Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rackevin

Freedoom speedruns?

20 hours ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

I heard some maps aren't even compatible with DOS's static vanilla limits, despite the wad being a stand-in for the original IWAD files. A bit sloppy I might say

Yes, right now is limit-removing, what I meant in that post is that the DOS exe's don't recognize the FreeDoom wads as IWADs, and that I had to use the -file parameter to load 'em.

Here's a run I did of Map32 (the really hard one), took me about 100 attempts (not that bad actually), so it's definitely beatable, and I don't have a demo as this was just a little thing I did because I had time, and recording demos, at least in my experience, is a god damn nightmare. If someone has an easy way to do it, please let me know, as ZDE refuses to work with PrBoom-Plus, and GZDoom demos aren't compatible with anything (which I told Graf it's not that hard, just have a system that switches back and forth between the two internal engines, he didn't bite), so no demo because screw that, here's the video. This was made last year, can't remember exactly when, but it was in the middle of the year most likely:

47 minutes ago, JadensWeb said:

If someone has an easy way to do it, please let me know, as ZDE refuses to work with PrBoom-Plus,

Let me introduce you to the command line/terminal

Assuming you're on Windows 10, you can go to the prboom-plus folder in your File explorer, go to the top left corner and select "Open in PowerShell" or something like that, open PowerShell and wait for a few seconds for it to load, and once you see your folder's path, you type "prboom-plus.exe -iwad freedoomx -warp mapslot -skill x -complevel x -record myfreedoomdemo

1. X in the iwad parameter corresponds to 1 or 2, depending on which FreeDoom you're playing (Phase 1 or 2)
  2. Additionally, you can load wads with the -file parameter after the iwad parameter
  3. Mapslot is X Y for Phase 1 (With the space between the number) and for Phase 2 is the map number with no spaces
  4. X in skill goes for 1 for ITYTD, 2 for HNTR, 3 for HMP, 4 for UV and 5 for NM
  5. The -complevel parameter will change the logic of the exe to resemble the original Doom/Doom2/FinalDoom/Boom/MBF exes. You may provide 2 for Phase 2 and 3 for Phase 1. More info about complevels here
  6. The -record parameter is self explanatory. Just press space after writing it and provide a name for the demo

After you're done typing your commands, press enter and the exe will launch with the parameters you provided. And once you get used to it, using the command line may be a bit easier than a launcher. Hope this helps a bit :-)

On 7/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, JadensWeb said:

GZDoom demos aren't compatible with anything (which I told Graf it's not that hard, just have a system that switches back and forth between the two internal engines, he didn't bite)

You're right, it's not hard - it's called "downloading two source ports and using a launcher to switch between them," and you can do that yourself. By the way, the ZDL launcher will work with any source port.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:02 PM, Dimon12321 said:

Here is my contribution to this thread. I'd like to pay respect to this project.

In the actual version, Map 30 is looks like a traditional Doom 2-like map, where you encounter the final boss in 5 secs, while in versions from 0.5 (I guess??) up to 0.9, it was supposed to be a hard map where you run for keys to finally get to the final boss and destroy it.

Demo file is here: https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=148661

Meanwhile, the video got 10000 views today, which is my best result in 2 years. Previous one was SNES Doom TAS. Thanks to everyone who watched and/or shared it!

I made a speedrun.com world record right now (not verified yet but wait) [MxCraven, do your job] on Freedoom 0.12.1

fdE1EC-2523.zip

video link :

Edited by AZRAEL-II : version