Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Strife Commando

Mods That Make Doom 3 More Like Classic Doom?

Posted (edited)

So Doom 3 to me, is not Doom. Are there mods that make it like the original entries? Non-linear maps, fast paced gameplay, effective weapons with no reloading, secrets, and no fall damage. Center view weapons as a bonus. :)

Posted (edited)

What you're asking for is basically a TC, and afaik the answer is "no", there aren't any. There may be something out there that allow centering weapons, maybe.

Classic Doom 3 is one mod that may interests you though, prolly as close as you can get to classic Doom in Doom 3.

11 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

So Doom 3 to me, is not Doom

Not this shit again please, we REALLY don't need another potential drama on the subject of "what makes Doom Doom and what doesn't".

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, seed said:

What you're asking for is basically a TC, and afaik the answer is "no", there aren't any. There may be something out there that allow centering weapons, maybe.

Classic Doom 3 is one mod that may interests you though, prolly as close as you can get to classic Doom in Doom 3.

Not this shit again please, we REALLY don't need another potential drama on the subject of "what makes Doom Doom and what doesn't".

That was to not start drama. I just gave my opinion, and wish to make Doom 3 more like the originals. Hence the topic at hand.

First, I don‘t really understand why you want to play Doom 3 mods when you don‘t like the core gameplay of Doom 3.

Second, if you want non-linear levels, there are some good ones. Urukhai or the maps in Hell in Time come to mind.

If you want classic Doom gameplay recreated, try Classic Doom 3 and Doom Reborn. Though I can‘t really recommend them. Classic D3 is a mixed bag, it has some good level remakes, but also some really bad amateurish stuff.

Doom Reborn is unfinished and also tries too hard to slavishly recreate every detail from original Doom. 

If you just want some more action-focussed gameplay in Doom 3, try Fragging Free, Tested or Team Future‘ s Phobos.

5 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

First, I don‘t really understand why you want to play Doom 3 mods when you don‘t like the core gameplay of Doom 3.

Second, if you want non-linear levels, there are some good ones. Urukhai or the maps in Hell in Time come to mind.

If you want classic Doom gameplay recreated, try Classic Doom 3 and Doom Reborn. Though I can‘t really recommend them. Classic D3 is a mixed bag, it has some good level remakes, but also some really bad amateurish stuff.

Doom Reborn is unfinished and also tries too hard to slavishly recreate every detail from original Doom. 

If you just want some more action-focussed gameplay in Doom 3, try Fragging Free, Tested or Team Future‘ s Phobos.

I didn't say Doom 3's gameplay was bad. Just said the game isn't Doom.

Neat. :)

There are plenty of SP maps that are not linear, I think some mods are there too. Tested/In Hell/Teh Base . You might up the speed of the player so you can move faster than default Doom 3. They are what you are looking for.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, starfruit said:

get the bfg edition

Are you serious?

On 6/26/2020 at 11:35 PM, Tetzlaff said:

Before 2 months Pre Beta Version 1.65 released, It wasn't that bad.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HitBoi64 said:

Before 2 months Pre Beta Version 1.65 released, It wasn't that bad.

Thanks for the info! Downloading now.

Edit: Tried the latest version of Doom Reborn. Still can't recommend it. They don't make good use of the Doom 3 engines' features. The levels are straight conversions of the original levels with the same simplistic/abstract architecture. To make it look more modern, they slapped converted high-res textures from other Doom HQ projects on the walls, but those textures don't use proper diffuse/normal/specular maps, so they look flat. Lightning is way too garish.

12 hours ago, starfruit said:

get the bfg edition

Why? It has none of the things Strife Commando was looking for.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Posted (edited)

Stock BFG edition. Ignore the storage lockers or use a cheat site to get codes if you have to. You can kills NPCs if you want.

4 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

@The Strife Commando: Fragging Free also allows you to play through the RoE campaign with their new additions and fast-paced gameplay. https://www.moddb.com/mods/fragging-free

Now that's what I'm talking about! Sadly it's only made for Resurrection of Evil and that requires Doom 3 to play. I'll definitely get both games to play the mod though.

Edited by The Strife Commando

16 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

I was under the impression that you already own Doom 3.

Oh, not yet. From what I've seen though, it is odd. By the way, do you consider Fragging-Free the real way to play Doom 3? Just wondering.

For BFG & (2019) you can use DOOM BFA which gives you the options to disable the crosshair and set the weapons in centered view

On 8/1/2020 at 6:08 PM, The Strife Commando said:

By the way, do you consider Fragging-Free the real way to play Doom 3? Just wondering.

No. The real way to play Doom 3 is to use the 2004 version with the latest patches, tweaks and maybe some subtle improvements. With quality surround headphones in a dimly lit room with enough time on your hand.

Edited by Tetzlaff