Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

why are so many topics being closed to further replies?

The threads I've seen get closed lately were blatant flame wars waiting to happen, and sure enough, they ended up being that. It's not ideal to have to constantly babysit a thread to make sure people aren't threatening to beat each other up or whatever when you moderate an online forum, so it makes sense when these things get locked.

Another reason some other threads have been closed, and this has been mentioned above, is that a lot of threads that don't end on their own when it outlived its usefulness just devolve into random bullshit that has nothing to do with anything. For example, the thread Doomkid made where he shared a video making fun of some  far right-wing chud gamer butthurt over BLM. At first, the replies were people having fun and riffing on the video, but it eventually became Bill Gates and Ancient Aliens conspiracy theories apropos of seemingly nothing. So it makes complete sense that something like that gets locked, too.

Also, I've seen some threads get locked sooner than they perhaps deserve, sure, but I've also seen plenty of threads that don't get locked until wayyy after the point of no return. Sometime late last year someone made a seemingly innocuous thread asking why people prefer Zdoom on average, and after about 2 hours it devolved into possibly the largest flame war I've ever seen on this site so far. People on both sides of the "debate" were flinging mud at eachother, using ad homs, spreading spurious accusations of sabotage and scamming with no evidence, saying dumb ass shit that makes no sense (the ol' classic), and just generally not willing to entertain other perspectives with any nuance or civility whatsoever. Absolutely childish behavior on display, and this thing went on and on for a solid week before it finally got locked. I even found myself chiming in twice asking why it's not locked yet. I would take recent events over whatever that was any day of the week. That was horrible.

In tl;dr fashion, topics get closed down eventually because of one or more of the following:

• they descend into flame wars.
  • they descend into shitposting/doomposting.
  • they outlive their usefulness.
  • they turn into a circlejerk and an endless echoing of the same points over and over again.
  • they're about something too controversial or stupid.
  • they're about something that was recently posted already.

2 hours ago, seed said:
  • they descend into flame wars.
  • they descend into shitposting/doomposting.
  • they outlive their usefulness.
  • they turn into a circlejerk and an endless echoing of the same points over and over again.

A lot of those reasons tend to happen because someone doesn't respond well to a nitpick.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:38 PM, P41R47 said:

When a topic is closed for further replies, most of the time, is made as a counter-measure against ongoing or possible fights.

For example, your last topic, Lil, got derailed a little during the last hours, but also, the original theme of the topic was answered vastly, so, it somehow outlived it own existence as a proper topic and started to be more like an opinion hole about different things. Like starting a post about kentucky fried chikens food and end talking about how the neutron can be exploited as fuel for the future... to say something really different from the original theme.

Just that, pal! Not moderation happy, just careful and thoughtful moderation.

my topic got closed

1 minute ago, uwwaves said:

my topic got closed

Don't worry, you didn't made anything wrong.

Its just that what you were asking was already answered out.

The rest was just people talking and making jokes about Plutonia this, Plutonia that.

Just now, P41R47 said:

Don't worry, you didn't made anything wrong.

Its just that what you were asking was already answered out.

The rest was just people talking and making jokes about Plutonia this, Plutonia that.

good to know didn't you answer the question on my post

1 minute ago, uwwaves said:

good to know didn't you answer the question on my post

hahaha, yes! It was me who answered. And following the topic i have a good laugh for a while with some comments.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, Jimmy said:

Hey anyone remember that game Doom?

It's that Christian game where you spread the word of our Lord to those less fortunate.  I remember it well.  Seems there was once a website all about it...Doom...place?  Something like that.

Today's thread about the alcoholic seems to have been deleted, as well as closed. I mean, there's no trace of it.

43 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Today's thread about the alcoholic seems to have been deleted, as well as closed. I mean, there's no trace of it.

there was no thread about that. I don't know what you're talking about. Nobody knows what you are talking about

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

That one should definitely be deleted since it's going towards the dangerous side.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

there was no thread about that. I don't know what you're talking about. Nobody knows what you are talking about

I know what he's talking about. Cool your jets.

We all know really, and it's very good that it got nuked from existence...

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I've seen that thread in the sidebar 3 times in the past days, how do you not know about it

40 minutes ago, seed said:

We all know really, and it's very good that it got nuked from existence...

I departed that thread some time ago. As terrible as the personal situation is, i feel this is beyond what a internet forum should offer. Guidelines, at most. The actual step is a decision only the OP can make, and that's on him.

22 minutes ago, pc234 said:

I've seen that thread in the sidebar 3 times in the past days, how do you not know about it

Lit's feigning sarcasm.

Just before being deleted, i receive quoting or something and i couldn't made it on time to read it.
I wonder what what the OP was telling me, but...

Well, i think its better to not know, looking that it was deleted just after i suggested it was time to close it.