Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rackevin

Freedoom speedruns?

Are there any Freedoom speedrun threads on here? I haven't been able to find any. Post your Freedoom speedruns on here, I'd like to see 'em. Whether it be Freedoom Phase 1 or Freedoom Phase 2. Though one in specific I'm looking forward to seeing a speedrun of is Freedoom Phase 2 Map10, that one seems like it would be damn hard to memorize and make out a plan for and perfect it, with so many ways to get all around the place. Cheers

Freedoom is out of the question for the formal speedrunning because it's not finished yet, so no demos will be uploaded the archive. As for informal speedrunning, I don't know much people who is interested in Freedoom.

14 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Freedoom is out of the question for the formal speedrunning because it's not finished yet, so no demos will be uploaded the archive. As for informal speedrunning, I don't know much people who is interested in Freedoom.

Unfortunate. Kind of sad that not many people are interested in freedoom, it's a pretty cool little thing. I would have expected a bit more interest into it seeing as how most people who play doom for free play on it, but hey I guess someone who's interested enough probably wouldn't mind paying five bucks for the real game.

21 hours ago, Rackevin said:

I would have expected a bit more interest into it seeing as how most people who play doom for free play on it, but hey I guess someone who's interested enough probably wouldn't mind paying five bucks for the real game.

I've played some of it and it's cool. I like it. But, it's in a weird category because it offers the exact same gameplay as Doom, just with different graphics and levels. It feels a bit odd to play what is essentially a TC with no surprises. The behavior of things is, by necessity, identical to the original game. Everything looks different but acts the same. It's a little strange. It feels like a bootleg version... which is kind of what it is. Also, it replaces the hellish vibe with an alien one, which to me makes it seem almost watered down. For some reason, I have a hard time treating as just another megawad.

There actually is a thread with freedoom2 demos here. So far it's just a single one.

Given the constantly changing nature of freedoom it might be a good idea to include the specific freedoom[12].wad or (even better) just the map that you recorded against in the zip file.

If the good folks over at DSD have a problem with that, I don't think anyone would complain if you just post your demos here.

I would be quite excited to see some freedoom speed runs. So if you're already sitting on some: GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!

There are some Freedoom demos for version 0.11 on DSDA, though I can understand why the maintainers wouldn't want to upload more. I wonder if it will ever be truly "finished," though - I wouldn't want the possibility of future changes to prevent people from ever trying to speedrun it.

I'm currently trying to do some Freedoom speedrunning, but I suck at the game so playing on UV doesn't really work for me. If what people are saying about demos not getting put on DSDA then I might just run in ITYTD.

It'd be a nice project to get some work going on it, even if it's based on speedrun.com (since we can have multiple versions there, and video proof instead of demos would be easier for some people since dying might be a thing)

I'd love to see some work on this and I'd also love to try and help if I can.

I'm now just getting round to seriously attempting to run this a bit. Currently just learning to play really, but hopefully in the next month or two I'll have an episode 1 UV-Speed pistol start pack for all of episode 1.

Right now I'm just going through the game at least once a day on Hurt Me Plenty, and when I can comfortably do that I'll start up UV, and then I can start looking at pistol starts and recording demos and all that :3 I'm going to be streaming a lot of them on Twitch (https://twitch.tv/MyMxCraven) if you want to watch me die a lot.

I did do a 27 on E1M1, and I think 26 is possible for me, but likely 25 will be maxed.

I have also noticed that Episode 1 is a lot harder than Ep2 and 3 (I've beaten Ep2 once, and Ep3 I've got to M6 on). Those later episodes may have more harder monsters, but they don't have the sprawling map layouts that have you backtracking all over the place. Maybe I'm missing something. FreeDOOM Ep1 is definitely a lot harder than iD Ep1. There's more pinkies on map 1 and 2 on HMP than on UV in the whole of Ep1 for iD.

Still, it's a challenge to be overcome and hopefully I manage to do it, because getting some times down would be good. I'm aiming for a full pack of sub par time demos, preferably by the end of the year, but we'll see.

Edited by MxCraven : Forgot to add Twitch link

I managed to get a full run of the first episode in UV. It can definitely be done better, and I'll take the time down some more another time, but it's a thing.

If anyone expresses some interest I'll ask the speedrun.com mods if they can add Freedoom to the series over there (otherwise I'll just keep running to beat my own times, and slowly grinding to eventually get this pack sorted.)

The demo pack is gonna take a while longer I think. Not sure yet. E1M2 is an absolute beast. I still haven't posted a sub par time on Hurt Me Plenty while spawning with a shotgun... That one is gonna be the hardest.

Here's my run of the first episode anyway. It's not good, but I don't think it's all that bad for a first ever known attempt.

Freedoom speedruns sound like a great idea, albeit they be informal. It may gather more interest in the Freedoom project as a whole, which I think it deserves!

@MxCraven your embed is not working, just thought you'd like to know :)

13 hours ago, beast said:

Freedoom speedruns sound like a great idea, albeit they be informal. It may gather more interest in the Freedoom project as a whole, which I think it deserves!

@MxCraven your embed is not working, just thought you'd like to know :)

Yeah, that's on the forums end. I just put my regular link and it decided to embed it, but without the right screen size, so Twitch threw a fit...

All I did was put a link!

As an update, I have a full UV run, with saves but no loads! Didn't record a demo though, as I really wasn't expecting anything of it (and saving breaks demos I think?) I've kinda stepped back as it was just really getting hard to do anything, but I'm still playing here and there and trying to improve my skills overall so hopefully one day I'll have some demos to share with you.

I have been trying E1M1 on UV Max, and good lord, is this level a ball-ache to speed run. Waiting on a lift is the least of your problems.

Securing a shotgun early is not easy. The first two shotgun guys are atop crates, the next two atop a platform. Making you an easy target with only a pistol, while dodging Serpentipede fireballs and one angry Flesh Worm. Easier said than done.

The outside courtyard has obstacles, trees and stumps, all over the place. Most prevent running along the walls. The deep inset door-ways are prone to snagging too.

This may just be my imagination, but the Flesh Worm seems to move more erratically, the last monster in the exit room, for one example. Perhaps the size of the room is a factor.

Enough griping, I do like the map as it looks good and has a kick-ass sound track.

I did encounter a strange monster clipping bug: a Flesh Worm in the courtyard dropped behind a wall. Making it impossible to kill. Strange indeed! I don't recall ever seeing this happen in vanilla. (Skip ahead to the clipping bug with -skipsec 300).

fde1m1-mon-clip-bug.zip

fde1m1-mon-clip-bug.png

There's no point in us making a thread in the main Speed Demos section since they won't be uploaded to DSDA, so we might as well use this for them.

1 hour ago, :[Lol 6]: said:

Here it is

FREEDOOM PHASE 2 MAP01 NIGHTMARE 100% SECRETS IN 1:02.57 MIN

FD01NS102.zip

Sorry I uploaded it late, I forgot it.

On what build did you record this? I tried it with 4 different versions including the latest nightly build and cannot get it to work.

@luckypunkI recorded it in dosbox with both the doom2 v.1.9 wad and the freedoom phase 2 v.0.11.2 wad

I can record it again if you want (think I'll do it anyway)

Thank you.

It still doesn't work though. Could you maybe extract the level from the wad and post it here?

Should be as easy as 'deutex -levels -xtract freedoom2.wad' and then attach levels/map01.wad.

Heheh, it took me a few tries, I also did map02 with fast monsters only, it is pretty hard especially with the spectres.

When you use Freedoom you don't need to use iD Doom.

8 hours ago, :[Lol 6]: said:

@luckypunkI recorded it in dosbox with both the doom2 v.1.9 wad and the freedoom phase 2 v.0.11.2 wad

I can record it again if you want (think I'll do it anyway)

3 hours ago, MxCraven said:

When you use Freedoom you don't need to use iD Doom.

I know, but for some reason I can't play freedoom as an IWAD in dosbox.