Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
random_soldier1337

What other forums do you frequent whose theme is different than Doomworld's?

Asking because there was that other thread where someone was asking something that most likely no one on DW could/would discuss.

Might be good to have a few recommendations ready for the next time someone like that comes along looking for help on electrical engineering or god knows what else.

Before coming to Doomworld, I was on YouChew, the old YouTube Poop forum from 2015 until its slow death in 2018. It was the only forum I had ever used. I have since tried Reddit but besides finding r/Freelance useful for work, that place bores the piss out of me, honestly. I really missed having a proper forum and am glad to have found Doomworld.

Forum sites like this fully dedicated to a specific thing are a dying breed sadly which is honestly a testament to the strength of Doomworld's community/staff and the versatility of its creativity in regards to Doom. But other forums in a similar manner are a relic of ye olden internet days of yore as people seem to prefer social media and chat groups nowadays. That fact was a significant factor that caused an spin-off forum of my old forum to die not long after its predecessor. You'd honestly have more luck finding a dedicated subreddit to a specific subject/niche. 

Edited by Biodegradable

None really. Usually when I'm playing a game I'll visit the game's forum for info and stuff. Most of the time the forums are pretty inactive. Doomworld seems to be an oddity. As said above there is Reddit, but I don't do Reddit. That seems to have taking the place of forums.

Zero. Social Media and Discord have largely supplanted forums for me, and I'm sure it has for a lot of other people as well.

Not other. I'm not too social, i think. I have an account on RPGmaker.net and usually i give some feedback and review to the developers, but not much aside from that. I have FB but i didn't use it at all, just for university things with professors and the likes.

I have a Goodreads account that is my most used social network... but i don't use it for socials, just to have a register of the books i read, loved, hated, and so. To have my books sorted out and to seek information about other books.
Its like visiting a library but from home, hahaha!

So yeah, i'm a library mouse, as people used to said backthen.

Next to none. All the other forums I used to visit are mostly gone. There's a couple that are still around but I don't bother with them anymore. Bethesda's forums got changed so much that I gave up visiting there. I used to go on the Guild Wars II forum but I haven't looked on there in many months.

I don't see Reddit as much of a forum. I do visit Reddit, since there's a few subs on there that I find interesting where there isn't too much bullshit.

I rarely check out the ZDoom forums.

I check out the ZDoom forums quite frequently. I like playing vanilla but I also like to try gameplay mods (but not BD)

Reddit is mostly shit because of the reputation system and downvotes, but in the sea of bullshit there is a good subreddit I know:

r/tipofmyjoystick. 

It is a subreddit for finding the name of a game whose name you don't know. Success rate is around 60%. I was lucky that my childhood game was a well known one(Hamsterball). So I manage to fit in the 60% :D

Otherwise I don't see a good reason to go to Reddit.

None, not anymore anyway.

Before Doomworld I used to frequent an online community from my country where I eventually became an administrator and took care of it with the rest of the staff for a few years. But it eventually shut down as the number of people frequenting our servers and the forum itself were ever dwindling and it was ultimately not worth keeping it alive anymore, so we closed down. It was mainly a Counter-Strike focused community, but we hosted servers for many other games such as GTA:SA and so on. Still, we eventually couldn't keep up with the times anymore, as many people moved with their servers on other, bigger communities, or to other, more mainstream or popular titles, while we got stuck with the ol' CS which nowadays is only really popular within retro communities. Basically, we stopped being attractive and died of "old age". It's actually re-opened recently but it belongs to the past as far as I am concerned, got other priorities, interests and problems nowadays, and going back there serves only to keep me stuck in the past. I'm no longer playing MP games at all anyway. But I do respect it for the memories it left me with, oh yes, there's lots of them, and the vast majority are pleasant too! Plus being part of the staff for a few years also helped me mature my thinking in various ways at the time, and also become more responsible as a result.

Then I joined a NFS website which is actually still going, but mostly in theory only. It has since moved most of its activity to Discord, and honestly, as my man Graf said once, "a community moving their activity to Discord entirely is probably not a community worth keeping up with" - or something like that, the point is the same. And I agree. Discord has its uses, but it can be so full of spam keeping up with what's going on is an absolute nightmare. I guess I'm too old fashioned for it, which is totally fine by me. So once the activity on the forum side almost ceased entirely, I've looked for other communities as my interests also changed and I started leaning more and more towards retro/indie games. So I found DW and ZDoom Forums, and I'm still here. I don't visit other communities currently, gaming or otherwise, unless you count the W10, NVIDIA, Batman Arkham, and NFS subreddits as "communities", which I don't - nor am I thinking too "highly" of Reddit as a whole in the first place (totally not a shithole). I've also been on Doomer Boards for a short period of time, but I largely felt ignored there, so I eventually left. 'Twas only natural.

Besides Doomworld? The doom/fps general on the /vr/ board of 4chan and sometimes i tend to lurk on rpgcodex forums to see if there is an interesting lets play of sorts, but that's it.

I feel like forums is too specific. Another question that could be asked is what social platforms do you use that are different from Doomworld. I don't have an account on either, but for comic book information, I use Quora and Reddit. 

Reddit. That's it. 

Forums other than Doomworld are insanely irritating to read after a while so I stopped going to them. When I first registered (2009) I was a member on a few tho. 

TFW2005, although my frequency has dropped since I only ever visited one thread and it was all mostly just the same stuff being posted daily.

I was posting on MTGNexus which is a newish forum about magic: the gathering

usually revolving around discussion of a subformat called Commander or EDH, talking about the latest cards and designing our own amateur ones for fun. there's also threads there about competitive disciplines of the game but they are always arguments and laments and nothing more.

getting burnt out on it, though:

- even before corona I didn't really have opponents to play against (I have a decent collection of paper Magic cards, increasingly pointlessly) so seeing people discuss game match-ups goes over my head, plus the power level of the game is rising and I prefer the game less competitive and more casual. and because of that my take on new cards is more like "Yay!" and less like "This card is not pushed enough to replace (unfair card) in my build of (unfair deck) and I see no other use for it outside of extremely casual metas"

- too many cards are coming out too quickly and its a) hard to be really interested in so many and b) starting to feel repetitious; mtg has been going for 27 years, it feels like they're running out of card NAMES, never mind playable abilities

- there have been a few political threads lately because of M:TG staff's massive imbalance towards white guys and so many people you think are cool just automatically morph into walking constitutions as soon as they spy an opportunity to recite the principles of rich people in 1776. its not even informed crywanking either, they still think SJWs exist and all that

I only truly use Doomworld actually. Every once in a while I like going into Reddit, theres some really cool stuff there if you search well into the subreddits, DnD memes and Cozy Places are some of my favorite lol.

I mostly lurk and read. It's rare for me to participate because I really don't know how to carry a conversation. I also dread saying the wrong or uninformed thing and getting hit with an eviscerating essay in excruciating point-by-point detail. To be fair, that usually happens in threads with a complex topic where nuance and a solid understanding are needed.

Before Doomworld, I was a member of the Counter-Strike community. I spent so much of my free time looking at some of the wild shit that happened there, especially in the Off-Topic Forum. It's funny that their OTF hated CS so much. I'll never forget when cliffe swept the forums under the rug by moving them to ForumPlanet when Steam was, well, picking up steam. I got a small taste of schadenfreude a few years back when I learned he was charged with soliciting a minor. I left their forums sometime in late 2008, straight-up quit cold turkey.

I discovered Reddit about two years ago and reception really depends on the subject and how moderation is handled. Some are strict and keep dumb shit out (explainlikeimfive, outoftheloop), others don't court controversy and are fairly lax (nostalgia, 90s, retrogaming, blunderyears), and some are toxic from the start and degraded by a few persistent bad actors (justneckbeardthings, inceltears).

The only place I appear in outside of here is as an admin in the Doom Community club on Xbox, outside of that I am reluctant to mention anywhere else because I lurk and contribute literally nothing.

1 hour ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

I mostly lurk and read. It's rare for me to participate because I really don't know how to carry a conversation. I also dread saying the wrong or uninformed thing and getting hit with an eviscerating essay in excruciating point-by-point detail.

Can sympathize, but unlike you, I experienced this largely in real life rather than in an online environment, where it was much easier to be called out for anything rather than have things explained to me.

Needless to say that eventually turned into yet another form of abuse on my list, sooner rather than later, naturally.

The Bootleg Games Central Forums which have been around since 2010 or so: http://bootleg.games/BGC_Forum/index.php

So much of the info and research on bootleg Famicom/NES games that’s floating around originated there. Notably, JonTron’s Titenic episode probably never would have happened without the glut of info and easy rom access provided by various BGC alums.

Other than that and a few subreddits (snore in general for reddit, by the way) all the other forums I visit with any regularity are Doom based - ZDoom forums, Zandronum, and ZDaemon. I was a regular at most of the dead Doom forums too, of which there are plenty.

Just this. Deleted my bookface around a decade ago, never used twitter/reddit/whatever else is there. Used to frequent several different forums dedicated to my favorite videogame series, but they all have since shut down thanks to Discord, which I'm slowly beginning to hate. Might have to round up my buds and once again migrate to quakenet IRC.

A lot of people are saying forums are thing of the past. I don't know about that. I frequent a few other forums that seem to be fairly active and don't show any signs of dying any time soon.

Maybe reddit really did take over for a lot of people. When I first used it I thought it would supplant forums but it often turns out to be useless for a lot of specific things. It's probably good for people who just want to mess about in askreddit or whatever talking about the stupidest things, which happens to be more than you'd hope.

It's also funny people don't really mention ZDoom forums as an active place as well. It seems like one of the premiere place to discuss Doom modding and seeing as that isn't dying any time soon, ZDoom forums probably wouldn't either. Besides there is always some thread about modding. Unless of course you guys mean that there is a threshold of visitors below which money earned isn't sufficient to maintain servers.

TBH, I'd say Zandronum forums are less lively. Don't know about their health in general but every mod I ever go to look up there is from quite a few years back. They do seem to regularly make threads about Zandronum matches though.

23 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Next to none. All the other forums I used to visit are mostly gone. There's a couple that are still around but I don't bother with them anymore. Bethesda's forums got changed so much that I gave up visiting there. I used to go on the Guild Wars II forum but I haven't looked on there in many months.

I don't see Reddit as much of a forum. I do visit Reddit, since there's a few subs on there that I find interesting where there isn't too much bullshit.

I rarely check out the ZDoom forums.

Why don't you bother with the forums anymore?

20 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

I mostly lurk and read. It's rare for me to participate because I really don't know how to carry a conversation. I also dread saying the wrong or uninformed thing and getting hit with an eviscerating essay in excruciating point-by-point detail. To be fair, that usually happens in threads with a complex topic where nuance and a solid understanding are needed.

I can say at least that maybe there should be education rather than evisceration.

19 hours ago, seed said:

Can sympathize, but unlike you, I experienced this largely in real life rather than in an online environment, where it was much easier to be called out for anything rather than have things explained to me.

Needless to say that eventually turned into yet another form of abuse on my list, sooner rather than later, naturally.

And I empathize with you. Hate my current colleagues so much. One of them is literally a petulant child who yelled at me once for not paying attention to an easily missed detail in the verbal diarrhea our boss loves to take instead of succinctly making their point right in front of said boss and then things went on for them like nothing happened.

Also some people love to be bubbly as long as at benefits them. Soon as it doesn't they'll start to treat you like shit.

Finally, fuck the concept of stupid questions. Unless I ask you what is 2+2 or how many dead people are affected by death, it's just an excuse to be cruel and lambast someone and take out your frustrations on them or otherwise dismiss what may very well be a perfectly valid question. I just don't understand why people are unable to set aside their preconceived notions and biases.

9 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Just this. Deleted my bookface around a decade ago, never used twitter/reddit/whatever else is there. Used to frequent several different forums dedicated to my favorite videogame series, but they all have since shut down thanks to Discord, which I'm slowly beginning to hate. Might have to round up my buds and once again migrate to quakenet IRC.

From what I've seen of FB/twitter/other similar social media, people do what they do IRL, stir up drama and make dumb jokes or talk about stupid things.

I used to visit (though as a lurker) the Project Perfect Mod forum quite frequently. It is forum for the classic Command and Conquer games (primarily for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2). Now I rarely ever visit it.

Nowadays, mostly just Doomworld, ZDoom and Duke4 forums get visited by me.

5 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Why don't you bother with the forums anymore?

I'm not playing Guild Wars I or II anymore, so I have lost interest in the forums. Bethesda had a nice forum and they canned it for some newfangled thing... my interest in it died.

As for ZDoom forum, I guess I lost interest.

3 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

I'm not playing Guild Wars I or II anymore, so I have lost interest in the forums. Bethesda had a nice forum and they canned it for some newfangled thing... my interest in it died.

As for ZDoom forum, I guess I lost interest.

The zdoom forums seem like a terrible place filled with terrible people

Seriously posting on doomworld I've got nothing but nice ppl

Everyone is zdoom seems crappy to talk to. Smug arrogant horrible posters