Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirber

does anyone else get SERIOUSLY annoyed by the city levels in Doom 2

I don't understand why they didn't use actual City Textures like roads or shop wall textures or made a few street sign decoration objects so that Cities could slightly resemble Cities rather than a bunch of cubes. 

On 6/26/2020 at 4:43 AM, Phobus said:

I've written recently that navigation is a very underrated skill in Doom. I think this is a perfect example of that being the case, as the OP clearly can't handle the simple exploration that a non-signposted layout requires, instead running about impatiently, frustrated that progression isn't handed to them.

I get that this isn't the 90s, and standards have changed, but Doom was just as revolutionary for it's open-ended environments (that weren't just blocky mazes) as it was for it's height variation, atmosphere and fast-paced action. If you're "in to Doom" and want to beat the IWADs and any of the major 90s map sets, you'll need to embrace that aspect of it, too.

Or, to put it in simple terms: The map doesn't suck, you just suck at the game.

it isn't my fault that a door with red banners beside it confused me and made me think i needed a red key, instead you can just walk up and open the door.
yeah that's confusing level design, and i had to spam every door i saw to figure it out. again, if there weren't red banners beside the door, maybe i wouldn't have been as confused.

46 minutes ago, Kirber said:

it isn't my fault that a door with red banners beside it confused me and made me think i needed a red key, instead you can just walk up and open the door.
yeah that's confusing level design, and i had to spam every door i saw to figure it out. again, if there weren't red banners beside the door, maybe i wouldn't have been as confused.

Oh my god. Fuck that door. I blocked out the memory of that garbage and now you had to bring it back

The hardest thing about the Doom 2 city maps is figuring out what could be the fastest route to speedrun/max considering they are all nonlinear maps in some way. If you're feeling exploratory, then have fun.

A lot of people seem to love to hate Factory and Downtown, but it's refreshing to see that some people here enjoy them too. Of course, it all comes down to a personal preference.

My point of view is that both of these levels are probably one of the best in Doom - gameplay- and level design-wise. But I didn't learn to appreciate them until fairly recently - as a kid I never cared a lot about levels past map10 for some reason.

But now I think that both of these nailed non-lineariality and replayability in Doom (without comparing to other games) to a T. The only flaw with Downtown is the lack of hitscan snipers and roamers. A cybie or two (or some hordes) spawning into the main square at different points of the level progression would make the level perfect.

I use to hate all the maps untill I memorized them all except the secret 31&32 as i dont visit them at all. In the end.... it's just that old feeling of being lost untill you get that muscle memory down and it does it byitself. 

i manly hate the city maps because well they never actually feel like city maps they more or less feel like filler maps made on a whim,and when i play them i just get tired of playing doom,so i just save and quit for a little bit until i have more energy to play them

On 6/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Kirber said:

im just asking if its a popular opinion that the city levels in doom 2 sucks

I agree with you. I am not a fan of the "city" levels. They are boring and very linear.

Am i the only one who hates *insert anything related to doom city levels*

Very original guys, cmon.

If i had a quarter for each thread about this i would be a rich man.

The city levels are some of  my favorite levels. I understand why some might not like them. I like how non-linear they are.