Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Omnedeus

OD00M, an augmented reality test.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10X2QOa2rx-R709CLiS9_t1ou6DA636rT/view?usp=drivesdk

Version 5.

Image targets required to play;

(Removed so I can sell them. Sorry guys!)

Notes:

* Still very buggy. Developer build.

* Can't get the stupid lifebar to work, so if you stop firing your character is dead.

* Weapons now have ammo counter and sprites. Picking up a new weapon will reset it. Once you run out of ammo you switch to the pistol.

* E1m2 won't compile into the APK, so don't select the level. When you beat e1m1 it skips to e1m3.

* I had to rip out the doom loader due to bugs, so the levels aren't textured (m1m1 isn't a classic doom level and is textured.)

* Tons of additional stuff in unity not built in yet.

Example on how to setup a cube:

Larger 9 cube array. Allows for viewing from 4 angles.

In-Game example, (version 1)

Should I continue working on this or abandon it in favor of something else?

There is a lot more I haven't built into the APK, like the doom shareware levels and multiplayer.

I was finally given the full unity project, Grim Dragons, which the software is based on. This will hopefully expedite the completion of a number of different parts of the project. Furthermore, I've received a lot of requests to have a standard AR function for the array. This will require a lot of image targets, which are pretty impractical to use. Instead, I'm working on a map generator which players can build custom doom levels in real time.

Here's an example of nakid AR I made in the past;

Once I complete something I think is worth playing, I will be distributing it for free. I will also be croudsourcing the image targets, because those can be sold, and are needed for you to enjoy the AR experience. I am trying to get it priced really cheaply, (under 50$). The real-time map builder will be important for people if they wish to create very large arrays with multiple sets of targets. 

Edited by Omnedeus : Update v5. 8-20

This is pretty impressive. Although, the Google Drive link asks for permission from the uploader and the YouTube videos could be embedded automatically here.

And in case you feel like working on something else, I think pausing this project is better than abandoning it, like what LateToDOOM2020 said.

as @InDOOMnesia said, you can't access the Drive, but from the videos, it looks pretty cool! It said, "made with Unity," in the second video, and I'm just wondering if this is going to be a WAD or a seperate game. Never abandon your work, or you'll never know its value. it is like reading a book about the meaning of life, and right when it says, "The true meaning is..." and then you put it down and never pick it up again. I believe that this could be a really interesting project with time and effort put into it! Good luck! 

I turned on link sharing, however you won't be able to anchor the game without buying copies of my artwork.

The abandonment is because I made my own game. The shareware doom stuff is placeholders. I made a bunch of example maps to see what I could do with it.

Yesterday, John Romero gave it his blessing.

I'm attaching the center cube free of charge.

No it's not a wad. I built new software with unity. It has a wadloader for future updates.

If you can't download let me know. It's still pretty buggy and missing a lot of features in the APK build. The rest is in unity such as multiplayer, music, gui, options menu, and about a dozen extra levels.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by Omnedeus

UPDATE:

I was approached by an old fan of my video games. He expressed interest in a resident-evil style game.

Therefore, I've been working on porting DE_RE2; a popular source map of the Raccoon City police department. This will require a new type of movement system, because the current movement cube is designed for linear 2.5D. There's several different options I will pursue, (with greater difficulty).

Version 1 will be a third person perspective, where the image targets are "linked" to the player. The augmented reality view will allow you to freely view around the player character, and they would be controlled with thumb pads on the phone screen.

Version 2 is similar, however the targets will be placed around the game world. When your character enters a new section, it will snap the image targets to a fixed location around the player. This will make it similar to traditional resident evil.

Version 3 will be first person, however the player character will always try to "link up" with the position of the player's phone in the AR space. This will be the most difficult, because it will force the player to run back and fourth through the cube to "flip" the anchoring of the game world.

Version 4 is potentially a 2D track, which will limit where the player can go in the game world and be identical to the movement system featured in the demo I uploaded. I am putting this option last, because the only type of game I can foresee this being useful is the counterstrike "zombie escape" type of gameplay.

Before I go more into development, I have to ask; have any of you even tried this? I was sent a bunch of free phones from a VR dev group who wants to see more work put into this project, however it seems like nobody is even trying this. I NEED there to be interest, because it gives me energy to continue with these projects.

Furthermore, I will be swapping out the spritesheets to add in resident-evil themed enemies and weapons. I have ideas on implementing an item system as well. this way, players can quest around RCPD searching for items.

Untitled2.png.e0dd03e72958fc14eb11654c9f45e170.pngzombie.png.a0119ce969d67003fb8d7965e8bbf4dc.pngUntitled.png.c5d5bb69b29c07cd90068b8fdd7f36a1.png782373860_Mobile-ResidentEvilUprising-Enemies.png.afb0a044ad9b60b407aa39afdb2cdce8.png818058482_Mobile-ResidentEvilDegeneration-EnemiesandCivilians.png.f4ffc213a22ff950945930cce714a44a.png

* finished splash screen level selector menu.

I didn't exactly replicate the traditional menu screen. Instead I used the benefit of ar to make a demon cube, which spins in an ar landscape. There is no load/save feature planned, so to select your level you walk to a floating image of the game level.

There are lots of reasons for this. Mostly, it's difficult to mix the old-school canvas-menu and a Google cardboard headset. It's better to instead have players walk into the boxes in realspace.

* Fixed melee attack of demon test.

One of the later problems I faced with both testing and function is how demons swarm you biting you to death. This made melee attacking demons too deadly, forced me to cut down on their numbers, etc. Now, demons will only attack one time when they approach you. If you get too far away they can attack you again. This makes standing still and shooting at a demon less of a death sentence.

Oh wow. This reminds me of junior high school, where our IT teacher taught us how to make simple augmented reality like this. We didn't get the project done though :p

Great idea btw, can't wait to try it by myself.

- e1m1 is updated to the new system and is now functional.

- tomorrow is my birthday.

What a hard and terrible year it has been. It began with frigid cold so bad I would pray that my toes wouldn't fall off. The summer heat; a steady 95-105 has made it unbearable to dev.

Due to the cursed coronavirus, there is nowhere to work. I can only hammer out about an hour of work per day. I desperately wanted to upload the completed shareware tonight for my birthday, but old fools had different plans.

I never thought I would be making this work of art. Playing the original shareware as a kid, I remember viewing the mars base through a gigantic 40 pound baby killing monitor. My 386 computer could clock a solid 66 megahertz, and I was in sheer awe of the virtual world filled with creepy demons and zombies.

Now, using my art, I'm combining the fantasy world of Inception with virtual reality phones and headsets. Now I can physically be in this world and I made it. This project is in a completely different class than doom vr. I am physically running around the levels, dodging fireballs, and fervently reaching for that next shotgun an arms reach away.

Still, I feel saddened that I simply don't have the time, money, or resources to make my own videogame completely from scratch. The doom shareware models were always meant to be placeholders for my own game; codenamed Omnedeus. Through the toils and tribulations, I now know it's a test; good against evil. The ultimate battle. The reward; my life.

I will continue working on this build tonight. There are still countless bugs which need to be addressed (I can't get the lifebar to work!!!!), However, the goal is to complete the game enough, so dedicated gamers can shoot rockets into the legendary icon of sin. All of the levels are mapped and packed full of demons to slay. All I need to do is finish converting the maps, so each of you can take a spin on the Omnedeus array.

There are a few important things to note;

- the lifebar will still be broken. 

This is a mix of a software issue and sloppy donated code. I haven't figured out how to get it to display properly. This is mostly due to illiteracy. A competent coder could probably fix it in 30 min. Sadly this is beyond my ability, and not really necessary for the next shareware build.

- players are more like noclipping ghosts.

This is a limitation of the technology. To mix the exersize and free will required for true augmented reality, the player controls an array of four spaces. These are represented by the four corners of the Omnedeus array. Players can turn the array 15 degrees by approaching the center or corner array cubes. This approach allows the player free control over their position, while always keeping them inside the space.

Stairs and pitfalls are controlled via the parented player model. It is attached to the ar camera, and is necessary for game functionality. It hasn't properly been tested, but the initial results are very promising.

The PROBLEM is ghosting through walls. You CAN walk through the walls, but the collider on doomguy can't. The results of which are either doomguy freely ghosting through the wall, or bouncing off the camera breaking the game. It will take months of work to properly address how to fix this problem. This is really only an issue with these tiny narrow corradors, especially if parts of the array are inside the walls. The temporary fix is having the player transport back to the beginning of the level once doomguy falls off the map. Obviously this leads to exploitation, but I'm confident players will stay within the walls lest they break their game.

And another issue; the unity doom loader developed on these forums has TONS of issues! It's all done in code! This is bad because Omnedeus is a world space coded game (think Minecraft. Code is done through trigger boxes not scripts). Things like doors don't work, so I had to invent a complex teleport system to help players pass through.

All of these problems, ironically aren't even relevant to the other games I've made. Proper level design solves all these issues, however I want doom shareware damnit!

Happy birthday grey beard hairs. You're now a clean shaven into a mohawk.

I'm still a bit confused on what this is. From what I see, I assume it is an app where you look at drawings, and then the DOOM levels come to life. There is not really a great description, it just gets right into the action. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you say you have to buy your artwork, but you don't say where, and screenshotting is a thing, so if you have a picture of them, put them in a pile and maybe blur some of the ones you can't see (just a suggestion, so you can make money on your work). That's all! those pictures look cool! you're a great artist!

I wanted to polish the turd more before I sold the artwork 

On 7/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

I'm still a bit confused on what this is. From what I see, I assume it is an app where you look at drawings, and then the DOOM levels come to life. There is not really a great description, it just gets right into the action. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you say you have to buy your artwork, but you don't say where, and screenshotting is a thing, so if you have a picture of them, put them in a pile and maybe blur some of the ones you can't see (just a suggestion, so you can make money on your work). That's all! those pictures look cool! you're a great artist!

I wanted to polish the turd a bit more before I sold everything on ebay.

This will be when a person can play the first 6 maps of the shareware. The Omnedeus array, (the cubes used for in-game triangulation), aren't reserved exclusively for this project. I have several games on the docket, however they all use the core software I wrote. Doom is just a placeholder for me to continue developing the software. 

PROGRESS:

I've decided to make my life easier, and forgo using the DOOM Unity software developed on these forums. It has far more problems than solutions when implementing it. 

For the technophiles;

The doomloader developed on these forums is a script that ports in the doom level during runtime. This is great for producing the textured levels. I've even seen some people even add AI and get a lot of the functionality working to produce a decent Unity doom clone.

The PROBLEM with this method is it prevents changes to the base code, adding monsters, or in any other way manipulating the game world itself. This is BAD, because the Omnedeus array uses a complex assortment of trigger boxes to allow players to physically move through the game world. This isn't basic stereoscopic rendering and a joypad; this is augmented reality. 

Therefore, the only practical solution is to abandon the code all together. I've used it to compile the game worlds into models needed for all the colliders, however they are little more than untextured game levels. This means to get doom to you guys, I gotta retexture the levels, re-code the doors, items, weapons, absolutely everything. This has drastically increased the dev time from a few days to several months.

The GOOD news is I'm almost finished with all the base code. The only thing left is to code in a new health and save feature which will track your movement through the maps. It's a lot of work and will require completely recoding all the monsters and player models, however I see no other option at this point.

The GOOD news is once this is finished, the shareware will be playable. Furthermore, I have three more games waiting on the finished code to be released. I try to work on it every day. Thanks to Covid19, my job is far more difficult than it needs to be. Sometimes it really does seem like I have to defeat hell to complete mars.

Is it that time of year already?  Omnedeus has bestowed upon us once more a virtual reality concept that us mere peasants still cannot decipher?

- Levels 1-4+1 mapped.

I've finished mapping out working versions of the levels, and will be test compiling today. For the past week or so I've been working with a pizza chain called New York JP Pizza. The goal is to put the image targets on the pizza boxes, so there can be a distribution for the image targets.

As always, the games I make are free. I made them, because I couldn't find any unity developers capable of working with me on moving their games to a Vuforia AR platform. However, you DO NEED specific image targets to properly align and play the video game. These are consumables which cost money to manufacture. Therefore you will need to pay for these.

Don't worry, I've tried to make it as cheap as humanly possible. I think I got the cost down to 1$ a target, (and you require 36 to make a basic array). 36$ is a lot of money, but considering you get 36 prints of my artwork, which just happen to also play doom, it's pretty cheap.

As soon as I compile and test a bunch of times, I'll upload it.

Amazing concept!
But its not very well explained, so a lot of people had hard time understanding your work, why your artwork is needed, and so.

It's easier to show in person.

I just put extra info here so I can hand out download links to clients.

Maybe by Halloween I'll upload some videos.

Version 5 is broken. Don't download.

Here is an example cube setup thanks to new York jp pizza. Trying to get it finished for Halloween!

IMG_20200923_231329.jpg

IMG_20200923_231303.jpg

IMG_20200922_030327.jpg