Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

Any 2D games that are similar to Doom gameplaywise?

I feel like I'm becoming too obsessed with Doom (playing STRG.wad), and I want to try something new. I'm looking for a top down or side-scrolling game that plays like Doom (mostly linear progression, fast-paced) and has a nice roster of monsters and weapons. The only other game I'm playing rn is Touhou Lunar Nights.

for some reason Castlevania comes to mind, but not really. I might have more if I think harder.

The MiniDoom series is an obvious option. They are 2d side scroller games that borrow heavily from Doom.

Enter the Gungeon has everything you listed: linear progression and a bunch of (fun) weapons. Nuclear Throne similarly fits the bill.

And basically any 90s fps 2.5D games, of course. Doom isn't entirely 3D after all.

Shadowgrounds is a rather Doom-ish (more Doom 3 than Doom 1 or 2 though) top down shooter. It focuses on a lone character fighting against an alien invasion on a moon, and has analogues to most of Doom's arsenal. There's also a sequel, Shadowgrounds Survivor.

Bleed is pretty good. Fast sidescrolling shooting stuff

Abuse from 90's might be worth a try, dunno how it has aged but i loved it as a kid

You guys should try Nuclear Throne. It is my other favourite action game. It is also very fast paced with amazing gameplay, monster designs and pixel graphics.

Another game that struck me as a "2D shooter inspired by Doom" is Butcher. I found it nice to play through.

Huntdown is fan-fucking-tastic

I could not recommend this game enough

Levels are linear, have secrets (some even give super weapons), are around 5-10 minutes and all conclude with a unique boss fight

Lots of weapons as well as items like grenades and boomerangs, three playable characters each with unique weapon and item, and its sure purty to boot

14 hours ago, muumi said:

Abuse from 90's might be worth a try, dunno how it has aged but i loved it as a kid

This, it's very much the Doom/Quake zeitgeist put into a platformer.

Alien Rampage might be worth checking out too.  It was originally going to be a Duke Nukem game before it was retooled.

@Redneckerz

Doom2D is awesome. Has its own level editor too, but not sure if there are actually any tools to convert Doom's maps to 2D. Maybe the remakes added something?

2 hours ago, dr_st said:

@Redneckerz

Doom2D is awesome. Has its own level editor too, but not sure if there are actually any tools to convert Doom's maps to 2D. Maybe the remakes added something?

There used to be a converter on the Forever site.

They even have a DeHackEd like editor change things.

I wish i could add links but at work right now.

Cyberdogs:

Even rips off the chainsaw and death sounds. Also, the Alien Breed games on the Amiga.

2 hours ago, Maes said:

Cyberdogs:

Even rips off the chainsaw and death sounds. Also, the Alien Breed games on the Amiga.

Cyberdogs has a linux conversion that can be downloaded on a retropie system as well, also it's a nice game for local multiplayer.

One thing that I think of is Metroid. You clear areas of enemies, upgrade your arsenal, suit and abilities only to be able to back track to recently unvisited locations because they were impossible to reach without the upgrades (similar feel to grabbing keycards to backtrack to doors). Its also got that slightly mazey feel to it if thats even a word.

50 minutes ago, Marcinski said:

One thing that I think of is Metroid. You clear areas of enemies, upgrade your arsenal, suit and abilities only to be able to back track to recently unvisited locations because they were impossible to reach without the upgrades (similar feel to grabbing keycards to backtrack to doors). Its also got that slightly mazey feel to it if thats even a word.

I am a huge Metroid fan and beat every game in the series except Federation Force. I am more excites for a Fusion sequel than Prime 4 or the rumored HD Trilogy.

I always thought Doom was inspired by Robotron to some degree, especially if you play it using only the map; so yeah, Robotron.

The Chaos Engine is one of my favourite shooters. I think the Mega Drive version is the best. It's on Steam too and has two player online play.

Broforce is also worth a look. Good 4 player game.

Hmm...Chaos Engine looks suspiciously similar to Cyberdogs....or is it the other way around? ;-)

Also, Beast Busters. It's a classic rail shooter, but with some suspension of disbelief you can sorta-kinda see a proto-Doom in there.

The Super Spy, for some reason, also gives me a Doom vibe (must be those hands and first person perspective).

Edited by Maes

23 hours ago, JXC said:

I am a huge Metroid fan and beat every game in the series except Federation Force. I am more excites for a Fusion sequel than Prime 4 or the rumored HD Trilogy.

Yeah same :D. Its just been too long since fusion. Federation force just sucks anyway.

Xargon was always an old favorite of mine (and it's freeware now as well!). I consider gameplay Doomy enough. Love the OST too. Captain Claw also seemed cool but very difficult.

Edited by FrancisT18 : Added video (this is not mine btw)

At its core, Doom is a real-time action RPG with fancy 3D graphics. I'm referring to the graphics, shut up, we've had that thread already and it was boring and sucked. Don't do it again, please.

Sadly, Diablo does not have guns. It also does not really have strafing, but perhaps that would be a little OP considering what circle-strafing did to Doom.

Toxie Radd 1 & 2, Lost Outpost, Dark Base, and Zombies in the Shadow should fit the bill. They're all flash games, though.

Zombies ate my neighbours is a funny and difficult game.

I preferd MD version but the Snes one is great too.

Chaos Engine was mentioned already and is marvelous.

Demolition Man for MD is too notch and hard as hell. Really good changing gameplay from plataformer to top down segments.

True Lies for MD is awesome and follows the movie.

Contra: Hard Corps my favorite game on MD is action non stop with multiple endings and different chars so high replay value.

On 6/30/2020 at 1:18 AM, Boaby Kenobi said:

The Chaos Engine is one of my favourite shooters. I think the Mega Drive version is the best. It's on Steam too and has two player online play.

Ha, that's a blast from the past. Steampunk setting if I remember right. I can vouch for this one, it's a gem. I remember having a lot of fun with it back in the 90's. I think it even released the same year as Doom, but its been so long since I played it I may be wrong.

I had no idea this was on steam it must have slipped under my radar, although to be fair I haven't logged into steam in awhile. Thanks for heads up, I'll definitely grab this. Fantastic little shooter, way ahead of its time when it came out.

There was also a sequel: Chaos Engine II. However I have no idea if the second one is also on steam.