Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

What's the worst port of Doom?

Which shitty Doom port is the worst?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Which shitty Doom port is the worst?

• GBA
    • Saturn
    • 32X
    • 3DO

11 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Isn't SNES DOOM slower than the 3DO one frame rate wise?

It averages around 10 FPS. 3DO Doom can go faster, but it's wildly inconsistent (and there's times where it can drop to like 5 FPS), whereas SNES Doom is actually usually pretty steady.

Jaguar Doom is probably the best classic console port of Doom, but for me it also stands as a showcase for how you could only make really great games for the thing if you were a programming wizard. And even then you had pretty severe limitations; as a non-Doom example, look at how the music quality gets butchered in Rayman Jaguar versus Rayman on the Playstation.

But hey, 32 bits.

15 hours ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

The 3do Version sucks! ask the angry video game nerd!

15 hours ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

Also the Atari Jagaur version has no music, as many Doom fans and the AVGN called it "Silent Doom".

While those ports aren't very good, you should also play them yourself and collate your own opinions on why they suck instead of just outsourcing your every thought pattern to the Youtube Gremlins.

Saturn Doom - terrible framerate than the 3DO and downgraded sound effects. The Sega Saturn was just an awful developers work environment in general due to its hard to program architecture which made the Playstation 1 the superior CD-ROM console of the fifth generation.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:36 PM, Dark Pulse said:

For example, "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

What do you mean? An African or an European swallow?

On 6/8/2022 at 4:56 AM, Muusi said:

But Jag Doom is actually a decent port. 

The only thing that bugged me about the Jaguar port is the inability to circle strafe. The lack of music is disappointing but can also add another element of tension and creepiness to the game.

I also like the colour mode used on this port, giving richer and deeper colours.

I think i'll go with the 3DO version.

It's frame rate is unplayable and slower even then the Saturn port. The music is interesting i guess but it kinda reminds me of many games in the early 90's with generic rock CD redbook music.

I owned both the GBA and 3DO versions. The GBA one seemed like a miracle port and was pretty playable, can't imagine why someone would vote for that.

The 3DO port was pretty crap, yes but I'd previously played doom 2 on a PC that couldn't really play doom 2, running smallest screen size, no sounds other than beeps and maybe 10fps but dropping below when heavy action going on. So the 3DO version seemed an upgrade and there was not much competion on that system. Space Hulk which I loved but it's nothing like Doom and some crappy haunted mansion thing I can't remember the name of.

12 hours ago, Wyrmwood said:

I owned both the GBA and 3DO versions. The GBA one seemed like a miracle port and was pretty playable, can't imagine why someone would vote for that.

The 3DO port was pretty crap, yes but I'd previously played doom 2 on a PC that couldn't really play doom 2, running smallest screen size, no sounds other than beeps and maybe 10fps but dropping below when heavy action going on. So the 3DO version seemed an upgrade and there was not much competion on that system. Space Hulk which I loved but it's nothing like Doom and some crappy haunted mansion thing I can't remember the name of.

I think the GBA gets voted for because 1) the music quite frankly sucks donkey dong, and 2) it's kinda slow - not SNES slow, but still slow. It might have been rated higher if they had not bothered with music during gameplay, like the Jaguar version. It's funny how many people complain about the 32X music, but never say a word about the far worse GBA sound track. I guess that's because it's one of the few things you CAN complain about with the 32X version.

The 3DO port is a miracle for the time they allotted the developer, but if you ignore that, it sucks really bad. I've played Doom on an 020 Mac (yes, it runs just fine if you hack the code to ignore the cpu type), and the speed is rather similar - postage stamp size to be playable. This isn't something you can really put up with and still call the game good. If you're only endorsement is the game is PLAYABLE at the smallest screen size, it's a BAD game. At least the 3DO had the awesome CDDA tracks. The 020 Mac didn't have that, so I'd rate the 020 Mac Doom as worse than 3DO Doom. :D

The 3DO port is as half as good as it could be on the platform, I mean, a fan port called OptiDoom runs much better, but still has limitations, while the Saturn port could have been the best port if development went as planned.

Speaking of the Saturn hardware, I've always thought that the Saturn port of Doom was a poorly converted PAL to NTSC conversion released due to the unbearable framerate, as PAL game releases have the lower framerates compared with NTSC game releases.

The 3DO port is trash as Art Data Interactive gave the developer less time to develop the game 

I beg to differ that the GBA version of Doom 1 is any good like other people on this thread state. It was 2001 and yet they were still using the same, tired old Jaguar codebase. Jaguar Doom is just not a full Doom experience to me, the only Jaguar-based version I really like is PS1 Doom (and not a port; but Doom 64 too obviously) and that's its own thing altogether, it makes up for Jaguar Doom's shortcomings. (PSX Final Doom can fuck off though; I'd go as far to consider that game a scam. We can at least experience what could have been though, with GEC Master Edition and by extension DOOM CE). The story goes that GBA Doom 1 was originally developed with a custom engine similar to the SNES version and would have had the PC content, but a few weeks before the end of development John Carmack told them to do it all again using the Jaguar codebase. I wonder if that was another Saturn Doom situation or if the engine they developed was just awful. I mean, it did start out as a GBC version of Doom, however the hell that was meant to work. It seems that all of the fluff stuff in GBA Doom was frankensteined from the old custom version, as it has things like the world map and even an unused string for Thy Flesh Consumed.

(Also the music sounds like it was done from memory. Honestly don't get how people defend it as "cute chiptune versions" of the Doom soundtrack. It's awful and most of the tracks sound absolutely nothing like what they're supposed to be. No excuse when Doom's soundtrack is in a sequenced format where all of the note data is easily readable and ready to be transcribed by hand into another format. It's worse than the 32X version because that was at least lazy automatic conversions of Bobby Prince's original MIDI data.)

GBA Doom 2 was much better, though it used a custom engine. The GBA is definitely capable of handling the original Doom engine (hell, it can handle PrBoom), so it's disappointing we didn't see at least one straight port of PC Doom to a console with a "classic" architecture. Saturn Doom was meant to be this + a hardware renderer, but we all know what happened there I think.

Doom on Etch a Sketch

Doom on the ZX Spectrum

Doom on.... what did James say..... like a fish tank or something and now we're transcending electricity.