Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

favorite game to mod outside of Doom?

Super Mario World is as easy to mod as Doom. It’s basically the side scroller equivalent of a perfect canvas to work with creatively, the way Doom is to classic FPS.

I’ve never modded it myself (yet), but Mario 64 has a very lively modding scene too. In fact, all of the NES, SNES and N64 Mario games seem to have a fair share of mods!

(is it obvious Doom and Mario have been my two favourite series since I was knee high to a pissant?)

I dont mod, sadly, but some of my favorite Modding communities are from Command and Conquer and The Elder Scrolls. I dont know if they are complicated, but they sure have a very active modding community.

Outside of Doom engine games, definitely the Command and Conquer series. The older games of that franchise (particularly Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2) are very easy to mod (roughly as easy as DECORATE modding in Zdoom) as they are modded using .ini files that can be opened and edited with notepad.

Rules.ini is the main file but there are also other files like AI.ini, Art.ini, Sounds.ini etc. I even made a mod for Tiberian sun some years ago.

Edited by ReaperAA

The HL and Elder Scrolls games, there's a ton of content out there for those games, some better, some crap, but modding both is easy which is how their modding scene is still around, similar to Doom.

Although I haven't touched an ES game in years since I am really fed up with the load order and mod conflicts bullshit. It is a very time consuming and frustrating job to troubleshoot this, and sometimes it comes with very mixed results - no success at all, I mean.

Starbound for the sheer fact it can SOMEHOW take over 12 pages of mods and STILL work! (Seriously that game is an absolute tank when it comes to mods XD).

TES V:Skyrim is another one I love to mod since I can be a pony that runs around a village, dabbin' on them stormcloak fanboiz and chilllin' with Jarl Ballin', casting weird spells from my hands cause Skyrim.

I actually haven't dabbled in much modding outside Doom, except for a few (failed) experiments with Starcarft 1/2. I do want to try Unreal modding in particular, perhaps also Quake.

I've dabbled in making maps for Quake, Quake II, Half-Life, Hexen (still in progress 1, 2 and 3), Hexen II (screen 1, 2, 3 and 4) Heretic, Heretic II (screen 1, 2 and 3). I also made a Balmora house mod and splash screen mod and I think I was working on a ruined tomb at one point for Morrowind. I made an Ayleid ruin and a Imperial Fort in Oblivion. Then in Skyrim I made a fortress. I made a gold colored player skin for Fakk II. I made a couple test chambers for Portal 2, which are on Steam of course. I made a texture pack for Minecraft (screen 1, 2 and 3) that I'm still working on. The majority of all that stuff is half-done, unfinished, and in some cases lost. The Hexen II stuff is gone for sure. Still working on a Hexen map and a Heretic episode.

I don't know what my favorite is for modding outside of Doom. I really enjoy making textures, so maybe it's Minecraft of all things. If I liked brush work more id say Quake / Quake 2. The Elder Scrolls can be fun to make things for, but putting together a ruin / fort / Imperial outhouse is limited by set pieces and some stuff just doesn't fit unless you jam in something to fix the seams... it can be fun but tedious as well. They need to come up with a tool that makes the seams weld together or something more flexible.

3 hours ago, seed said:

The HL and Elder Scrolls games, there's a ton of content out there for those games, some better, some crap, but modding both is easy which is how their modding scene is still around, similar to Doom.

Although I haven't touched an ES game in years since I am really fed up with the load order and mod conflicts bullshit. It is a very time consuming and frustrating job to troubleshoot this, and sometimes it comes with very mixed results - no success at all, I mean.

That is certainly a big pain. I don't know how many times I restarted a Bethesda game and there's mod conflicts, outdated mods or you're returning after not playing in a year and you have the game saying there's missing content / do you want to continue anyways. Sometimes you can't fucking remember if you were using a script extender or what and you go ahead with the load and your character is standing in the woods with no armor on, your cool sword is missing and it's like you were mugged and don't remember. So you run around the woods, half naked for a minute and then give up and go do something else.. lol Then, like you say there's the mod conflicts and random crashes....

Edited by Doom_Dude

I've made levels for DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon, which is a really clever turn-based puzzle game. haven't released em though, my creations (as ever) are pretty much the opposite of what the community seems to value lol

like everyone else I have messed around with Morrowind's construction kit. the main problem is that it has no extra assets; all you can *construct* is endless variations of what the game already has - npc characters and items and dungeons and whatnot. it's not like Doom where everyone who grabs a level editor can find their own niche because the game is deliberately formal and clunky and it's hard to get action gameplay out of it unless you are over-levelled beyond the typical constraints of the system. There's joy to be had in creating a fleshed-out npc character with well-written dialogue responses to in-game topics people are liable to click on but, again, people are usually not downloading mods which add single characters to the game - they want quests and expanded graphics and player houses and all that. the stuff I wanna make always puts me out of sorts with the community at large

edit: i'm also sitting on hoards of self-designed cards for games like Magic: The Gathering and On the Edge, along with some solo variants with no competition involved.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Super Mario World is as easy to mod as Doom. It’s basically the side scroller equivalent of a perfect canvas to work with creatively, the way Doom is to classic FPS.

I’ve never modded it myself (yet), but Mario 64 has a very lively modding scene too. In fact, all of the NES, SNES and N64 Mario games seem to have a fair share of mods!

(is it obvious Doom and Mario have been my two favourite series since I was knee high to a pissant?)

I've played quite some SMW ROM Hacks lately, and they are very impressive: for a game that wasn't supposed to be able to be further modified like Doom was with its editors, the community has made a lot of mindblowing stuff out of it. For example, JUMP1/2, now thats something you must check out if you want to see what the game's capable of. Who knows, perhaps I even might take a look at how you make a hack in the future.

I loved making custom GoldenEye missions, but really hated mapping for the game. As long as someone gave me a map, I could make a cool, authentic Rare-style mission in it.

Always liked dabbling with the Mega Man NES games (any of them), Castlevania, Super Mario Bros. 3, and the original Final Fantasy. These games all had excellent editors when I was first getting into ROM hacking, versus other games that were either very underdocumented, very convoluted to edit, or just too difficult to make good edits to.

Over ten years I made a map for a game similar to elastomania and published it. Someone reviewed it and said it was too easy.

Edited by NeedHealth

The only game I ever modded (as in made an actual mod/map) outside of Doom is Half-Life 2, you are never going to see what I made as long as I can hide it from the eyes of human kind.

In terms of installing mods, love me that crispy Fallout New Vegas mods, modified the game to be a tough as nails, debilitating, enemy infested hell scape where every battle is a tooth and nail scrap just to survive.

Fuck Bikini mods, I wanna have a bad time.

GTA V for sure. It definitely takes a little longer than most games to get the mods up and running and compatible, but the amount of stuff you can add to that game and just screw around with in the world is awesome.

Seconding @ReaperAA's comment on the C&C series. Also, now that the source code to the originals (C&C and RA1) is available, there are many more possibilities for mods. To give an example of the potential for modding in RA2, there are a lot of positive reviews for Mental Omega, although I haven't played it myself it does look interesting.

For anyone interested in video game source code, I do recommend checking out the C&C series source release. I found it (in my opinion) well-commented and it had clear structure.

Following @ReaperAA and @JadingTsunami, the C&C games. Though, I haven't modded in AGES, but I spend years on messing with the second generation of C&C games, Tiberian Sun/Firestorm and Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge. It never got anywhere, because I dreamed too big and would need hex editing to get things going the way I wanted. Then came the ARES .dll injections for Yuri's Revenge, but by then my interests in modding C&C had waned.

I still have a lot of untested tactical/strategy concepts and hypotheses bobbing around my head from those days that I'd like to see in a mod or videogame, but meh. Whatever.