Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

Most obscure Doom fact you know

I mean it protects against radiation, not fire. Why would it be able to protect against flames? Doom games don't make sense all the time but that's just kinda dumb.

Lines with the "Always visible on Automap" flag set are invisible if they're 2-sided and the bounding sector has the same floor and ceiling height.

Not the most obscure fact, but my favorite: Doom was based on Dungeons and Dragons, and has several RPG-like elements as a result. Elements that were just notable enough to not be totally lost in translation. When a monster takes damage, it's a random roll of how much damage it will do- same with player damage, same with the mechanics of armor, etc. In a lot of ways, you might say Doom is like an inventory RPG- instead of leveling up, you get better weapons, you get armor, you get a backpack, you get a chainsaw instead of fists, you get a chaingun instead of a pistol, and your ability to survive is permanently multiplied until death. When you die, it's back to level 1 - a pistol and 50 bullets, no backpack, no extra items.

Now you tell me, isn't that like a barebones RPG about shooting demons and exploring? I think yes. Most people think it's all about "I shot something with a shotgun!", but it's deeper than that. This game is no Call of Duty. It's no Battlefield. It's Doom, and it's a relic that must be worshiped.

1 hour ago, N1ck said:

I mean it protects against radiation, not fire. Why would it be able to protect against flames? Doom games don't make sense all the time but that's just kinda dumb.

it can protect against lava, so I understand the confusion.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:16 AM, Juza said:

Found this image a while ago. Think it's relevant.

1968541230_doomiceberg.jpg.afd2a71320df63a9fb8cdde24a3031f9.jpg

"The Commander Keen apparition"

God mode doesn't protect against attacks that deal more than 1000 hit points of damage.

Reference from the Doom Wiki:

According to the function P_DamageMobj in p_inter.c, "invulnerability" only protects the player from attacks doing less than 1000 points of damage. There is no form of attack in the game that does more damage than this number, except one: a telefrag, which inflicts 10000 points on the target. This is why a player in God mode can still be killed by telefragging. This also means that DeHackEd can be used to circumvent god mode by creating incredibly powerful weapons; some examples of this effect can be found in The Sky May Be.

Another one is that the Radiation Shielding Suit does not always protect against the most damaging floor type (20% damage); there is a small chance the damage will pass through:

For the 20% damaging floor types, there is a small chance (6/256 ≈ 2.3%) every 32 tics ( ≈ 0.91 seconds) that the hazard will penetrate the protective suit and inflict damage as normal.

Most of the skies in Doom come from a CD full of stock photos:

Also, The whole “Mussolini in Doom” sprite theory is highly controversial:

It’s more likely to be based on posed photos of GI Joes, the only evidence being in Multigen.txt.

Finally, I sincerely doubt that someone as rich and influential as Trent circa 1994 had that hard of a time finding a somewhat portable computer or even a 66mhz laptop with 8 gig of ram. Powerful at the time yes, but unthinkable or inaccessible to someone world famous? No way.

The chaingunner's smile when he shoots. Makes me so happy!

This thread makes me realize that I don't play Doom long enough (even though I thought otherwise)

15 minutes ago, Dubium said:

This thread makes me realize that I don't play Doom long enough (even though I thought otherwise)

Go to that "guess the map" thread and it will make you realize that you are like only played doom for a month or two.

The Arch Vile resembles the Lucas Arts logo.

vile_arts.png

Doom 3DO was meant to have these FMV cutscenes. I think the only surviving media are pictures of some scuffed demon costume.

On 3/21/2022 at 3:20 PM, DevilMyEyes said:

It seems like fireblu comes from Franz von Stuck's Inferno, a painting from 1908..

descarga.jpeg

Just a coincidence, actually FIREBLU comes from the same texture used in ZIMMER8 and an overlay of SP_ROCK1 with it.

Timestamped decino video speaking of it

Spoiler

Huh, forgot about this thread.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:20 PM, DevilMyEyes said:

descarga.jpeg

This would probably make for cool painting texture if it was paletted and resized.

In several versions of Doom II, there are some graphics that were hold-overs from Doom. This includes the episode selection text in the main menu. Also, there are unused sprites for ejected shotgun shells.

4 hours ago, Spineapple tea said:

Huh, forgot about this thread.

This would probably make for cool painting texture if it was paletted and resized.

I'd like to do that just to see what it would look like. I bet it would be really cool!

47 minutes ago, Sign_of_Evil said:

I'd like to do that just to see what it would look like. I bet it would be really cool!

image.png.d5d348cdf5f67dd7cfa3e9e583fd1cc8.png

descarga.png.3927bb94f444d4a0838fec1465aa2e0a.png

Looks pretty dope in game.

Not too obscure, but I found this one out on my own is that the Cacodemon sprite is based extremely directly on a Astral Dreadnaught (also the title of plutonia 2's map 10) from dungeons and dragons. In fact it is based directly on the one from the cover of ad&ds manual of planes. Friend of mine has this and I saw it and it shook me to the core cause goddamn the resemblance is uncanny. Just look at it. I have zero doubts the caco sprite is shopped from this.

AD&D_Manual_of_the_Planes.jpg

I know tonnes of obscure doom trivia, for example

According to TV tropes, Doomguy is canonically a virgin. making him the first Asexual protagonist in an FPS, to my knowledge at least.

In the beta of Doom, ID software added a few vulgar quit messages for some reason. They removed them for the final game thankfully.

Since Bobby prince was a lawyer, he knew exactly how much of a song he could copy without getting into legal trouble. This is why so many song in Doom's ost sound similar to heavy metal song's from the time.

I thought the DoomWiki had something with some of the more obscure details of the sound code.  Didn't find what I had in mind when I did a cursory search recently though.  Once the fire button has been pressed in a sector, it (and any adjacent sector the sound reaches) will be tagged as alerted for the rest of the map. Which can lead to weirdness like a deaf monster that the player didn't alert directly finishing an infight in a sector that has been flagged alerted earlier and immediately pursuing the player even if it never had line of sight.  Assuming I'm understanding the sound code right; could be mistaken about this particular set of conditions.

Monster somehow knows your exact location because of punching air there long ago when the initial use of the fire button didn't draw its attention.  There's more weirdness to explore but my knowledge of the topic is shaky.

Edited by Crusader No Regret