Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
random_soldier1337

What other forums do you frequent whose theme is different than Doomworld's?

25 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

It's also funny people don't really mention ZDoom forums as an active place as well.

Your question was about forums with a different theme. But the ZDoom forums have the same theme(Doom), don't they? People probably didn't mention it for that reason.

And yes, social media is just crappy shit.

15 minutes ago, Clippy said:

The zdoom forums seem like a terrible place filled with terrible people

Seriously posting on doomworld I've got nothing but nice ppl

Everyone is zdoom seems crappy to talk to. Smug arrogant horrible posters

Why? Give an example of someone being crappy.

31 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

From what I've seen of FB/twitter/other similar social media, people do what they do IRL, stir up drama and make dumb jokes or talk about stupid things.

Everything I got on FB was daily "inspirational" quotes (you know the sort) from people who were basically leeches that never did an honest day's work in their lives, idiots pushing extreme political propaganda from clickbait sites and pseudointellectual morons sharing EVERY SINGLE FUCKING POST from garbage like "I fucking love science". One day I simply snapped and pulverized everything related to my account.

Nearly everything I see related to twitter makes me want to enforce a global law that will regulate Internet access and prevent people from using it until they've proven they don't have the mental capacity of a wet turd. "Losing faith in humanity" is probably one of the most cliché phrases out there, but in this case it accurately describes what I feel when being expose to that content.

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

The zdoom forums seem like a terrible place filled with terrible people

Seriously posting on doomworld I've got nothing but nice ppl

Everyone is zdoom seems crappy to talk to. Smug arrogant horrible posters

No they're not, I think you're saying this mostly because some of the admins told you to stop shitposting in topics where it wasn't welcome, thus contributing with nothing to the conversation. I've seen a few such posts from you there, and this post would also be one.

Their forum moderation is also stricter than that of DW, which is great honestly, as heated topics or those with the potential to descend into madness are nuked before "they run their course", for instance.

2 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

And I empathize with you. Hate my current colleagues so much. One of them is literally a petulant child who yelled at me once for not paying attention to an easily missed detail in the verbal diarrhea our boss loves to take instead of succinctly making their point right in front of said boss and then things went on for them like nothing happened.

Also some people love to be bubbly as long as at benefits them. Soon as it doesn't they'll start to treat you like shit.

Finally, fuck the concept of stupid questions. Unless I ask you what is 2+2 or how many dead people are affected by death, it's just an excuse to be cruel and lambast someone and take out your frustrations on them or otherwise dismiss what may very well be a perfectly valid question. I just don't understand why people are unable to set aside their preconceived notions and biases.

Because obviously, the person asking the question should be at least as smart as the person listening, otherwise they're "dumbasses who don't know anything" by default.

It's just easier to make others look like idiots because you know something they don't instead of taking your time with them, makes you feel superior and masks your own insecurities.

14 minutes ago, seed said:

No they're not, I think you're saying this mostly because some of the admins told you to stop shitposting in topics where it wasn't welcome, thus contributing with nothing to the conversation. I've seen a few such posts from you there, and this post would also be one.

Their forum moderation is also stricter than that of DW, which is great honestly, as heated topics or those with the potential to descend into madness are nuked before "they run their course".

Exactly. I too actually prefer the stricter forum moderation policy of ZDoom forum over that of Doomworld. No bullshit drama or crap lasting for dozens of pages.

2 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Just going with the flow of the topic, it wasn't meant for you specifically, you don't need to get defensive.

Defensive was the word I was looking for

Zdoom forumers are like this

That's why I like doomworld you can have a laid back conversation. ( Most of the time )

Theres the Wolf3d Haven Forum which I frequent a lot, some Roblox revivals's forums, I also moderate the forums of a WIP online card game one of my friends is making.

I lurk on a forum called Knockout, which is supposedly the successor to Facepunch after Garry, the site's owner shut it down due to lack of interest. It's kinda shitty, but I can't stop myself from coming back to lurk and make myself depressed.

I've used to be very active on the D2jsp.org forums back when I was a teenager because I was a Diablo 2 addict and played it for many years. Went there to mainly trade stuff and also met a couple of dudes since I was in a guild of people from my province in Canada. Didn't spoke to any of them since years and everyone isn't playing anymore, including myself obviously. I still lurk it from time to time but don't bother posting anywhere anymore.

I was also quite active on the Battle.net forums in some Blizzard games but I've seen no point anymore in posting much since everyone seems dumb or braindead on there.

I've been quite active in the Zdoom forums for a few years as well, back in the 2010s. I had fun modding in Doom and learnt some stuff in there, people were quite nice and helpful actually. However, I eventually stopped modding and deserted the forums. That was pretty sad since I was enjoying it and had multiples ideas, but i'm so lazy that I've lost the will even though i'm still interested in it.

In the mean time that I was on Zdoom forums, I joined Doomworld but didn't post much until late 2016 or early 2017. Since then, this is the only forums that I actually post at all as I don't visit reddit that much. I also just started using Discord but i'm not really familiar with it.

I am also active on the Metal-Archives, doing reviews from time to time of albums that I enjoy (same username).

Edited by DesecratorJ

The only forums i visit are here at DW. I do have an account at the ZDoom forums but i rarely log in (same name as here). Maybe when i feel like playing around with some mods i'll log in and check some stuff out (that's when i usually log in, so not very often).

16 minutes ago, seed said:

I'd be interested to read some of your reviews tbh.

there's a search for user profile in the site, and inside DesecratorJ's profile you can read his reviews. (I do have a MA account but I haven't done anything with it ever, nor do I read the forums there. But I do use the site very frequently) 

1 hour ago, seed said:

I'd be interested to read some of your reviews tbh.

As you wish. I didn't expand much my range of metal style regarding reviewing bands yet though. I'll probably get around bm/dm albums at some point, I hope. Considering the rate I am doing them, it would take even more than my lifetime to review everything I like lol.

1 hour ago, kalaeth said:

there's a search for user profile in the site, and inside DesecratorJ's profile you can read his reviews. (I do have a MA account but I haven't done anything with it ever, nor do I read the forums there. But I do use the site very frequently) 

Same here, I pretty much have a MA tab opened in my browser all the time because I always end up checking up something. Been using that since the last 10 years or so, but my English at the time was too poor to write reviews. I started only in 2017 and my first couple of reviews that year kind of suck as I look back. Well, like I always said, never ending learning process, when it comes to practice a second language.

1 minute ago, DesecratorJ said:

Same here, I pretty much have a MA tab opened in my browser all the time because I always end up checking up something. Been using that since the last 10 years or so, but my English at the time was too poor to write reviews. I started only in 2017 and my first couple of reviews that year kind of suck as I look back. Well, like I always said, never ending learning process, when it comes to practice a second language.

well, you reviewed my favorite Manowar album (when I finally got to see them live I was really happy that they had the old merch for sale as well and ended up buying the Sign of the Hammer t-shirt), so that's a good start :D 

Also, I have no idea why I though you were brazilian, but apparently not at all :D

12 minutes ago, kalaeth said:

well, you reviewed my favorite Manowar album (when I finally got to see them live I was really happy that they had the old merch for sale as well and ended up buying the Sign of the Hammer t-shirt), so that's a good start :D 

Also, I have no idea why I though you were brazilian, but apparently not at all :D

Interesting, your the first one i've seen that put sign of the hammer as its favorite Manowar record. Back when I did this specific review I was completely addicted to this album, listening to it non-stop, until I expanded further through Into Glory Ride and Hail to England. In the end, all the 80s material is killer to me, cannot really tell a favorite one at this point, but yeah, this latter one has a very unique sound compared to everything else they did, awesome stuff.

Forgot to mention, I also have a Last.fm account, but i'm not active community wise, its only purpose for me is to track my music listening history mainly because I like statistics hehe.

I.... honestly don't frequent any other forums.  Very rarely I'll post on the ZDoom forums if I have a specific question or need to report something, but otherwise I just stay here.

It's not that I haven't tried being active in others, mind you, I just never maintain interest and always end up leaving.  I honestly think some of Doomworld's quirks are so ingrained in me that other forums feel... "alien".

19 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Everything I got on FB was daily "inspirational" quotes (you know the sort) from people who were basically leeches that never did an honest day's work in their lives, idiots pushing extreme political propaganda from clickbait sites and pseudointellectual morons sharing EVERY SINGLE FUCKING POST from garbage like "I fucking love science". One day I simply snapped and pulverized everything related to my account.

Nearly everything I see related to twitter makes me want to enforce a global law that will regulate Internet access and prevent people from using it until they've proven they don't have the mental capacity of a wet turd. "Losing faith in humanity" is probably one of the most cliché phrases out there, but in this case it accurately describes what I feel when being expose to that content.

I feel that's pretty much all of social media and a lot of recreational sites on the internet. It's really annoying and telling though when it's on FB because you are acquainted with those people.

18 hours ago, seed said:

Their forum moderation is also stricter than that of DW, which is great honestly, as heated topics or those with the potential to descend into madness are nuked before "they run their course", for instance.

Because obviously, the person asking the question should be at least as smart as the person listening, otherwise they're "dumbasses who don't know anything" by default.

It's just easier to make others look like idiots because you know something they don't instead of taking your time with them, makes you feel superior and masks your own insecurities.

Cue, "Just do some research, bro" or some other such nonsense cliche response.

This is the only forum on which I'm an active participant. This has been the case for at least 10 years, and that's mainly because I have skin in the game here. DW is a creative community that is constantly producing fun content, and I am a mapper myself. I like the way things work here. I also like viewing and participating in livestreams. It's just cool.

I still lurk and read at Amigaworld because I'm a die-hard zealot and, with luck, I'll buy a new Amiga next year. AW keeps me up to date on new Amiga hardware and apps. The only other forum I used to read was a Great Lakes Surfing board once maintained by Third Coast Surf Shop out of New Buffalo, Michigan. That forum was awesome because you had people posting pics and videos of themselves surfing on all of the Great Lakes, though the Lake Michigan and Lake Superior forums were the most active. One of my favorite videos was of guys surfing 13-foot waves off of Grand Haven, Michigan. It was crazy perfect because they had offshore winds and the storm that generated the waves had already passed, so the conditions were clean and glassy -- a rarity as opposed to the stormy soup lake surfers usually have to deal with. Alas, the forums succumbed to Facebook, which was a disaster for lurkers like me who didn't want to Friend everyone just to keep up with news.

I was big on Facebook and Twitter for awhile, which had a negative impact on my DW activity, but I have turned against them. I would have deleted my Twitter account except I lost my password and I no longer have the email addy it was attached to, so it's now a zombie account. I created a new Twitter account where I only follow the journalists I want to read, and keep my mouth shut. As for FB, my activity has dropped by 95%. I have a Discord, but it seems very much like FB in a sense, so I avoid activity there, though I may use it at some point. All of this means that DW is basically The Big Kahuna for me as far as internet society goes, and even here, I stick mostly to Wads & Mods and don't hang in Everything Else. I guess this forum is different now than in the past, when there was a lot of political discussion and it was a good place to catch a Ban Hammer. I stayed away because it was too tempting. ;D 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:41 PM, Clippy said:

(text)

Spoiler

It sounds like one of those awful echo chambers where touchy people latch onto you for disagreeing, wrongthink or making the tiniest mistakes, I guess I'm not missing out on too much not visiting it, I also like how the only thing conveniently kept of the convo is a post praising dw lol, but let's not get sidetracked again.

Not much else beyond a few subreddits and discord servers, I used to also visit twhl and mapcore a couple years ago but even those have largely moved their activity over to discord, the sites are still up but they're not as active as they used to be.

Edited by sluggard

I like to lurk the sonic retro forums, there are a lot of cool projects on there and is one of the only sonic communities that is not an insuferable hellhole, if you like the classic sonic games like i do i think is worth visiting.

Aside from that i like to fuck around on some subreddits and i follow some guys on twitter, and thats about it.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:15 PM, DesecratorJ said:

I've used to be very active on the D2jsp.org forums back when I was a teenager

same here man.  I made an underground hiphop thread in d2jsp "favorite songs and band chatter" section back in 2008. Last post in it was 3 days ago. It has 1058 pages LOL

I used to love forums back in the 2000-2010 era. Social media (facebook, reddit, twitter) killed most of them.

In my middle school and highschool years, I programmed for one of the big three vendors of forum software. It was an incredible era. I remember being able to find all sorts of cool communities back in the day. Then social media arrived.

As of today, in 2021, this is the only 'dedicated' forum I frequent. A few forums from that prior era in internet history still exist, but they have really slowed down in posts and activity. 

Reddit seems to be where MOST people end up on the internet that are > 25 years of age... it's a one stop shop. Next up is twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. Not the dedicated forum sites of 10-20 years ago.

I used to visit the Highscore.com forums - that was until the site was hacked, and thousands of troll high scores poured in...

Now I just stick exclusively w/ Doomworld - I don't have any other accounts anywhere.

GBAtemp.net - Cool site for gaming discussions as well as homebrew/console hacking.

I also sometimes use Reddit, but I've somewhat ditched it for both Doomworld and GBAtemp.

I've been extremely active on Drawception and its forums recently (and just realized, my Halloween pfp there is Doom themed!)  Much like Doomworld itself, I tend to leave and then come back after several years

I've also become relatively active on the old Public Commander Keen Forum--I say relatively because the place now sees like two posts per day on a good day, so these days it doesn't take much to be a staple there.

I like that there's a little drama here...

...the only other "forum" I currently use is StockTwits. Yes, twitter for the stock market. Total sausagefest shitshow. Literally gifs upon gifs of bouncing boobies. People screaming at each other. People still saying "your mom" insults (it was a thing 20 years ago, and it still made you sound like a blockhead back then). Probably less than 1 percent actual useful conversation. I wouldn't recommend it.