Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

why are so many topics being closed to further replies?

lately, I've noticed a spark in locked topics. it appears like many of them are just closing down. today, my topic, Warnings on Doomworld got closed down, even though I felt like more information could have been shared, and it had been more lively than ever, but not even that one, because it did get a bit off topic at the end, but many topics have just closed with no explanation as to why. could somebody (possibly a moderator) explain this sudden rise in topic closing? I don't think it is a brand new feature, since I have seen it since before the beginning of the month. I don't know if there is like a new moderator who is a bit trigger-happy with their taking down of topics, or that some topics have just not been worthy enough lately, but I feel like there should at least be an explanation as to why this is happening. I'm not angry or something like that, but I'm confused to the sudden uprise. any help explaining would be great!

When a topic is closed for further replies, most of the time, is made as a counter-measure against ongoing or possible fights.

For example, your last topic, Lil, got derailed a little during the last hours, but also, the original theme of the topic was answered vastly, so, it somehow outlived it own existence as a proper topic and started to be more like an opinion hole about different things. Like starting a post about kentucky fried chikens food and end talking about how the neutron can be exploited as fuel for the future... to say something really different from the original theme.

Just that, pal! Not moderation happy, just careful and thoughtful moderation.

In general, as discussion in a thread goes off-topic, it rarely converges back on-topic on its own. Similarly, as conflicts and arguments escalate, they almost never deescalate naturally. It's easy for people to get drawn into arguments that they maybe don't even really want to have, but that they feel compelled to participate in to defend a viewpoint that they or someone else made. As tensions heat up, it becomes easier for people to take things personally, or to resort to personal attacks. Locking the thread puts the breaks on all of that.

Doomworld also has a history of some heated discussion/arguments about various political subjects, that tended to result in a lot of the same people getting at each others' throats. The mods have seen this all before, and have a pretty good sense of when a thread is in danger of getting ugly.

Serious discourse is necessary everywhere sometimes, but these are ultimately forums about an old video game series. It's not usually the right place for it and its not what people generally come here for.

Bear in mind that this thread can potentially act as an invitation to rekindle the circumstances that caused those topics to be locked in the first place. Don't be surprised to see it if it happens here.

25 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Bear in mind that this thread can potentially act as an invitation to rekindle the circumstances that caused those topics to be locked in the first place. Don't be surprised to see it if it happens here.

I imagine it wouldn't. it is simply a question, not an argument waiting to happen. 

Because we constantly derail, have to close a thread, then someone opens up threads that are basically the same discussion. Rinse, repeat.

Yes, we humans are stupid enough to trip over the same stone, not twice, nor thrice, just endlessly triping over it.

But just sometimes, with the continuous fall, we learn someting new.

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I imagine it wouldn't. it is simply a question, not an argument waiting to happen. 

I didn't necessarily say that you were explicitly looking to do so, just warning you that it could happen regardless of your intentions. It's all too easy to see this thread as a blatant attempt to keep the previous arguments going and all it takes is for someone else to use it as a soapbox for things to go out the proverbial window again. With that taken into consideration, you can understand why some people would consider starting this thread a rather misguided course of action.

46 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Are you new to the internet? Haha...

I'm not opposing to people asking questions, but man, you should probably think a little bit harder before asking. I personally say DW admins are pretty chill about things unless it gets into some nonsensical scenarios or flaming wars. As your own thread, it's definitely not somebody being trigger happy.

4 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I'm not opposing to people asking questions, but man, you should probably think a little bit harder before asking. I personally say DW admins are pretty chill about things unless it gets into some nonsensical scenarios or flaming wars. As your own thread, it's definitely not somebody being trigger happy.

I just thought there was a sudden rise to this, since I've seen about 2 or so "This topic has been closed to further replies" in the last two months. And today, I saw 3. I was saying trigger-happy as a possible reason that I barely can see as a possibility, but possible. I've thought about posting this topic for the past few days. I wasn't saying anything like, "The Doomworld administrators are bad, roar!" I was just asking if anybody else has seen an uprise in this stuff, too. maybe I am just looking at certain topics. 

I wouldn't say it's an awful question. And I don't really see how it is. I feel like some people are misunderstanding my question and think that I have something against this, which I don't, and I thought I made it pretty clear in my original post. Maybe I didn't.

54 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I didn't necessarily say that you were explicitly looking to do so, just warning you that it could happen regardless of your intentions. It's all too easy to see this thread as a blatant attempt to keep the previous arguments going and all it takes is for someone else to use it as a soapbox for things to go out the proverbial window again. With that taken into consideration, you can understand why some people would consider starting this thread a rather misguided course of action.

I don't see how anybody would see it like that. I never mentioned in my original post that it had something to do with arguing. My original post was asking the question, not answering it. if you look at my thread that did close, I wasn't in any arguments, and I was trying to get back on topic, before somebody closed it. sadly, that didn't work out. 

I want to make Doomworld a better community for everyone, especially me, as a newer member. the last thing I want is for an argument to happen, and I feel like people are taking this the wrong way. please read this out, don't just pick bits and pieces. sometimes, people can read things the wrong way and heated debates start over it. please don't do that! :D

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I just thought there was a sudden rise to this, since I've seen about 2 or so "This topic has been closed to further replies" in the last two months. And today, I saw 3.

The world is randomized, just like you can roll 5 sixes in a row with a D6.

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

The world is randomized, just like you can roll 5 sixes in a row with a D6.

that was the point I was trying to make. sorry if it came across differently.

When theres a forum with no specified rules what do you expect?  Forum posts will get closed because theres no guidance as to how people must behave.  And before someone comes to me with ''Just use common sense'' remember some people may not be able to interperet common sense as well as others.  They need things written down for them to understand it better.  And also yes before anyone else asks me because I know they will I did talk to a moderator. My opinion still stands, a place runs better when theres a groundwork of specific rules made to keep order.  I dont want to learn the rules by trial and error, recieving a bunch of warns,and post closures, it is not good for morale.  I've said my peace and will not say anything else.  Have a good night all!

isn't this like the third thread in 48 hours on this now? y'all need to go and make some doom levels ffs

Just now, Eris Falling said:

isn't this like the third thread in 48 hours on this now? y'all need to go and make some doom levels ffs

there are more topics on this? Could you possibly link them? :)

Just now, Eris Falling said:

I'm not surprised that somebody will complain about too many rules or too few rules at the same time since you know... it's about the problem of complaining about things. Please hit me with more musics, not maps (sorry, all other stuff is not the point I quote you :P).

@LiT_gam3r just look at the post above Eris Falling's. That is what Obsidian was pointing out as a possible outcome.

No, its not your fault, Lil.

But sometimes personal agenda get in the way of apeacing things and good innocent questions like yours, and just spread like bonfire.

That being said, and with the example at hand, you might expect this thread to close soon, too.

Oh, EvelisH, i really understand your point. But well, as you said, common sense is not easy to understand to some.

@P41R47 I get this thread ending, but I got the answer I was looking for so if it does (and if it does today, this might be the final post), people can still get their answer. Thank you everybody!

@Obsidian with the comment above, I now understand what you mean! Thank you!

The thing to note about a closed thread is that at least it could be reopened depending on the circumstances, like the thread a couple of months ago with Torm's alleged plagiarism being closed because it delved into drama and fuck but then it opened again once Torm returned in order to clarify things. Just be glad your thread wasn't deleted. You can look back on it still.

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

Get to it *cracks whip* I want Erislution out within the next 57.8 hours

Something weird i noticed is that some really old threads (2004-2012) are closed, with no clear reason why, no last message from mods telling why, no one broke the rules, and that, maybe to avoid necroposting? If that was the case, there's already a warning about necroposting when you're commenting on a thread that was dormany for 3+ months

11 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Something weird i noticed is that some really old threads (2004-2012) are closed, with no clear reason why, no last message from mods telling why, no one broke the rules, and that, maybe to avoid necroposting? If that was the case, there's already a warning about necroposting when you're commenting on a thread that was dormany for 3+ months

maybe some people think their response is worthy of reopening the topic, and the moderators know that any comment that may come will not be worthy enough to reopen the topic. 

5 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

lately, I've noticed a spark in locked topics.

You've only been around since April. I don't see any significant change in thread closing patterns, seems like the mods use approximately the same reasoning they have been for many years. If there are more topics being closed, perhaps it's because there are more being opened that end up needing the axe...