Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
random_soldier1337

What other forums do you frequent whose theme is different than Doomworld's?

Feels impossible to find decently sized forum communities these days that aren't either reactionary shitshows, overly insular that clearly just revolve over an in-group/out-group dynamic, or any combination of the above.

Reddit seems to have completely supplanted the role forums used to fill, but the sad part about reddit is that it has largely killed any meaningful discussions as most threads are just completely inane topics, low effort memes or karma fishing. It does a very, very poor job of encouraging long form back and forth discussions of topics the way forums do.

A lot of forums that exist from the 2000-2010 period seemed large at the time... but, when I look, there's only 5-10k users....

Reddit has millions and millions of people.

I don’t have an account in any so-called "social" media (Facebook, Twitter and so on), I never had.

I used to talk in newsgroups before it was spammed by trolls.

I have an account in a handful of forums: about video games, mathematics, computer science, music, scepticism, linux…

Edited by ducon

I don't use any other forums except Doomworld. I used to use several forums back around year 2000, but not anymore. It looks like I've replaced forums with a combination of 4chan, twitter, and discord. Out of the three, 4chan is the closest to a forum-like environment where I will bother engaging in long form discussion. Twitter is mostly read-only, I don't spend much time trying to talk to people there. Discord is only for private discussion between friends; I don't like large community discords because there is too much spamming content.

2 hours ago, lazygecko said:

It does a very, very poor job of encouraging long form back and forth discussions of topics the way forums do.

I think reddit's issue is the up vote system that sorts a post's replies by votes instead of chronological order, combined with the nested / branching reply system. Reddit's system is useful for Q&A where the best answer to the question gets voted to the top, but for detailed discussion I have a headache trying to follow along.

5 hours ago, princetontiger said:

A lot of forums that exist from the 2000-2010 period seemed large at the time... but, when I look, there's only 5-10k users....

Reddit has millions and millions of people.

Reddit has millions and millions of accounts, because one person can have multiple accounts I imagine that the amount of real people is a bit lower.

And the vast majority of users there lurk and don't post. Compared to your average specialized forum with a long term user base that's naturally engaged, it's probably better for discussion the more obscure the topic gets. 

Reddit sucks. The karma system ruins the boards and makes everyone act the exact same in their endeavor to score points. You will find good discussion on some really small boards - small enough that the karma doesn’t matter - but that’s about it

I used to only post here, now I'm semi active on Instagram and out there, somewhere, there is an active Twitter account I post a little side project on.

I will not link it, you can find it if you know what you're looking for, if you do find it I will not confirm or deny it's existence.

Also I'm told by like, 2 or 3 people I should post on YouTube more, probably.

I've made accounts on Heroscapers, Comicvine, Newgrounds forums, Space battles, Beretta forum, Zdoom, and a few others I can't immediately remember.

Don't use them much though