Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roebloz

Thy Flesh Consumed on 32x Preview

15 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Very cool. Well done sir.

Thank you. It should release soon since there is only 3 maps to do left!

On 7/15/2020 at 4:07 AM, Roebloz said:

I'm not sure for the level 15 ending, however some dude made the 24 level expansion so maybe ask them? Also I'm doing this port for the challenge only and I will probably add some bonuses.

Level expansion seems easy if you know the address (I find it when comparing 24level expansion rom with original), so I expand level selection to 64 and added starting level level 30, so someone can start and go until the end without interrupting (because of level 15 and level 24 restrictions). I dont know which is the guy's done expansion level first, if someone knows how to hack level 15 restriction (game ends or go to level 23) will make a perfect mod.

Happy modding (modding 32x doom its just for fun).

Project currently on hold as I am taking a small break from Doom and I'm running into some problems with MAP06 and MAP07.

MAP05 complete and is currently being tested! Texture misalignments are being fixed of course. Now my idea for MAP06 (And possibly MAP07, depends) is that since the main part of the level is very high memory demanding for the 32x (The part with the lava and the Cyberdemon), my idea would be to include parts of other maps from Inferno in MAP06's most resource-demanding parts with sections of maps from Inferno, to fill it with something less prone to crash. Tell me if you like that idea. I will also be uploading a video of MAP04 and MAP05 later today onto my YouTube channel, stay tuned.

inerno2.PNG

inerno3.PNG

inerno4.PNG

inferno.PNG

Alright so here is a new video of MAP05 working (Used a few savestates since Thy Flesh Consumed isn't the easiest episode as you probably already know). Also while I didn't want to have the original rocky screen borders for this, due to them being more fitting for the borders rather than the "flesh snakes", I instead replaced the rocks with my own custom texture, which is the same but the rocks are dark black and magma is flowing in the cracks. (Said flat is included down below) Also replaced the wooden planks background of the intermission screens with skulls although they seem to be a bit off right now... I think I could finish this ROM Hack by the end of this month if I don't encounter too much problems with MAP06 and MAP07.

Magma.PNG

ROCKS.png

skulls.PNG

15 hours ago, Gregory Stephens said:

Looks really nice. Btw for the videos you should turn the music off I mean... at least D_E1M5 is bearable or whatever but yeah lol

Hmmm yeah good idea.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, e-Doctor said:

Level expansion seems easy if you know the address (I find it when comparing 24level expansion rom with original), so I expand level selection to 64 and added starting level level 30, so someone can start and go until the end without interrupting (because of level 15 and level 24 restrictions). I dont know which is the guy's done expansion level first, if someone knows how to hack level 15 restriction (game ends or go to level 23) will make a perfect mod.

Happy modding (modding 32x doom its just for fun).

A highly idiotic question, but still: do levels have to be in order? Can't you hack level 14 to go to map 16 instead  and continue on from there and then hack the penultimate map to lead to map 15 which would be the last level?

On 8/20/2020 at 8:40 PM, Allard said:

A highly idiotic question, but still: do levels have to be in order? Can't you hack level 14 to go to map 16 instead  and continue on from there and then hack the penultimate map to lead to map 15 which would be the last level?

Its can be a solution if someone find a way to do it. If someone real expert in hex modding can do it will make the rom much better.

6 hours ago, e-Doctor said:

Its can be a solution if someone find a way to do it. If someone real expert in hex modding can do it will make the rom much better.

I have no experience so I won't try it. Also progress is being done, just really slowly.

Progress still going steadily, I've went the same way the PSX handled E4M2 for E4M6 here. Still work in progress of course, but it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. I might include some parts from EXTRAMAP.wad in this level or E4M7, depends.

Episode4 at 2020.08.23 19-38-22.309 [R2787].jpg

Episode4 at 2020.08.23 19-38-36.705 [R2787].jpg

Raised the lava level on MAP02 to prevent a freeze or extreme lag, and MAP06 is almost ready. One more map to go bois.

Episode4 at 2020.08.25 13-29-23.512 [R2787].jpg

Episode4 at 2020.08.25 13-29-30.163 [R2787].jpg

Episode4 at 2020.08.25 13-29-48.540 [R2787].jpg

Episode4 at 2020.08.25 13-29-56.470 [R2787].jpg

I noticed a lot of significant height reductions. Does Doom 32x have the same problem as PSX Doom when it comes to texture clipping or does it just bomb out altogether when textures are too tall?

19 hours ago, Gregory Stephens said:

I noticed a lot of significant height reductions. Does Doom 32x have the same problem as PSX Doom when it comes to texture clipping or does it just bomb out altogether when textures are too tall?

I think it's more down to the relatively weak processor of the 32X. The game's all being drawn in software so the height tiling shouldn't be a problem, but the FPS drop for huge rooms most definitely would be.

I wish to have circle strafing in DOOM 32x.  The controls are fairly responsive, but having only a dedicated strafe button is too awkward for me :O

On 8/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, DCG Retrowave said:

I wish to have circle strafing in DOOM 32x.  The controls are fairly responsive, but having only a dedicated strafe button is too awkward for me :O

I'm not a pro hacker at the game engine sorry, and where do you want those strafe left and right buttons in the first place? Also I went on a trip to a friend's house so I didn't get to work on the hack for now. Also to answer @Gregory Stephens's question, It's simply to save on memory usage since the 32x doesn't have the best processor for tall Doom levels believe it or not

15 hours ago, Roebloz said:

I'm not a pro hacker at the game engine sorry, and where do you want those strafe left and right buttons in the first place?

That's alright :D.  If you did know how to modify the controls, I would suggest removing the dedicated strafe button and the second weapon switching button in favor of strafe left and right.  I'd rearrange the current layout so these strafe buttons can be X and Z on the Genesis 6-button pad.  Maybe one day someone will do that and then I can actually beat the game :D

1 hour ago, DCG Retrowave said:

That's alright :D.  If you did know how to modify the controls, I would suggest removing the dedicated strafe button and the second weapon switching button in favor of strafe left and right.  I'd rearrange the current layout so these strafe buttons can be X and Z on the Genesis 6-button pad.  Maybe one day someone will do that and then I can actually beat the game :D

Hmmm that would maybe sound like a good idea, but then you'd lose the automap button.

7 hours ago, Roebloz said:

Hmmm that would maybe sound like a good idea, but then you'd lose the automap button.

The automap button could be reassigned to something else.  There's still enough buttons for my dream layout.

X = Strafe Left

Y = Automap

Z = Strafe Right

A = Run/Open (I'm pretty sure it does both if I remember correctly)

B = Fire

C = Change Weapon (I'm not sure if I'd rather have this for button A or C.  Either one should work fine though)

If any ROM hackers are reading this, please please please please please :D

12 hours ago, DCG Retrowave said:

The automap button could be reassigned to something else.  There's still enough buttons for my dream layout.

X = Strafe Left

Y = Automap

Z = Strafe Right

A = Run/Open (I'm pretty sure it does both if I remember correctly)

B = Fire

C = Change Weapon (I'm not sure if I'd rather have this for button A or C.  Either one should work fine though)

If any ROM hackers are reading this, please please please please please :D

Actually C opens the door. This could maybe work if there was an "Always Run" option like in Doom 2 GBA.

I finally got MAP06 to get working and is fully playable! I will now make MAP07, and due to how big the original level is, I'm gonna do something cool...And unexpected...

WorkingMap061.PNG

Every single map is finally finished! It's now gonna be the last bugfixing and testing phase, then I shall submit the hack to Romhacking.net! @Endless prepare to have an article to write for Issue #4 of Wadazine my friend.

5 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Every single map is finally finished! It's now gonna be the last bugfixing and testing phase, then I shall submit the hack to Romhacking.net! @Endless prepare to have an article to write for Issue #4 of Wadazine my friend.

I think that would be Issue #5 mate, since issue #4 is going to be out very very soon. But I'll be waiting with my arms open for that article!