Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Strife Commando

Mods That Make Doom 3 More Like Classic Doom?

Recommended Posts

So Doom 3 to me, is not Doom. Are there mods that make it like the original entries? Non-linear maps, fast paced gameplay, effective weapons with no reloading, secrets, and no fall damage. Center view weapons as a bonus. :)

Share this post


Link to post

What you're asking for is basically a TC, and afaik the answer is "no", there aren't any. There may be something out there that allow centering weapons, maybe.

 

Classic Doom 3 is one mod that may interests you though, prolly as close as you can get to classic Doom in Doom 3.

 

11 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

So Doom 3 to me, is not Doom

 

Not this shit again please, we REALLY don't need another potential drama on the subject of "what makes Doom Doom and what doesn't".

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, seed said:

What you're asking for is basically a TC, and afaik the answer is "no", there aren't any. There may be something out there that allow centering weapons, maybe.

 

Classic Doom 3 is one mod that may interests you though, prolly as close as you can get to classic Doom in Doom 3.

 

 

Not this shit again please, we REALLY don't need another potential drama on the subject of "what makes Doom Doom and what doesn't".

That was to not start drama. I just gave my opinion, and wish to make Doom 3 more like the originals. Hence the topic at hand.

Share this post


Link to post

First, I don‘t really understand why you want to play Doom 3 mods when you don‘t like the core gameplay of Doom 3.

 

Second, if you want non-linear levels, there are some good ones. Urukhai or the maps in Hell in Time come to mind.

 

If you want classic Doom gameplay recreated, try Classic Doom 3 and Doom Reborn. Though I can‘t really recommend them. Classic D3 is a mixed bag, it has some good level remakes, but also some really bad amateurish stuff.

Doom Reborn is unfinished and also tries too hard to slavishly recreate every detail from original Doom. 
 

If you just want some more action-focussed gameplay in Doom 3, try Fragging Free, Tested or Team Future‘ s Phobos.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

First, I don‘t really understand why you want to play Doom 3 mods when you don‘t like the core gameplay of Doom 3.

 

Second, if you want non-linear levels, there are some good ones. Urukhai or the maps in Hell in Time come to mind.

 

If you want classic Doom gameplay recreated, try Classic Doom 3 and Doom Reborn. Though I can‘t really recommend them. Classic D3 is a mixed bag, it has some good level remakes, but also some really bad amateurish stuff.

Doom Reborn is unfinished and also tries too hard to slavishly recreate every detail from original Doom. 
 

If you just want some more action-focussed gameplay in Doom 3, try Fragging Free, Tested or Team Future‘ s Phobos.

I didn't say Doom 3's gameplay was bad. Just said the game isn't Doom.

 

Neat. :)

Share this post


Link to post

There are plenty of SP maps that are not linear, I think some mods are there too. Tested/In Hell/Teh Base . You might up the speed of the player so you can move faster than default Doom 3. They are what you are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, starfruit said:

get the bfg edition

Are you serious?

On 6/26/2020 at 11:35 PM, Tetzlaff said:

Doom Reborn is unfinished and also tries too hard to slavishly recreate every detail from original Doom. 

Before 2 months Pre Beta Version 1.65 released, It wasn't that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, HitBoi64 said:

Before 2 months Pre Beta Version 1.65 released, It wasn't that bad.

 

Thanks for the info! Downloading now.

 

Edit: Tried the latest version of Doom Reborn. Still can't recommend it. They don't make good use of the Doom 3 engines' features. The levels are straight conversions of the original levels with the same simplistic/abstract architecture. To make it look more modern, they slapped converted high-res textures from other Doom HQ projects on the walls, but those textures don't use proper diffuse/normal/specular maps, so they look flat. Lightning is way too garish.

 

12 hours ago, starfruit said:

get the bfg edition

 

Why? It has none of the things Strife Commando was looking for.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Share this post


Link to post

Stock BFG edition. Ignore the storage lockers or use a cheat site to get codes if you have to. You can kills NPCs if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

@The Strife Commando: Fragging Free also allows you to play through the RoE campaign with their new additions and fast-paced gameplay. https://www.moddb.com/mods/fragging-free

Now that's what I'm talking about! Sadly it's only made for Resurrection of Evil and that requires Doom 3 to play. I'll definitely get both games to play the mod though.

Edited by The Strife Commando

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

I was under the impression that you already own Doom 3.

Oh, not yet. From what I've seen though, it is odd. By the way, do you consider Fragging-Free the real way to play Doom 3? Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post

For BFG & (2019) you can use DOOM BFA which gives you the options to disable the crosshair and set the weapons in centered view

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/1/2020 at 6:08 PM, The Strife Commando said:

By the way, do you consider Fragging-Free the real way to play Doom 3? Just wondering.

 

No. The real way to play Doom 3 is to use the 2004 version with the latest patches, tweaks and maybe some subtle improvements. With quality surround headphones in a dimly lit room with enough time on your hand.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Share this post


Link to post

BFG edition is an downgrade the only thing you really need is an flashlight mod like this http://neherson.narod.ru/

The mod itself is pretty standard while giving you the option to toggle the light on & off while using any gun(just like in half life 1) Without robbing anything from the original. (You still need to assign the key in options/other headlight)

I tried the praised ducktape mod but my biggest issue was that it didnt light at the center which is annoying and just robbed the fun.

Now for the gameplay itself just open console and type the following:

pm_walkspeed 280

pm_runspeed 450

pm_jumpheight 80

and voila the gameplay experience is now similar to the first two games.

Cant help you if you own the BFG version cause for me BFG is garbage.

Flashlight is off center, Zoom removed, Console access removed, Original games altered, Stupid Auto saves (why having the option to quicksave manually when the game can do it for you, wasting everyones time) Unskippable cutscenes (Because everyone loves listening to Sergeant Kelly for the 100th time) Only good thing was the nrftl wad.

 

Added the Flashlight mod into Attachements just extract it and put the "yafm folder" into doom3 directory where doom3.exe is (note folder!!! not just the pk4 file)

 

yafm-hl.v0.907.zip

Edited by Doomdude89

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, The Strife Commando said:

So Doom 3 to me, is not Doom. Are there mods that make it like the original entries? Non-linear maps, fast paced gameplay, effective weapons with no  secrets and Center view weapons as a bonus. :)

bro, have you played doom 1?! there are secrets in the game, also, just use classic doom 3

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly you're jumping into Doom 3 for the wrong reason, no amount of mods or console commands will ever make it play like the classic games. I LOVE Doom 3 and while I lament with others that it's not as fast paced and action packed as the previous games, I still consider it an excellent Doom game despite the more linear levels, lower enemy count and slower pace. Big guns, lots of demons, stuff to explore, tons of combat, etc - it's all still there albeit in a different capacity.

 

But if you want Doom 3 to be like the classics then chances are you'll have to crack open the level editor, modify every level in the game to be similar to the classics, change all the .def and .script files for enemies and weapons to more accurately represent their classic counterparts and that is just a monumental amount of work and involves a lot of trial and error with a steep learning curve. Mods like Hell in Time and Fragging Free are absolutely amazing at finding the balance between the classics and Doom 3 but they're still very much Doom 3 at their core and are by no means replacements for the vanilla game, maybe if there's another Fragging Free update where the modders make a Fragging Free version of the base campaign like they did with RoE then MAYBE but considering the idea was dropped something like 10 years ago, it's highly unlikely that will ever happen unless you make that happen on your own.

 

My advice is to play through the main vanilla game yourself, formulate your own opinion on the game and if you enjoyed it then perhaps give a bunch of custom maps and mods a bash afterward because there is some amazing stuff and a bunch of the talented folks who got into Doom mapping ended up landing jobs at id and other studios, some of them are that good. But if you don't like Doom 3 then it's just simply not made for you and that's okay, it's the black sheep for a good reason and what an incredibly dark fuzzy comfy black sheep it is.

 

EDIT: Just be sure to go for the vanilla version on PC, I'd strongly advise a physical copy as the Steam version has a bug where after launching and quitting, hours later it will apparently "launch" again despite there being no game in your tasks and the only way to deal with that is to restart your PC to launch the game again and the cycle continues.

 

Also stay FAR away from the BFG Edition, people who are recommending that have no clue what they're talking about - it's literal garbage that screws with the vanilla game, is buggy and has performance issues, has unskippable cutscenes, turns saving into an absolute chore, makes it painfully easy with reduced enemy damage and doubled ammo pickups, ruins the flashlight mechanic and the extra campaign you get has been ported to the vanilla game anyway so BFG Edition is a gigantic waste of time. Go with a physical vanilla release with all the proper updates and patches.

Edited by InfernalMonsoon

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, InfernalMonsoon said:

Honestly you're jumping into Doom 3 for the wrong reason, no amount of mods or console commands will ever make it play like the classic games. I LOVE Doom 3 and while I lament with others that it's not as fast paced and action packed as the previous games, I still consider it an excellent Doom game despite the more linear levels, lower enemy count and slower pace. Big guns, lots of demons, stuff to explore, tons of combat, etc - it's all still there albeit in a different capacity.

 

But if you want Doom 3 to be like the classics then chances are you'll have to crack open the level editor, modify every level in the game to be similar to the classics, change all the .def and .script files for enemies and weapons to more accurately represent their classic counterparts and that is just a monumental amount of work and involves a lot of trial and error with a steep learning curve. Mods like Hell in Time and Fragging Free are absolutely amazing at finding the balance between the classics and Doom 3 but they're still very much Doom 3 at their core and are by no means replacements for the vanilla game, maybe if there's another Fragging Free update where the modders make a Fragging Free version of the base campaign like they did with RoE then MAYBE but considering the idea was dropped something like 10 years ago, it's highly unlikely that will ever happen unless you make that happen on your own.

 

My advice is to play through the main vanilla game yourself, formulate your own opinion on the game and if you enjoyed it then perhaps give a bunch of custom maps and mods a bash afterward because there is some amazing stuff and a bunch of the talented folks who got into Doom mapping ended up landing jobs at id and other studios, some of them are that good. But if you don't like Doom 3 then it's just simply not made for you and that's okay, it's the black sheep for a good reason and what an incredibly dark fuzzy comfy black sheep it is.

 

EDIT: Just be sure to go for the vanilla version on PC, I'd strongly advise a physical copy as the Steam version has a bug where after launching and quitting, hours later it will apparently "launch" again despite there being no game in your tasks and the only way to deal with that is to restart your PC to launch the game again and the cycle continues.

 

Also stay FAR away from the BFG Edition, people who are recommending that have no clue what they're talking about - it's literal garbage that screws with the vanilla game, is buggy and has performance issues, has unskippable cutscenes, turns saving into an absolute chore, makes it painfully easy with reduced enemy damage and doubled ammo pickups, ruins the flashlight mechanic and the extra campaign you get has been ported to the vanilla game anyway so BFG Edition is a gigantic waste of time. Go with a physical vanilla release with all the proper updates and patches.

Wait, how has that bug not been fixed yet???

 

Well the flashlight change is ok, but extra ammo was unnecessary. There's already enough ammo in the game. Those that say there's not enough just waste them needlessly. It's said that a part of the expansion was cut in the BFG edition, which is stupid. A shame that the BFG edition is what gets ported to other systems today. Like, please port the original with the new flashlight while having the original flashlight as an option.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×