Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Does DOOMguy embrace his religion?

according to Wolfenstein RPG, DOOMguy is the descendent of WW2 hero, BJ Blazkowicz. that said, DOOMguy would be a jewish marine. according to judaism, there are three types of afterlifes (really 2, but there was originally a first one that was taken away). The first one (not really believed anymore, really like a purgatory) was Sheol, which you've probably heard from map 2 of Si6il. Sheol is a dark pit, where good or bad people go to spend all of eternity. it isn't bad, just boring, and the people live as shadows (yeah, purgatory). Later, Jewish people created the ideas of heaven and hell, although, they weren't the heavens and hells people see today. Heaven is referred to as the Garden of Eden, a luxurious utopia that all good people can live in forever after death. the Hell of Judaism is called Gehinnom, which some say looks different from what others say. some believe it is like the hell we all know and love, where people are tortured by the fiery world beneath them. others believe it is simply a place where people go after death to review their sins. Either way, no matter what it looks like, the person sent there is only there for a year, then they are sent to the Garden of Eden, except for the most wicked. today, many practicing jews (including myself) don't know if there even is an afterlife, and don't care much for it. So, DOOMguy would most likely believe in the Garden of Eden and Gehinnom, or no afterlife at all. when he saw hell break loose for the first time, he must have been amazed to see these demons emerge. my question is, Does DOOMguy embrace Judaism? 

Edit: here's the source I used for the information

Edited by LiT_gam3r

Personally, I don't think so, no.

Doomguy, and particularly Doom Slayer, always stroke me as the kind of person who doesn't give a flying fuck about gods and religion.

"The horrendous visage of the biggest demon you've ever seen crumbles before you, after you pump your rockets into his exposed brain. The monster shrivels up and dies, its thrashing limbs devastating untold miles of Hell's surface. You've done it. The invasion is over. Earth is saved. Hell is a wreck. You wonder where bad folks will go when they die, now. Wiping the sweat from your forehead you begin the long trek back home. Rebuilding Earth ought to be a lot more fun than ruining it was." - Doom II ending text

Take that as you will.

Doomguy is just a videogame character in a video game.  It's all for shock factor like how marilyn manson burns bibles on stage. 

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

according to Wolfenstein RPG, DOOMguy is the descendent of WW2 hero, BJ Blazkowicz. that said, DOOMguy would be a jewish marine.

Doomguy being descended from BJ Blazkowicz doesn't automatically make him Jewish.  Orthodox Jewish doctrine states Judaism is passed through matrilineal descent - in other words, through the mother.  BJ would have had to have married a Jewish woman, and all his children and grandchildren would have had to have been women, or married to Jewish women, for Doomguy to ultimately be Jewish himself.

However, more modern doctrines of Judaism recognize someone as Jewish based on upbringing and personal belief, rather than maternal lineage.  

Either way, the chance of Doomguy being what any modern Jewish church would recognize as Jewish, especially when he himself has displayed zero preference for any religion, is pretty minimal.  He certainly isn't written that way by any of his authors (with the exception of the Doom novels, where he is described as a lax catholic), and that's what really matters.

Edit: Having a quick look online, BJ's wife and the mother of his children in the new Wolfenstein games, Anya Oliwa, is catholic.  Therefore unless one of BJ's descendants remarries into the Jewish faith, being descended from BJ does not in any way make Doomguy Jewish.

Edited by Bauul

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Edit: Having a quick look online, BJ's wife and the mother of his children in the new Wolfenstein games, Anya Oliwa, is catholic.  Therefore unless one of BJ's descendants remarries into the Jewish faith, being descended from BJ does not in any way make Doomguy Jewish.

Like you said, there are different doctrines of Judaism. Cohen ordered all the Orthodox men to grow a beard, and BJ doesn't have that. there are more ways to tell if somebody is not Orthodox, but I'll just use that. 

there can also be secular Jews, who don't believe in god, but believe in the teachings of the Jewish temple.  

Oh, and @SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv (holy crap, crazy name!) disobeying the ten commandments does not make you not Jewish. 

4 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

It's Gehennom, with an E. (source: NetHack)

I just copied and pasted it from the source. 

Doomguy does not express faith and faith is the key to pleasing God. Good deeds are not enough...Doomguy could kill every demon in the multiverse and he wouldn't be any closer to Christ without verbally professing his devotion. So I don't think Doomguy is religious, if he was he'd know better. 

Doomguy is a man that does the right stuff and can get the demon killing job done, but does not care about the religion at all though he does respect it. In the introduction story for the original Doom for example, he was ordered to fire upon civilians by his superior officer, however he refused to do such thing which resulted in his actual state of rampage.

He is basically the guy that is there and kills demons because he does not seem have anything else to do, though Doom Eternal seems to have pushed his character a bit by making him the choosen one type of character. Which can explain in some ways his actions in the past.

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@AverageDoomguy isn't the DOOM Slayer different from DOOMguy? 

I've heard that this fact was confirmed on Doom Eternal, that he could be the same guy from the previous Doom games. Though I didn't get the chance to try out the new Doom games, so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Doomguy believes in his Shotgun.

Only his weapon understands him. Oh wait, wrong game.

In one of the novels "Flynn Taggart" was a staunch catholic if memory serves correctly.  If we're going by the Doom Slayer on the other hand, he's seen the afterlife along with other galaxies/universes and experienced divine intervention from "the father" through the divinity machine.

While it's yet to be confirmed, the father may be god or some form of a god.   

Thus he probably understands the true nature of his universe to some degree and has transcended pass religion as a result of this unlike...

well uh...us

Edited by STILES

God believes in Doomguy to save his creation from monsters

7 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@AverageDoomguy isn't the DOOM Slayer different from DOOMguy? 

Not anymore, Eternal confirmed that classic Doomguy is the same person as the Doom Slayer.

A quote from Fallout 2 will fit here nicely:

"A rocket launcher gives me all the spiritual peace I need."

And Eternal can confirm all it wants but desperately trying to tie it in with the original Dooms (Doom 64 of all things...) is desparate.

As someone who considers Doom 3 or even TNT and Plutonia to be more canon with the original Dooms than Doom 64, yeah, not gonna bite, sorry.

I do kind of like the idea of Doomguy being a crazed evangelical type, gunning down demons and serving as God's holy wrath like the Black Templars from Warhammer 40k while screaming, "Taste his judgement, heathen scum!". If Doomguy was canonically Christian, it would be just all the more ironic and funny given how badly Christian Parent Organisations tried to get the game banned from stores back when it first came out.

Also, I can imagine this song constantly playing in his head.

I think he's more into powerwolf, considering the metalness of the thing, so I guess this is what he sings:

IMO, Doomguy is canonically a believer in ancient Egyptian religion. Evidence:

• The number of times he visits Egyptian-themed levels, starting with TNT's Pharaoh.
  • The ending text of Plutonia, which states: "Remember to tell your grandkids to put a rocket launcher in your coffin. If you go to Hell when you die, you'll need it for some final cleaning-up..." -- burial goods are a pagan belief not exclusive to ancient Egyptian mythology, but it was certainly prominently part of it.
Edited by Gez

Physically going to Hell to shoot demons then come back must fuck with your religious dogmas, at least a little bit. Do we even know if there's a "Heaven" in the doom universe in the same sense that there's a Hell? 

Classic Dooms: It seems fairly obvious that Doomguy is Christian (or at least raised as one). There are several references both in-game and outside it that point to this. I don't think he's the 'church every sunday' type of Christian though, I think he's more of the 'loose' type i.e believes in the teachings but coulden't care less about the rest of it. Whether he has any religious leanings by the end of it all is a different matter though. It either reinforced his beliefs or it destroyed them.

The 90's were very different to today's standards, so the references in the classics make total sense to me as certain groups were always trying to get such games banned. But with Doom it was different, while some Christians disagreed with it (the usual suspects: promoting murder as fun etc) many others liked it due to the theme of Doom (doing Gods work, saving humanity and destroying demons/evil etc).

Modern Dooms: This time I don't think he's religious at all. He seems more like as others have pointed out "only believes in his weapon/has no time for religious dogma". Thus, I think he's either an agnostic or atheist in the modern ones. He still gives a shit about mankind and wants to prevent evil running rampant, but I really don't think he has any religion anymore. This also fits into the "standards" of today.

I never played Doom 64, which the modern Dooms are based on, so I'm unsure if this Doomguy (or slayer) was ever religious to any degree to start with. He almost seems unhinged now. Although it's hard to say if that is the result of everything he's seen, or simply from being locked in a coffin for half an age while stuck in the bowls of hell. Probably both. There's still a few questions regarding the modern Dooms. 

Regardless, that's how I see it.

18 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I just copied and pasted it from the source. 

Your Ctrl+V has typos, then. Sounds fitting for you.