Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

OMG DOOM WEBSITE DRAMA

http://www.doom-sector.com/

O dear. Well here at Doom-Sector and indeed at Annex Industries, we pride ourselves on working with the communities in which we make sites for. We believe that a single site no matter how popular gives the community itself a small scope in which to find exactly what it wants. Well sadly some other sites in the doom community don't seem to share that view. We do not think hogging visitors for our own purposes really works when you are trying to give a community a huge selection of entertainment for their games.

I won't name names here as that would only serve to fuel anger but we have recieved multiple responses from some higher ranking websites saying they will not post news from our site, or even post news about us. To me this seems a very childish approach and really doesn't show a caring community website at all. We understand hits are important to maintain sites but to take the monopoly from other emerging sites, even more so as the next installment in the series edges closer is purely childish and not in the best interest's of the visitors.

OMG, who could it be??? Is it Doomworld, despite my never having emailed any doom-sector.com people about anything? Is it Doomcenter?! Is it Newdoom!? THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW!

It was my "fault." The first time this guy sent an e-mail to Doom Center, I was going to update about DoomSector's launch. Then I noticed they stole my latest update about Chris Hansen's latest project, screenshot and all. 26 days and 6 e-mail nags later, and I still haven't posted about them. I don't really plan to, either. And for the record, I never sent them any e-mail.

I'm not going to be arsed to check for myself (that would give them a hit!), but did they actually post that bitching and whining as news on their front page...?

yes they did, i went there. It's an okay site, i like the layout. Bookmark? No, no.

The forums there appear broken, so meh.
Oh i like Bloodshedder's title. hehe i just joined DoomCenter the other day for some reason. Fucking wastelands over there.

And then some. There's a small third paragraph that really isn't anything special. There's also a silly poll. The question is:

Do you think websites should work together?

The options are:

would help to not have to search for news
co-operation equals strength
Why not, whats the point of fighting
Doesnt matter to me
They wont listen anyway
Why bother

Apparently, someone is whining and complaining over there.

So i would just like to say to those people visiting us on a regular basis to please keep coming back. If we have to do this alone then so be it, but we will remember who let us down, however we wont let this get in the way of making the community even more action packed in the future.

Hmm, considering the total number of comments with regards to their news headlines (0), they don't need to worry about anyone coming back to see an even less action packed future than Railgunner's website.

But, you know, they have worldly aspirations, and that's all that counts.

Edit: Heh, for a little fun, put this under Doomworld news. That would certainly piss these people off.

myk said:

I'm not going to be arsed to check for myself (that would give them a hit!), but did they actually post that bitching and whining as news on their front page...?

And remember children: If you don't give a shit, don't give a hit! :D

Oh, It's a Doom 3 website.

Now I see...

It is not because I have anything against Doom 3 websites at all. It is a good idea to "start early" and have a web site up and running when the game hits the shelves but some of these guys often have a rather feeble grasp on realities.

They expect a living community. They expect lots of hits and regular visitors. But how can they expect that when the game is not even released yet?

What do they have to offer for those countless visitors they are expecting?
News on the game development: Sure, but we don't need a legion of individual pages for those needs. A few major pages and forums can do that. There is only so many times you need to read the same facts over again.
Tech questions and gaming help: With only an illegaly leaked alpha out this is rather hard to do while still retaining a good standing with the biz.
Gaming tips and strategies: This is also redundant since nobody has actually played the finished product yet.
Multiplayer: No way!! I don't even think the alpha supports it fully. Well, people could discuss those 1337 Doom 3 clans they are going to make once the game comes out, but don't expect any outside interest.
Modding/hacking: How can people make mods for a game that is not complete yet?
Mod reviews: What is there to review?

So basically there is a reason behind the lack of traffic and general activity on the Doom 3 sites. The reason being that the game is not released yet.

A site can only get attention by having some sort of interesting content. Merely existing is not enough. Sadly there is not much content to offer.. yet!

This will of course all change when the game is released, people are rife with gaming experiences to share or looking for other people to multiplay with and when the modders and hackers have got a feel for the game and wish to share development efforts.

But right now there is little else to do than post whatever news tidbit you can dust up and wait in anticipation.

Little Faith said:

Multiplayer: No way!! I don't even think the alpha supports it fully.
Modding/hacking: How can people make mods for a game that is not complete yet?

While it doesn't fully support it (got to hack it, I think), multiplayer is in the alpha. As for modding/hacking...I think people already did this when they got the menu to work, the intro, and a few levels. And I've heard of people already working on levels (I guess they got the editor to work too).

Still, I went over to the site. I agree, it's a nice design, but I probably won't be there much more. Nothing to do with Doom 3 yet (I don't know how to use GtkRadiant), so why bother?

My question is, do they also cater to the Classic Doom community, like NewDoom does?

Heck, there's even a Doom 3 editing forum here on Doomworld! It's hidden, though. Presumably someone bauked at it.

Archvile46 said:
IT WAS MORDETH!!!

No it wasn't. And as long as they don't steal our shit (like quite a few wannabe sites did) we'll get along fine.

newdoom is a higher ranking doom site?

If that's the case the people certainly do have a right to know :P

Bloodshedder said:

And for the record, I never sent them any e-mail.

The post says they "received multiple responses" so it may not be you.

IMHO:
1) news sites should GET their news... you seek it out, it is not sent to you. (although, there should be room for both)
2) Doom3 and Doom(2) are 2 different things. Even Doomworld should follow planetquake's example...
3) they brought it upon themselves by complaining, but surely there is room for another news site. I hope they can do something with it to make it worth reading daily. I'll be watching...

yes, there is that.
but I meant overall.
and like I said, it is just my opinion... which is obviously not the opinion of most of DW's visitors... or admins probably.

Opulent said:

IMHO:
1) news sites should GET their news... you seek it out, it is not sent to you. (although, there should be room for both)
2) Doom3 and Doom(2) are 2 different things. Even Doomworld should follow planetquake's example...

Those 2 points above that Opulent has listed are worth to reconsider. For num.2, it'd be better if news posters can be more specific to clearify on which belongs in which series of Doom precisely, even community news.

999cop said:

Those 2 points above that Opulent has listed are worth to reconsider. For num.2, it'd be better if news posters can be more specific to clearify on which belongs in which series of Doom precisely, even community news.

Ever bothered to look at the subtitle of news posts?

Julian: I do.
however, starting now, I officially promise to not be a pain in the ass... at least until Doom3 comes out. ;)