Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

spyware really sucks!!!

well after i tried to uninstall 2 spyware programs on my cousin's computer i saw that it was a fake uninstal. so i went in a manualy deleted the files and its entries in the registry, win.ini and what ever else. sadly this thing emmbedded its self very deep into the windows core. my ISP would not connect to any server. i thought, well it must have corrupted the drivers. so i uninstalled all of them and started over. same problem, a few tries and several hours later... I was still were i started. So i reformated and installed. this time no more imesh, christ i knew spyware was bad but nothing like this.

Hmm, 've never had any problems getting rid of the stuff that imesh copies onto your machine, unless there's something im not seeing. How did you happen to detect this particular piece of spyware? What was it called? What were the filenames?

Now Im all paranoid.

Quite frankly, I don't really fully understand any of this jazz, so, ya, I probably have a whole wad full of Spyware jazz on ma puter, and well, meh, it should delete itself some point in time.....Right?

DOOM Anomaly said:

I probably have a whole wad full of Spyware jazz on ma puter, and well, meh, it should delete itself some point in time.....Right?

You're joking, right? If not, download Ad-aware from here and remove all that leeching crap from your computer.

Grazza said:

You're joking, right? If not, download Ad-aware from here and remove all that leeching crap from your computer.

Whoo! Thanks dude.

Grazza said:

heh, I already have, but like I said, I dunno what anything is, and my puter is messed enuff as is, when I did the scan dee-lee it came up with like 80 thingies, but I didnt delete anything cause I didnt know what they were, geeze, Im only self taught, I can only know so much.

DOOM Anomaly said:

when I did the scan dee-lee it came up with like 80 thingies, but I didnt delete anything cause I didnt know what they were

Personally, I'd err on the side of removing them all. I have only ever had one false alarm from Ad-aware, and that was because one piece of software had created a subfolder called "gator" (as in alligator).

I suppose the main "danger" is if you have installed software that comes with spyware as an integral part of it - i.e. if you remove the spyware, the program refuses to work. I think there are some download managers that behave like this. But do you really want to use software like that?

BTW, what does "dee-lee" mean? Tell me now, or I'll use my post 666 to do something evil. :)

[Edit: Oh bugger, this is my post 666! What a waste.]

Dee-Lee is a word I use, it can be used to substitute words like: Thingy, Thingy mi-bobber, Gizmo, Watcha-Mi-caller, and so on...

I didn't really pick it up from anywhere, just made it up in my head and use it. like 'Did-a-lee-dee'...see a pattern? ;D

So there you have it, straight from the Anomaly's yapper...

I've had problems with KaZaA. I uninstalled some of the spyware that came with it and the Wingate connection between my machines partially died. Eventually, reading a site that talked about the matter I found that I had missed one of the accessory spyware things (b3d projector.) I uninstalled that and KaZaA from the client machine and Wingate is fine now. I also tracked down a strange EXE that kept being copied and renamed from the system directory into the startup directory on both machines, which might or might not have been part of the KaZaA installs.

If you can't get rid of ANY spyware/adware/malware program without reformatting, you're incompetent. After tangling with some of the worse viruses out there (including CIH/Chernobyl, which forced me to hot-swap my BIOS), spyware is nothing.

But yes, spyware is shitty. If you're lazy, just get ad-aware. It's like an anti-virus, but for spyware. And it doesn't suck. And it's free. And it won't fuck up your shit.

A few months back, I deleted KaZaA and all other suspiciousware from my computer (thanks to AdAware and some hacking, my computer should be 99% clean now). Since then I have not installed any new programs other than Phoenix, OpenOffice.org, DirectConnect++ and a couple of other open-source programs. Does feel a lot safer.

Ultraviolet said:

BBG: Your title translates to "B?ck you, instruction I you." In Babelfish.

Rammstein:

Bück dich

Bück dich befehl ich dir
wende dein Antlitz ab von mir
dein Gesicht ist mir egal
bück dich

Ein Zweibeiner auf allen Vieren
ich führe ihn spazieren
im Passgang den Flur entlang
ich bin enttäuscht

Jetzt kommt er rückwärts mir entgegen
Honig bleibt am Strumpfband kleben
ich bin enttäuscht total enttäuscht

Bück dich
das Gesicht interessiert mich nicht

Der Zweibeiner hat sich gebückt
in ein gutes Licht gerückt
zeig ich ihm was man machen kann
und ich fang zu weinen an

Der Zweifuss stammelt ein Gebet
aus Angst weil es mir schlechter geht
versucht sich tiefer noch zu bücken
Tränen laufen hoch den Rücken

Bück dich

Bück dich befehl ich dir
wende dein Antlitz ab von mir
dein Gesicht ist mir egal
bück dich nocheinmal

Bück dich

Translation:
Bend down

Bend down, I command you
turn your face away from me
your face means nothing to me
bend down

A human on all fours
I take him on a walk
ambling along the corridor
I am disappointed

Now he comes backwards towards me
Honey stays stuck on the garter
I am disappointed, totally disappointed

Bend down
your face doesn't interest me

The human has bent down
and moved into a good light
I show him what you can do
and I start to cry

The human stammers a prayer
out of fear because it goes worse for me
he tries to bend down even more
tears run up the back

Bend down

Bend down, I command you
turn your face away from me
your face means nothing to me
bend down once more

Bend down

TheHighestTree said:

Ewwww...that doesn't sound too good :(

I can bend my back backwards, does that gross you out too?

Heh, I can bend my fingers almost to my wrist, plus I can twist my arms around my back all freaky like. Does that disgust you?

scorpion said:

Thank god for KaZaA lite! Just remember NOT to update to KMD 2.02 (or the spyware version will still be installed)!

There are some virus-infected KaZaA Lite copies in circulation, I'd be careful.

DooMBoy said:

Heh, I can bend my fingers almost to my wrist, plus I can twist my arms around my back all freaky like. Does that disgust you?

Yes, yes it does.

Fredrik said:

There are some virus-infected KaZaA Lite copies in circulation, I'd be careful.

I didn't know that, thanks!! Luckily my scanner tells me not to worry...

Heh, as I read some posts above, it seems like DooM is being played most by Barbie-dolls...

Sephiroth said:

So i reformated and installed. this time no more imesh, christ i knew spyware was bad but nothing like this.

Should be a a last resort. Your problem was fixable without these measures.

Heh, there's one form of spyware that actually DELETES anti-spyware software on your system without telling you. Talk about fucking malicious.

Well, to be fair to Sephiroth, formatting & reinstalling is sometimes just necessary to get a system running well - and I do it sometimes on a whim, because it just fixes, well, everything. But he didn't HAVE to do it in this case.

Sometimes formatting and reinstalling disturbs the perfect balance of functionality once had. I haven't reformatted ever, and right now I can do everything I need to on this computer. Sound card works, network works, CD-ROM works (except for the CD audio), stuff isn't unworking. When you format, you lose all the device drivers, and they cannot always be tracked down.

As long as you keep all your original hardware installation CDs, and the manufacturers of your devices have working websites, then you shouldn't have a problem locating drivers again. I didn't when I formatted about 5 months ago.

....Right....Could I hire one of you peeps to come over here and 'reformat' my puter or sumthing? DOOM Anomaly doesn't know any of this hardware mumbo-jumbo but is sure there is a problem in some of it, badly.