom.

IWAD: Doom 2 

Map(s): MAP01 and Map02

Music: "Deep into the code" written by Bobby Prince; performed by Andrew Hulshult.

Gameplay: Designed for single player but 4-player multiplayer available.

Difficulty Settings: nope

Build Time: About a year.....but I'm a "slow mapper" (opposite of a speed mapper) - I put in an hour or two a week when i have free time. I just keep tinkering away until it's done.

Textures: All found on the Afterglow website:  Grasstex, Jimmytex, Koultex, NBflats, NB_Recol, nb_Silv, Ultratex, wallytex. Thanx to all the cool dudes who made those great textures.

Requirements: Jumping and crouching are disabled but Freelook is permitted.

Estimated completion time: Part 1....45-60mins, Part 2.....60-90mins.

Credits: Thanks to BridgeBurner for playtesting and offering helpful advice.

This is a compilation wad of Part 1 and Part 2, designed to be sequencial. Part 1 has been updated and improved a little since last year's release. There are only a few minor changes though and for those who have already played it, I've included a review version of Part 2, so that you don't have to replay part 1 again. This review version is identical to part2 but includes a full weapon pickup + backpack + green armour at the start of the level. The review version is just one map (part 2), which can be played as Map01.

This is a very long level so be sure to save often! Although it's a long game, there is plenty of gameplay and layout contrast and variation. I like long maps. Layout is not confusing and it's likely you won't need to consult the computer map. Gameplay is fast paced but not slaughter but almost slaughterish at times. Mostly linear gameplay but plenty of exploration and mutiple paths. Many secrets, none of them too difficult to find in the first playthrough. I don't consider this map to be difficult. There is plenty of health and ammo scattered around. Challenging at times, but possible to complete without dying on the first attempt. I hate frustrating maps that are too difficult and unfair and i strive to make my maps more fun and atmopheric than challenging. 

There is a huge outdoor area which may slow down your framerate if your pc isn't awesome. In that case, please consider lowering your settings and disabling things like bloom, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, etc. My HP laptop does ok.....just.

Hope you enjoy it! My next map will definitely be small LOL

Phobos Abandoned Outpost (part 1 + 2)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fx0B7-bj6iHlcxxcXbNTlFPEX1uuaR7w?usp=sharing

Phobos Abandoned Outpost (part 2 - review version)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vLVxSxkRPp6XvoqUXwPJh9VQed_OJ2DT?usp=sharing

MAP01 (edit area) at 2020.03.02 11-39-13.223 [R3107].jpg

MAP01 (edit area) at 2020.03.02 11-42-33.152 [R3107].jpg

MAP01 (edit area) at 2020.03.02 11-42-06.840 [R3107].jpg

MAP01 at 2019.07.31 22-28-50.816 [R3041].jpg

MAP01 (edit area) at 2020.05.12 15-55-22.141 [R3107].jpg

Is the "huge outdoor area which may slow down your framerate" right at the beginning?

18 hours ago, Suitepee said:

I didn't like map 2 to be honest; too big, not enough happening, dull gameplay. Map 1 was fine though still, even though I got lost at one point again. (I had previously played it last year)

Hey John, just watched your review and frankly it made me pretty sad. Feeling bummed out that you had such a terrible experience playing it. I mean, wow you got really upset and almost rage-quit. It's not the best map in the world but i never thought it was rage-quit material. LOL What got you so wound up?

Oh well, I'm open to criticism I've thought about all the points you made. I appreciate the input. Don't agree with some of it. Not sour that you trashed it a bit, that's fine but i don't get the constant complaining about lack of ammo. Everytime you said this you had enough cells or rockets etc. 

I can agree that the final boss fight is disappointing. Wish it were better. LOL

Unfortunately there was a progression bug in map one. That's never happened before. You stood right next to the red key, just far enough to not pick it up but just close enough to trigger the lift to the ceiling which hides it. It's part of the two room illusion. I'll fix that. 

Anyway, thanks for playing. Thanks to you i found a few bugs that need fixing.

I like 60min maps with a bit of exploration and some spacious areas. Different strokes for different foks, i guess. 

17 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Is the "huge outdoor area which may slow down your framerate" right at the beginning?

Yeah and also later in the game. Same area.

4 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

Hey John, just watched your review and frankly it made me pretty sad. Feeling bummed out that you had such a terrible experience playing it. I mean, wow you got really upset and almost rage-quit. It's not the best map in the world but i never thought it was rage-quit material. LOL What got you so wound up?

Oh well, I'm open to criticism I've thought about all the points you made. I appreciate the input. Don't agree with some of it. Not sour that you trashed it a bit, that's fine but i don't get the constant complaining about lack of ammo. Everytime you said this you had enough cells or rockets etc. 

I touched upon this comment at the start of tonight's livestream.

Basically I'm not exactly the most "emotionally stable" at times in regards to my mental attitude (i.e. raging) with video games. That kind of "rage quit" has happened a few times over my streaming years with various wads (mostly difficult or frustrating ones), and I usually just need a moment to collect myself before carrying on with the wad or game at hand. I wouldn't take it too personally, although I do apologise for doing that in the first place, and it's something I am trying to actively cut out as part of re-evaluating my overall approach to playing video games.

That being said, I stand by my the rest of my critique. You want to make long atmospheric maps? Great. Provide some appropriately entertaining gameplay to back up the large scale of your visual ambitions. (like you did on map 1)

And ok yeah, the ammo situation did improve eventually. It did feel a bit tight for a while though.

This wad has recently been compiled and uploaded to the ID games database so the previous links have been discontinued. 

I've tweaked quite a lot for the release:

- smoother progression and shorter length

- more monsters with better placement

- better ammo balance

- Wolfenstein and Hangar homages have been removed

- fixed a few bugs detected in reviews

- numerous minor graphical and lighting improvements

Hope you like it

You can download it here:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/pao_1_2