Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soulless

New map - Bitter Awakening (#7)

Really fun map. A good balance between run&gun and frustrating ambushes, but not so much that you want to give up. Ammo and health seemed fair. Didn't notice any technical issues. I recorded my session, so I'll post it once I encode it & upload. 

Here we go. New Youtube channel, so it rejected the first upload until I verified the account. This is my first gaming video ever, so bear with me. 

Thanks for the footage @Dannarchy. Phew! feeling great seeing that nothing has failed during your run. 

Video quality is ok, only thing was the high brightness, and maybe contrast, but being your very 1st video, I salute you for choosing my map!

I can tell you suffered a bit on the switches room, theres an easy strat for that but you did it the hard way, loved every attempt.

Thanks for taking the time!

Haha, thanks. I'm running through GZDoom, so it's a bit more polished than the more authentic source ports. My old eyes appreciate the lack of strain in any case. 

Yeah that switch room took a while, but it was a blast. For the end, I figured I'd just make a mad dash, as there was no way I was going to deal with the Rev's with chaingunners on my back. 

Oh, you can just run out of the switch room and fight out there. Wow, I took the hard way, whoops. 

This is another stellar map, fam! I think doing my best to conquer your maps on UV is the best way to sharpen my Dooming skills so I can take on larger WADs on the same difficulty and graduate from HMP class hehe. I really enjoyed the layout and how the center of the map would gradually open more and more with monster closets and that bit with the switches revealing demons, which I have dubbed The Satantic Rubik's Cube of Despair was really mean and I loved it. Fantastic work, mate.

Here's my gameplay:

UV | Running on GZDoom + Brutal Doom

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Sir Hattington said:

This map is great, the only gripe I have with it is the inconsistency with the brown liquid texture being a damaging floor or not.

Thanks for playing! and Yeah, this is one important point for me, Im still debating myself, but it will be extremely hardcore to put damaging floor in the last area.

I was thinking about changing the 2 non damaging toxic floor areas for water, but it looks too nice, I need that dirt. 

Mad props to @Clippy as usual, and @Biodegradable (I saw your doom youtube playlist man, good stuff) for the videos, I gonna watch em as soon as I can.

Thanks for the kind words @Zolgia108, trying my best!

Ok so im posting a new version with 2 fixes for and untextured and broken elevator, and a blue door that accidentaly I did non-repeatable. Thanks @Clippy for these findings!

The mentioned elevator is down the "rocket launcher" trap, it opens as a shortcut for a quicker backtrack, where the berserk is placed, If anyone encounters this issue again, please let me know, tested it and worked with and without the fix, so im not 100% sure it works correctly.

I forgot earlier to thanks @Biodegradable for baptizing the switches room with the name of The Satantic Rubik's Cube of Despair.

10/10 man hahaha

Edited by Soulless

Enjoyable map, definitely your best so far in terms of combat, which was fun throughout. Riphean Mountains was better visually (and also had better secret hunting), but this map was still decent in that regard. Negatives were the sky, the damaging floor inconsistency, and the blursphere secret; pretty minor things (well, maybe not the sky :P). Recording with commentary below, though I had my mic sensitivity too low so you might find me hard to hear at times.

I played Arcade Station after this, but the audio failed completely for whatever reason, so I deleted that video. That was also a decent map (the arcade station itself was pretty nice) but you've definitely improved since then.

Thanks for the feedback! , I will upload a final version today.

I have in mind tweaking the damaging floors, add Radiation suits, and a couple of shadows.

Im also going to change the freelook mandatory bits, what was I thinking right?

Good find with that hellknight that didnt want to spawn and instead an Imp came to replace him, gotta tweak that.

I knew you would mentiont the sky haha, and you are right, I should have put something different just for once, but it really looks good on there, just blue area anyway.

Thanks for the test @Horus

Final version changes:

-minor textures.

-freelook totally optional now!

-coherent damaging floor

-added 2 radiation suits

-minor changes on the starting point

-minor light changes

New link in the original post.

Thanks everybody for all the test, Its been so easy to fix it with all the feedback!

Here a video with all fixes working on, I didnt grab any rad suit until final section to test chances of survival, and it works good enough.