Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thievishaura

First Doom map ever

I thought by the title that this would be a historical dive into finding the first ever custom doom wad... this doesn't look too bad though... dont have plutonia so I won't be able to check it *frowns sadistically*

alrighty, gave it a whirl and here are some quick thoughts

-I liked the dark atmosphere, felt very evil

-the map was far too cramped in general, you are shoved into small spaces with hardly any room to maneuver, this is especially troublesome when you force the player into an absolutely tiny room with a cyberdemon where splash damage is nigh unavoidable (which is why, I presume the invlun sphere is hidden in the room, this is the equivalent of putting a band aid on a stab wound. This is also an issue with the red key room (or should I say closet) from which the barons cannot escape.

-there were a number of misaligned textures, use shift-a to align textures and use upper and lower unpeg if that doesn't work :)

-the final area, where around 50% of the enemies are, is void because the exit switch is right in front of the player, and they do not need to engage with these enemies at all.

Overall: its not the worst map I've ever encountered, but there's a lot of work that needs to be done, especially in regards to map and encounter design. I'd recommend playing Classic doom, and becoming familiar with how rooms and areas are scaled, and then moving on to stuff like Scythe and Speed of Doom and other popular wads. Not at all saying you should replicate everything done in those wads, carve your own path, but try to realize why these WADs are designed the way they are and how it benefits Doom's gameplay. Happy mapping :)

7 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

alrighty, gave it a whirl and here are some quick thoughts

-I liked the dark atmosphere, felt very evil

-the map was far too cramped in general, you are shoved into small spaces with hardly any room to maneuver, this is especially troublesome when you force the player into an absolutely tiny room with a cyberdemon where splash damage is nigh unavoidable (which is why, I presume the invlun sphere is hidden in the room, this is the equivalent of putting a band aid on a stab wound. This is also an issue with the red key room (or should I say closet) from which the barons cannot escape.

-there were a number of misaligned textures, use shift-a to align textures and use upper and lower unpeg if that doesn't work :)

-the final area, where around 50% of the enemies are, is void because the exit switch is right in front of the player, and they do not need to engage with these enemies at all.

Overall: its not the worst map I've ever encountered, but there's a lot of work that needs to be done, especially in regards to map and encounter design. I'd recommend playing Classic doom, and becoming familiar with how rooms and areas are scaled, and then moving on to stuff like Scythe and Speed of Doom and other popular wads. Not at all saying you should replicate everything done in those wads, carve your own path, but try to realize why these WADs are designed the way they are and how it benefits Doom's gameplay. Happy mapping :)

Thank you for playing! I’ll be sure to work on that and yeah that cyber demon room was a little ridiculous but I knew that making it. The invul was basically the only way to kill him so I’ll make sure to open up the maps a bit more and make it much more accessible next time around forsure.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, Wilster_Wonkels said:

I thought by the title that this would be a historical dive into finding the first ever custom doom wad... this doesn't look too bad though... dont have plutonia so I won't be able to check it *frowns sadistically*

@Wilster_Wonkels If you didn't know, this is the first ever custom Doom WAD.

Not too shabby for a first map, I must say. Even though it's a little cramped and could really use some more verticality to add to some variety to the map and give folks a better sense of level progression, what's here is interesting. Really, not too shabby at all.

Here's my playthrough:

HMP | Running on GZDoom + Hellrider

Spoiler

Edited by Biodegradable

2 hours ago, Clippy said:

Thanks for playing! sorry about the recording problems. and if you just run straight not sideways you'll get the plasma gun everytime :)

17 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Not too shabby for a first map, I must say. Even though it's a little cramped and could really use some more verticality to add to some variety to the map and give folks a better sense of level progression, what's here is interesting. Really, not too shabby at all.

Here's my playthrough:

HMP | Running on GZDoom + Hellride

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, That intro was hilarious lol. Thanks for playing! even though you werent supposed to jump it really doesnt matter lol and there is a secret but it was my first map and i was too lazy to figure out why my secrets werent working so its there if you want to find it pretty easy to find! i had a great time watching.

1 minute ago, Thievishaura said:

even though you werent supposed to jump it really doesnt matter lol

There are ways you can restrict things like jump and mouse-look if you're inclined to. I don't know how to myself as I'm not a mapper, so don't be afraid to ask around. If you ain't gonna restrict me, I'm gonna play by my own rules mwahahahaha ;^)