Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

Best video game ever (that's not DOOM)?

You mean besides DooM?

Hmmm, I really dunno. If it wasn't for Doom, id probably be Quake_Guy or somethin, making Quake maps and talking Quake talk, like "get the Shambler outta here man." ;)

Edited by Doom_Dude

I'll probably say Starcraft Brood War is a very close second if not tied for number 1 with Doom.

Probably Dark Souls III, or perhaps Resident Evil 2 Remake, but its probably recency bias since I just beat the former last week and the latter came out just last year.

Just now, FireballCaco said:

Super Mario Bros. is great. But SMB3 is WAY better. Sure, it's hard as nails but it's still a masterpiece.

Sorry for double post, but you can't sit here and pretend Super Mario World doesn't exist and isn't the best 2d mario game ;)

Some good fuckin answers already. Bravo, Doomworld.

I'm comfortable saying, "Doom is the best game ever and if you disagree you're wrong." But #2 is very subjective. I'd have a hard time nominating as anything objectively better than SMB or Broodwar.  Anything I could name as second place is either a much narrower game or is substantially flawed. (Such as Fallout 2 or Archon.)

I think other people might justifiably nominate their preferred iteration of Street Fighter 2 or Civilization, although I don't care for either series. And the best GTA game is obviously Vice City.

I would say Wolfenstein 3D is a good one in my top 5, however my top 3 games are this:

1- Zelda 3 A Link To The Past - First videogame I ever played sooooo

2- Super Metroid - Fast, shooting aliens, fun, you play as a waifu, speedrunnable.

3- Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)

I'd say Doom is like my number 4 spot, even though I play it more than the other 3 games.

I will go with Shadow of the Colossus. Or ICO serie in general (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian).

Its amazing what Team ICO made, but Shadow of the Colossus is their masterpiece!

Its a game that has soo much feelings on it, but there is almost no dialogue on it.

It opened the way to new forms of telling stories in games as no other game did since the original Prince of Persia.

Doom2!

Diablo2
Darksouls1 (and only 1)

Starcraft 1

Gears of War 1 (one of the few FPS franchises that got the shotgun instagib perfectly right). I can't think of many other FPS aside from doom2 and GoW1 where your shotgun is your go to weapon before the typical assault/battle rifle. Beautiful. 

Edited by Hell Interface

Among my personal favorites are Metal Gear Solid 3 (probably number one), Terraria, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 5, and maybe RollerCoaster Tycoon. That's super all over the place, but I like what I like.

Halo: Combat Evolved. That game was an absolute milestone in gaming, just like Doom, Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-man, Sonic, Mario, and Half-life.

25 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

Halo: Combat Evolved. That game was an absolute milestone in gaming, just like Doom, Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-man, Sonic, Mario, and Half-life.

Shit, Half-Life totally slipped my mind. That's gotta be up there for me.

As for Halo, I've played a bit of LAN deathmatch and it was pretty stellar but I've never played the campaign. I'll definitely have to get on that.

As a young kid, Doom was one of my favorite game series, but beside that, Diablo was at the top with it. Also enjoyed Starcraft/Warcraft and of course Quake, Sonic and Mario games, there was just too many good games back then to mention them all. Nowadays, I have hard time finding a single new good game that I can enjoy...