Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pełzająca Część Twarzy

What is your favorite Icon of Sin fight?

... and way?

My is The Gatewatcher for Plutonia 2
I'm ashamed to admit that but mostly because it just look cool. Redesign is great and still keep classic Doom art style and that little 3D effect add a lot of existing presentation, something more then just a wall.

We also get a little build up to that encounter with Gatewatcher marble texture, exactly like that one with Icon of Sin.

That textures was put there and there throughout latest maps..I remember the most the one in infamous map 11 "Arch-Violence". It might be its first appearance but i'm not sure.. The point is you can see a lot of icon of Sin image in this level but there is only one image of Gatewatcher, on this evil levitating cube. In the same room you can see also that image of Icon of Sin is just on a wall, way below the Gatewatcher's cube. Small things but somewhere in the subconscious they work

And fight itself was good too. I like that you have to fight with monsters and Cyberdemons, before you can try to shoot his weak spot.
It is more about getting through crazy mess to get clear shots, not fill momentum of the lift.

technically, you only fight one IOS, the rest are just his/her sibling's or something. but if I were to choose, it would be the one from the Master Levels Mephistos Mausoleum, because I took so much time restarting that level and doing so much to figure out what the hell to do, to end up learning that you have to shoot from the balcony. 

The one from speed of doom. Even though it is actually kind of easier than I found it the first time I fought it, it has some cool atmosphere and build up.

That music, the level name and 8 icons of sin hellishly chanting at the same time when you enter there were enough to intimidate me.

1 hour ago, Lokatzis 007 CJ said:

The one from speed of doom.

Darkness without End? Yeah, that's definitely one of the most memorable ones.

Of all the IWADs - I probably prefer the fight in Plutonia. The setting is just so much cooler than the slime pit in DOOM2, and the monsters that are already there at the start add a good challenge to the fight. First you have to get rid of the Cyberdemon. Do you tackle it head-on or shoot it from a safe spot? Do you try to clear some of the monsters or ignore them, etc.

The one from TNT is really weak as an Icon of Sin fight. It's a good long level, but the boss fight itself is underwhelming, since the timing element of hitting the brain is eliminated - you just shoot it from the step under the top.

Out of all the Icon of Sin fights I've been through, that's probably going to be the one from Plutonia. Has a better, more atmospheric setting, shorter lift ride, and better combat as well.

But as a concept IoS battles are something I am not fond of anymore, at all. I think it's a tried to death concept at this point. It is possible to do interesting things with IoSes (thinking of AA MAP18 here), but pure IoS battles just suck no matter what. I think this concept is just too old and has nothing new to offer. It was an interesting gimmick back in the '90s, but it has aged horribly.

"Depraved Feast" from Whitemare.

I found the setting quite amusing and original: a Romero head at the top of a fleshy xmas tree in a frozen open area, with stuck monsters used as decorations.

Plus the music sets the tone for a crazy epic fight, and sure it is a such one.

First you have to climb three mountains with cyberdemons/spiderdemon at the top in order to activate the rising of the final lift. The lift is itself heavily guarded.
At this point, the fight becomes extremely tricky because of autoaim, as once you are on the lift, you easily hit the numerous flying enemies instead of the head which is quite distant in addition.
I ended beating the level with no ammo at all and the area filled with monsters, and it was infighting lost souls who killed the head :0

Maybe I did it the hard way, but the fact that I beat the map in such desperate situation, and all the setting/music, make it the most memorable IOS fight for me.

1 hour ago, seed said:

But as a concept IoS battles are something I am not fond of anymore, at all. I think it's a tried to death concept at this point. It is possible to do interesting things with IoSes (thinking of AA MAP18 here), but pure IoS battles just suck no matter what. I think this concept is just too old and has nothing new to offer. It was an interesting gimmick back in the '90s, but it has aged horribly.

I understand what you mean but i dont complytly agree. Concept of "do something in a level before spawning monsters will overwhelm you" is simple enoth (like most doom mechanick) to make it in meany creative ways. Iluminaty Revealed form Anciet Aliens is a good example of that

I liked the twist on the idea from Doom 2 the way id Did, the goal was the same but there was an additional layer of abstraction, a mini-puzzle in achieving that end.

i really liked TNT: Revilution map30: Malignata. All the building up until the final area and then the holographic IOS fight was really good.

Another that i liked is the gates of sin at the end of Mars War. Really funny! it like the original but it has a good portion of map before it, and a cyber tramp that is neat.

I love to death Hell2Pay final map: Sky High. Its an IOS map but also not at all. Really good for certain.

Doom 404 has a really hard take for a IOS fight at map29. I really like it.

And lets not forget the best IOS fight ever made to this day. Kama Sutra map30: Píča. Hilarious, offensive, fun, and two routes for the faint of heart.

Doom Zero has magnificent use of the available resources for new effects. It could be a bit more challenging, but its really good as it is.

17 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

i really liked TNT: Revilution map30: Malignata. All the building up until the final area and then the holographic IOS fight was really good.

I never got to see Revilution's final boss, wonder how much of my planning stages got through in the end. I even had custom concept art and everything. Really put a lot of effort on the drawing board with Kyka and Megamur into doing something different.

1 hour ago, Pełzająca Część Twarzy said:

I understand what you mean but i dont complytly agree. Concept of "do something in a level before spawning monsters will overwhelm you" is simple enoth (like most doom mechanick) to make it in meany creative ways. Iluminaty Revealed form Anciet Aliens is a good example of that

Yes, that's what I was alluding to.

But not pure IoS battles a la IWADs.

I tried to make a challenging Icon of Sin fight in an outdoor arena as a grand finale fight in my latest map. I failed. It was crap.

3 hours ago, seed said:

pure IoS battles just suck no matter what

100% agreed. Maps with boss spawners can be interesting; maps with boss spawners where you have to shoot rockets into a brain texture, or at a Romero head in some other fashion, especially while riding a lift that doesn't quite line up with the place you're supposed to shoot, can all go to hell and are something I wouldn't miss if I never played another one.

41 minutes ago, plums said:

100% agreed. 

I don't 100% disagree, as I can see your point of view, and where you're coming from, but in my opinion, I feel like the IoS is needed, and can create interesting boss fights. I'm just going to use DOOM and DOOM 2 as examples as of now, but I'm sure there are other WADs that could work better here. Throughout the first game, you get similar boss fights. Escape the thing trying to shoot at you and at the perfect time, you attack it. But, at the end of DOOM 2, you are like, "Alright, bring it on! I've prepared for this battle, and it is going to be a piece of cake!" and when you get in, you are thinking that you'll fight something like a giant devil or something, and instead, there is this skull monstrocity! there is no way you could have prepared for this (unless you looked up what the final fight was or this is your second playthrough) and only precision make key, and the rest of the game, it is shoot those demon bastards, now it's use perfect timing to shoot the skull, while shooting those demon bastards and keeping a perfect ratio of IoS health to monsters on screen. Now there is challenge. a challenge you haven't faced before. The perfect challenge for a DOOM player! 

Posted (edited)

IoS maps are mostly not fun to play, so I've enjoyed the most the one I've created by myself. (Czechbox). :D

It was fun to create the most hated Doom MAP30 setup with swarms of the most hated Doom demons.

Edited by damned

57 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

The one in Congestion 1024 is pretty good, surprisingly difficult as well.

That one is also horrible to do single segment, because you need to do a whole stage before getting to the actuall fight and there are a lot of monsters already in the map when the battle starts, along with the ones that teleport. Let alone, there are actually two icons of sin and thus the arena gets flooded very quickly. Very limited amount of cells, too, and all that in an arena smaller than dead simple.

I hated it but, yeah, I am gonna remember it for a long time