Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

What's the worst port of Doom?

Which shitty Doom port is the worst?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Which shitty Doom port is the worst?

• GBA
    • Saturn
    • 32X
    • 3DO

9 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

3DO.

It will always be.

atleast it has good music, saturn version is worse, it's just the psx version with a shittier framerate

2 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

atleast it has good music, saturn version is worse, it's just the psx version with a shittier framerate

And reduced functionality. (No colored sectors, less music, etc.)

24 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

And reduced functionality. (No colored sectors, less music, etc.)

And no native PC port.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, FireballCaco said:

There are many crappy Doom ports but which is worst?

You forgot the worst port of all. MachineWorks Northwests port to the Pocket PC. Due to how these old PDA are used it is nearly unplayable. It is like playing keyboard only, on a keyboard shrunken down to 10%, and watching it on a stamp size screen.

And what i really don't understand is, why the hell the game containing the ultimate doom IWAD, and just let you play the three episodes from the original release.

I've posted this a few times in the past when this discussion pops up.

Most on here have probably already seen it but newer fans may have not.

This is DF Retro's look at every console port of Doom- worst to best. The new PS4/XBO/Switch ports are not on here as this vid pre-dates them. It's around an hour long so grab a drink and sit back. It's detailed and thorough. 

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I've posted this a few times in the past when this discussion pops up.

Most on here have probably already seen it but newer fans may have not.

This is DF Retro's look at every console port of Doom- worst to best. The new PS4/XBO/Switch ports are not on here as this vid pre-dates them. It's around an hour long so grab a drink and sit back. It's detailed and thorough. 

Enjoy.

He asked what the worst port is, not the worst console port. That DF video does not contain anything other that the console ports. ;-)

As good as this video is, there is the old story of "doom's not 3d" inside, and it misses Doom II for the Tapwave Zodiac, so  at least one console port is missing.

the fact that GBA is on the list! the fact that somebody voted for it!

[ERROR DUE TO HEAD EXPLOSION]

5 hours ago, Nevander said:

This poll is pretty incomplete. There's a lot more ports.

To be fair its not like the OP is taking notice considering the only participation was well, the OP and also because the OP has been MIA for almost a month now.

Besides, questions like ''What port is the worst'', ''Which difficulty setting do you play at'' and ''What was first, the Caco, the Chicken, or the Egg?'' is entirely subjective and you will be hard pressed to find a complete consensus there.

I miss more unique questions.

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I miss more unique questions.

For example, "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

On 8/8/2020 at 1:02 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

the fact that GBA is on the list! the fact that somebody voted for it!

[ERROR DUE TO HEAD EXPLOSION]

I guess in some reality, that perfectly playable and technically impressive port counts as “bad”. No clue how, in terms of console ports, GBA Doom was second only to PSX Doom until the Xbox ports came along. It’s still easily among the best console ports even today.

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I guess in some reality, that perfectly playable and technically impressive port counts as “bad”. No clue how, in terms of console ports, GBA Doom was second only to PSX Doom until the Xbox ports came along. It’s still easily among the best console ports even today.

I mean, it's the censorship that turns off many people. Whether you're okay with it or also turned off, however, depends as well. As for me, I'm in the middle of both sides.

Although interestingly, it's one of the most popular among Console Doom speedrunners alike, since its exploits are the most mind-blowing (and the fastest) among all other ports.

Quite honestly I don't really say anything about the modern Unity ports because to me in a lot of ways things are better, but at the same time it amazes me they can't be bothered to have online multiplayer in a game that's been around for like 25+ years, that and I looked through the files for Doom Classic Complete and I saw Gravis Ultra Sound patches, why can't they have a MIDI engine in the modern ports? I don't claim to know anything about programming other than the little bit of knowledge that I have but I doubt things like AdLib emulation and General MIDI emulation and stuff is behind a license that would restrict commercial usage.

most of the grievances are still in the works, I believe.

Direct MUS and MIDI playback is added since the January 9th update, but only for addons. For the base game, there's recordings off the Roland SC-55 mkII.

Pre-Xbox console ports:

PS1 > Jaguar > GBA > 32X > SNES > Saturn > 3DO

Beyond the 32X you're getting into some pretty unplayable territory. 

PS1 holds up great as an alternative to the PC version. It's a significantly enhanced update of the Jag version. Jaguar version still has some unique charms that make it worth checking out (color use, keypad). GBA version was great for the time but it's been surpassed as a portable option. 32X version is a much crappier version of the Jaguar version. SNES is too primitive, Saturn and 3DO are too slow to even consider.

On 6/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, FireballCaco said:

There are many crappy Doom ports but which is worst?

I simply can not believe that the GBA port of Doom is on this list. 

3 hours ago, Raleigh said:

3do, when I saw it on yt gave me cancer

I'd get that treated then...

Had a few relatives passed on due to cancer so don't really find it that funny. 

Breakdown is as follows from best to worst.
The 32x port while lacking most of the levels, half of the textures, most of the geometry, a few less demons and the hilarious "DOS" prompt at the end but if I was a broke kid in the 90s with a 32x I'd be in heaven. Not bad, but antiquated.
The GBA port is nice enough for what it needs to be, no more no less but with mobile I see this obsolete. Still a neat game to have on the GBA all this considered.
The 3DO ports framerate is an absolute earthen spud, it's not playable. At all. BUT we do have the insane story behind how it was made and it's kickass music.

The Saturn port has nothing redeeming at all. That port is rotten, not even raw. And even still I spent $70 on the game to just add it to my collection and go 'why god, why me'.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, famicommander said:

Pre-Xbox console ports:

PS1 > Jaguar > GBA > 32X > SNES > Saturn > 3DO

Beyond the 32X you're getting into some pretty unplayable territory. 

PS1 holds up great as an alternative to the PC version. It's a significantly enhanced update of the Jag version. Jaguar version still has some unique charms that make it worth checking out (color use, keypad). GBA version was great for the time but it's been surpassed as a portable option. 32X version is a much crappier version of the Jaguar version. SNES is too primitive, Saturn and 3DO are too slow to even consider.

SNES version is better than the 32x version.

I was looking for SNES in the list (Unpopular opinion) but anyway I had to vote for 3DO because what else?

I don't consider GBA and 32X to be bad ports actually. I enjoyed the 32x very much. It's smaller screen and farty sound, but at least it's smoother speed compared to others and controls were fine, I enjoyed playing it and finishing it on the real consoles.

I tried to finish all Doom ports in the real consoles. The 3DO was a struggle but still because of the good music and something Becky did with the controls acceleration, I can fairly well play despite the framerate.

The only one I haven't finished was the SNES. It might be considered good just because it's impressive for the system running, but it's also very slow and for some reason I have harder times with the controls, while the monster attacks are weird, my health is chipped without me realizing it, I think the collision or hitscan check is very off, finally there were no saves or at least codes to continue progress and I left it.

There was a patch recently that improves the SNES control greatly by adding circle strafing. If ever a patch is made (or had been made) that also reduces input latency, it would honestly be a great port given the limitations. The controls were the Achilles heel of that port imo.