Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Your favorite fictional firearm?

1 hour ago, Impie said:

surprised nobody mentioned the EM Gun yet.

I was about to, but you were faster. That's precisely the first thing that came to mind, especially when you consider how much it inspired computer game weaponry.

1809643-4.png

Doom did a lot of things better, but not the rapid-firing bullet hog. The Chaingun Cannon (Don't call it Ripper or I'll rip your face off) is easily the most satisfying pepper sprayer out there.

timothee-yeramian-nailgun-ingame.jpg?155

The Quake 1 Nailgun. Everything from the throaty firing sound, to the ammo being literal Nine Inch Nails to the "prongs" shifting back and forth with each trigger pull, to the bizarre mix of futuristic and medieval design. 

7 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

The single most satisfying shotgun I've ever experienced in an FPS. Nothing compares to this absolute beast of a weapon from its power to its sound design. Simply the best.

If we're going with FEAR it has to be the Perforator or the automatic shotgun you get late in the office complex. That was one of my favorite levels because the latter shreds everything and everyone in slo-mo.

not sure if it's the "retiring" gun, that small little cannon:

image.png.dafd22bf471a3e02698b2ed6d1f1e633.png

or the vampire killing beast of a weapon :

image.png.1eaae8db1bdac2d2390fb559d88f7b1c.png

or even

image.png.2b239aecc0d7055d8211e92edd9a77b4.png

(yes, I like big pistols  and I can not lie / You other brothers can't deny)

4 hours ago, Impie said:

surprised nobody mentioned the EM Gun yet.

So THAT's where Tiberian Sun got it's idea of a railgun from?

@FractalBeast It seems to have also directly inspired the Guass Cannon in MechWarrior (4, at least... Presumably others)

As for mine... There's a lot of cool weapons in games that do increasingly implausible things, and the more I think about it the harder it is to decide. I think, for sheer versatility and satisfaction of use, I'll have to agree with @Solmyr that Flak Cannon just does what it does so well, although I think I liked it even more in the original Unreal, where even Titans weren't much of an obstacle if you had it to hand.

BFG-10K from Quake 3.

I mean what's there to dislike about a rapid-fire cannon that shoots energy bolts capable of utterly decimating anyone unfortunate enough to walk into its line of fire?

Game wise, besides Blood's Shotgun, SW's Missile Launcher, and Quake's Lightning Gun, it would be:

410_screenshots_2015-12-26_00002.jpg

The GEP gun.

Or the multipurpose rifle from Dan Simmon's Hyperion cantos. It's just absurd in how many functions it has -- all of which are purely for death and destruction, but it ranges from a short-range "clean" assassination tool that fries someone's brain instantly without external traces to electron beams that can cut through any thickness of armor plating, from lasers powerful enough to melt large areas into lava to pulse rounds for when you need to snipe a target a thousand kilometers away. It's completely bonkers.

Also this:

15 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

So THAT's where Tiberian Sun got it's idea of a railgun from?

that's where every video game ever got the idea for their railgun.

18 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

1809643-4.png

Doom did a lot of things better, but not the rapid-firing bullet hog. The Chaingun Cannon (Don't call it Ripper or I'll rip your face off) is easily the most satisfying pepper sprayer out there.

True, but I wish it didn't have such a stupid firing sound

This. My own attempt, not very good, but I just loved that weapon as a kid; in the TV version, see Logan blast a hole in a tunnel wall with it! A weapon that Doom really should have :(

Screenshot from 2020-06-26 19-28-44.png