• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

Best video game ever (that's not DOOM)?

On 10/1/2020 at 12:29 AM, scalliano said:

Thunder Force IV.

Or Gunstar Heroes.

I'd pop either of those bad boys in any day of the week..

Can never get enough of those either. Have a big soft spot for IV's soundtrack!

On 9/20/2020 at 12:15 AM, goggles stan said:

postal 2 mainly because i have kind of a special bond to it even when i couldn't play it

Postal 2 is one of my favorite games as well, it would be hard to say how many hours I've put into it, but it's a lot. It's still janky as hell after all these years, but it's fun to go back to. And I have some strong personal attachments to it as well, same with Doom. It'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Quake III Arena. Although when someone mentions any of the Doom or Quake game as their favorite, my heart keeps calm and remains satisfied :D

[just cause 3] + all [dlc]s. just like to glide in the air for miles on end. was not too fond of [jc4] due to weird colours and confusing weapon system.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:45 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Based on the 120 million copies sold (so far), I'd probably have to say Grand Theft Auto 5.

By that logic then Minecraft is the best game ever made.

Actually that's fine, I can live with that.

- Wolfenstein 3D (fun gameplay, gets a history nerd like me excited.)

- Age of Empires I, II and III (fun gameplay, strategy. And yes, I like AoE III.) 

- Minecraft (good progression, fun gameplay)

- Super Mario Bros (fun platforming)

- Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (fun action)

For me....it always comes back to Halflife. Just a pivotal game that changed the way we think about the entire medium. The sequel's a very close second.

Most of my life I only played doom and community mods, but a few years ago I discovered the souls series. Holy shit. 

Bloodborne is the most beautiful and artistic game I've ever played, and Sekiro has one of the most intense, engrossing and breathtaking gameplay I've experienced (I literally forget to breath during difficult fights). It is the first time I injure my hand playing something because I was gripping the controller too hard. 

Prey (2017).  An absolutely ridiculous masterpiece in the "Ultima Underworld/System Shock-like" genre, with far more player freedom and much better level design than any similar game.

Rimworld. Maybe. I don't know. I'm not sure if I think the game is great or that it's been carefully calibrated to short circuit the part of my brain that resists addiction.

Well this is an old thread revived. I always find it interesting when a long dead thread gets traction again.

I just can't choose one game as the best, as my tastes are diverse and deliver their own experiences the best way.

So that being said:

- Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl

- Mount & Blade Warband

- Medieval Total War 2

These are but the tip of the ice burg of the many amazing games I've played - but to me these belong to the tip that stands out

Team Fortress 2 for me. Now, the game is admittedly past its prime and unfortunately has a rather toxic community but gameplay wise it remains unparalleled. 9 classes which each turn TF2 into an essentially different game, various amount of gamemodes, weapons & community content and the chaotic nature of an average 12v12 lobby lend to thousands of hours of fun. Peak game.

Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline and Bad Company 2, Call of Duty 1, original MW Trilogy, Black Ops 1-2 and Ghosts, Spore, Bulletstorm, Far Cry 3, 3: Blood Dragon and 4, Garry's Mod, Wolfenstein The New Order, all God of Wars released on PS3 (including ports) and Ratchet & Clank Future Trilogy

The obvious answer is Minecraft. No, I dont want to give it best status, but its been around for a long time now and it hasnt been ruined persay.

Youve got to give props for that.

-Deus Ex

-Half Life

-Fallout New Vegas

-World of Warcraft (vanilla and burning crusade ONLY - Im serious, though it was ruined a long time ago)

What Im really glad about is the final fantasy 7 crowd have fallen way out of the way for top 10 all time.

Edited by Dreamskull

Oh, best Not-Doom games.  Hmm.

Long list for me, too.

Immediately coming to mind:

• Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
  • Diablo 2
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (I don't think it gets nearly enough love)
  • Goldeneye (N64)
  • Final Fantasy 6 (if you haven't played the Pixel Remaster, you should; amazing job)
  • Genesis: Alpha One (after all of the patches, it is so worth it)
  • Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Too hard to pick one so I'm going to do a top 10 off the top of my head

* Dark Souls 3. More refined and content rich than the original and plays just as nice. 

* Fallout New Vegas. By far one of the most interesting action RPGs I've played. Does role-playing extremely well. People debate on the characters and factions to this day.

* Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Legacy Halo games with unified multiplayer and updated graphics. Had a rough start but it's currently very polished. A must have for console shooter fans.

* MGS5 The Phantom Pain. Technically unfinished but it does everything right. Particularly liked how enemies adapt to your playstyle.

* Star Wars KOTOR 2. Another unfinished game that I liked a lot. Role-playing is fun, dialogues and characters are very interesting, cool "old era" setting. 
* Mass Effect 2. Combines action and role-playing well enough, particularly liked the emphasis on crewmember stories. Amazing sci-fi setting.

* Europa Universalis 4. The best grand strategy game, there is always something new to do, and the possibilities are endless.

* Minecraft. The best sandbox game, gets content updates frequently, massive modding community, has retained it original character over the years.

* Metal Gear Rising. Excellent hack and slash game, has the most impressive animations I've seen in an action game. A fun ride from beginning to end.

* Deus Ex human revolution. 

Some that come to my mind:

• Quake 3 Arena
  • Unreal
  • Crash Bandicoot 2
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • BattleBlock Theater

• ark: survival evolved
  • fallout 4
  • call of duty black ops 3
  • halo 1, 2, and 3
  • minecraft
  • ultrakill

Just to name a few...

I've put a LOT of time into Sonic 3 & Knuckles over the decades and find it hard to top. Not by any means a perfect game or series, but I love how OG 2D Sonic games, at their best, become these pinball-like kinetic playgrounds. The Genesis era "classic" titles, along with Sonic Mania, are an absolute thrill. 

My favorites are

• Half-Life
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  • Deus Ex
  • Max Payne 2
  • Castelvania SOTN
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Mother 3

Two games who give me chills when i think about hours of gaming :

• Half-Life
  • STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl

I edit my post with a double.

ONE game who give me chills when i think about HOURS of gaming :

• STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl with the Autumn Aurora mod 2.0.4

Outer Wilds.

It's quite intriguing nobody mentionned it before me.

Portal 2. I cannot think of a singular critique for it, maybe outside of the game being super easy once replaying it (and just in general).

My other honourable mentions would go to Metroid Prime, Breath of the Wild, and maybe Tears of the Kingdom (but I still need to beat it until I can form a full opinion).