Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Running Late 2

July, 2020

0bJHbXe.png

The yearly leader board

Standard Leaderboard

1. 1 - SURVIVED (5:43:32): Roofi - One of the all time great runs. Unbelievable. Tense. Perfect. "Won Doom."
  2. 1 - MAP12: Daerik - Demonstrates the quickest way to lose 300 hit points.
  3. 1 - MAP11: ReaperAA - Despite looking right all the way, didn't look to the right when the killer archvile came.
  4. 3 - MAP10: Bdubzzz - Goes a long way, but the self-fulfilling prophecy strikes true in the end. Curse you MAP10!
  5. 1 - MAP07: Arbys550 - Fastest finger ragequit in the west.
  6. 1 - MAP07: Beginner - When you hear Into the Beast's Belly you know it'll get rough. The chaingunners also knew.
  7. 1 - MAP06: SSGmaster - Was rather Good at Doom for a split second only to die at the sight of a soul sphere.
  8. 1 - MAP06: Vince Vega - Held out until the archviles checked. Expert clutch on 1 HP.
  9. 1 - MAP06: dt_ - Decided to surround himself and the soulsphere. Got out only to weep CG bullets after seeing an archvile.
  10. 1 - MAP05: marver0PS - Enourmous balls in the cyberdemon area annuled by a duo of annoying homing rockets 10 minutes later.
  11. 2 - MAP04: Anima Zero - Holy Bony Jerk, the Protector of Imps. 
  12. 1 - MAP04: NoisyVelvet - Ran around the safe house like a headless chicken into the loving arms of a shotgunner.
  13. 1 - MAP04: Suitepee - Got surprised by a revenant from behind and cooked by a possessed guard.
  14. 1 - MAP04: RjY - Caged in and promptly judged by the Holy Bony Jerk.
  15. 1 - MAP04: NoReason - Welcome to the League! There's NoReason not to join :) 
  16. 2 - MAP03: NaZa - This has to be among the most painful Ironman deaths to date.
  17. 1 - MAP03: Endless - All started with a very unfortunate rocket hit. Went downhill from there.
  18. 1 - MAP03: Pseudonaut - The naked revenants forced Pseudonaut to retreat. The maneuver ended in tears.
  19. 2 - MAP02: seed - Focused on one Bony Bastard so much he forgot Yoda's words: "There is another..."
  20. 1 - MAP02: Horus - Boxed in by the Bony Bastards.
  21. 1 - MAP02: ozy - "Stay down. Final warning."
  22. 1 - MAP02: Austinado - Attempted to pistol the Bony Bastards. Scored the Bad Ending.
  23. 1 - MAP02: Dieting Hippo - Resorted to sawing instead of punching. Didn't bode well with the Bony Bastard.
  24. 1 - MAP02: Crusader No Regret - Got well and truly gangbeat, in his own words. The Bony Bastards piled up on him. 
  25. 1 - MAP01: Pegleg - He do be running. He really do. Then a demon came and he do be dead.

Prepared Leaderboard

1. # - MAP02: Pegleg - Goes out of his comfort zone and punches enemies - glad to see that spirit! 

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In July 2020 the DWIronman League dies to Running Late 2, -complevel 9 by @A2Rob. Damned be these demons, can't catch a break even after moving facilities. Well, at least security guards are well equipped, As long as you enjoy killing demons overtime, Running Late 2 is quite a WAD for you! Featuring some quite nice humour along the way as well, this WAD will definitely keep you entertained! It also has Duke Nukem 3D music which may or may not have been a factor in the choice for this month. The mapset also features a few custom enemies which get introduced as it progresses. Not much else to say, really - there's a couple of "horde"-ish encounters near the tail end of the WAD (from what I skimmed through) but nothing that can be labeled as extreme slaughter, I guess. Have fun Dooming!

Essential Info

• Doom II: Hell on Earth as the IWAD selected.
  • Compatibility level 9, or "(Boom (strict))" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • Time estimate: 3, maybe 4 hours
  • 16 maps (includes oblig MAP31) + credit map (MAP16) + 1 properly secret

> Download Running Late 2

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file rl2.wad -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Spoiler

Edited by NaZa : updated

My apologies for not keeping up to date with the board last month, it was quite hectic. I did rank all the players (which you can see on my leaderboard) but I didn't put the obituaries on the board, I guess. Point at me in shame. However, if you visited the yearly standings, you'd see @ReaperAA has won for the very first time - my heartiest congratulations! It was very well deserved, after very consistent performances this and last year. Glad to see dt_ bounce back after the freak desync and score a Top 5 finish, even if it wasn't a survival in the end. A very uncharacteristic slip-up by Bdubzzz last month as well - not even Top 5! I guess calling people out in the OPs is a dark omen. 

I laughed.

Map03, quite a beautiful death a tic away from a stimpack. 

Edited by NaZa

I wish I didn't waste this invlnr, so I could finish MAP06.

Map        Kills    Items  Secrets    Time     Total       Result
MAP01      95/99    30/40      1/2    8:49      8:49         EXIT
MAP02    117/117    46/46      1/1   12:20     21:09         EXIT
MAP03    144/144    27/27      2/2   13:22     34:31         EXIT
MAP04    188/188    22/23      0/2   16:03     50:34         EXIT
MAP05    442/460    62/65      2/4   32:43   1:23:17         EXIT
MAP06    368/383     5/28      1/4   16:37   1:39:54   EPIC DEATH

Liked the WAD. Seems no significant difference in diffuculty from Vrack, so can be played blindly pretty decent. Up to that moment lol.

Category I.

Epic 1% -> soulsphere -> 101% health included (near the end).

dwilate2.zip

Category 3 dead on Map 10, I watched NoReason's Twitch stream but otherwise have played it in TNS and in single player. Was going pretty good until this map and when I started the map I felt like there was a good chance I would die ( as I remember dying a few times in my casual Playthrough) and what do you know, rip :p

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/674086261

Type 1 -  UV, blind, and new monsters: this doesn't look like it will turn out well.  Came close to getting blown up in the first minute and spent nearly all of the first map scraping by at under 40% health.

Surrounded and gangbeat on map 2.  Cruising for another last or 2nd-to-last place finish.

Prboom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 9

dwiron_rl2_cnr.zip

A pathetic death on MAP02, as per usual ;) .

Looking forward to ending at the bottom of the list once more.

Cat 2 this time since I played the full wad on stream a while ago.

seedrl.zip

I think it's about time I took a shot at this challenge.

I have to admit, those tall revenants gave me some spooks.

Standard Category.

Blind.

Died on Map 03.

It didn't turn out as badly as I thought, so I'm satisfied.

I'm really diggin the mapset tho! Looks great! Might try later in the Prepared Category.

Finally got to play this.

RL2demo.zip (Category 1 and died on Map 11, reached at around 3:30:00)

I really enjoyed the mapset. Love the setting of this wad. However, there were some maps where I was lost and got a bit frustrated (though I mostly blame my lack of navigational skills rather than the maps). On Map 4, I wasted about 15-20 mins. Hence the demo being extremely long. The great thing is that the fights were well crafted. Challenging but never unfair, just the way I like them.

Some hair raising moments at map 2, map 7 and map 10.

Survived in 5:43:32 , Category 1

Demo

Damn , it was a big thing , especially for me considering how slow I am.  Sorry , I'm too sleepy to write a long review , but I have to say that the wad is fantastic. Congrats to @A2Rob!

It was very fun , I almost died in map 10 because of the cybers. Map 02 was oddly pretty tough too.  I sadly didn't find map 32 but whatever. ;)

I spent a lot of time searching secrets as usual. :)

Edited by Roofi

Category: 1

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 13/99

Time: 1:37

dwi_pegleg_rl2.zip

I guess it's back down to the bottom of the rankings this month! Getting cornered by a demon will hep you do that. There's really not much I can say about the mapset given how little I saw of it, but the start does force you to be more on the judicious side with your movement and ammo. I imagine that sort of mentality extended to the rest of the mapset.

OK. After recording this initial demo, but before posting this comment, I went back and played a bit more of the mapset. The start actually isn't bad, so I'll chalk this up to another poorly-handled start from yours truly. Ironically, had I been more cautious and more observant (and not started just running around), I would have done much better blind. The overall setups, at least in the early going, are very manageable. Good movement still helps, but that is always true, and there is generally ample room (again, at least in the early going) to allow for movement.

Also, I rather like revenants without rockets.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, Roofi said:

Survived in 5:43:32 , Category 1

Demo

Damn , it was a big thing , especially for me considering how slow I am.  Sorry , I'm too sleepy to write a long review , but I have to say that the wad is fantastic. Congrats to @A2Rob!

It was very fun , I almost died in map 10 because of the cybers. Map 02 was oddly pretty tough too.  I sadly didn't find map 32 but whatever. ;)

I spent a lot of time searching secrets as usual. :)

Jesus man, what a mad lad. Respects mate.

I'm already waiting for your leaderboards footnote. ''Won Doom.''

Here is my Category 3 submission.

Dead on Map 02

Kills: 33/117

Time: 19:08

dwi_pegleg_rl2_cat3.zip

For reference, here is my Category 1 submission.

Like I said, a poor start the first time around. Some people play blind well, others don't. I probably could have made it a bit farther had I decided not to just stand there and go punch face with a revenant. I felt like the rocket-less revenant is faster. Oh well. Live and learn. Or die and learn, just not on that Ironman run.

This was an enjoyable, well-crafted mapset. I liked the texturing and the enemy placement. Ambushes were thought through quite well. Again, there was usually plenty of space to take advantage of the freedom of movement--except when A2Rob wanted to restrict, such as in the water tunnel leading to the red key in Map 01. Release some demons and fight them in these narrow corridors or rush forward to have more room, and also face sergeants and imps. Like I said, good encounter design. I finished up Map 01 with 1 shell, which dovetailed nicely with the focus of Map 02 being the berserk. I don't think the ammo starvation was essential, but it worked out well--forcing me to punch things when I'd rather shoot them. Like I said, a good mapset.

blind run, dead on map04

MAP01  EXIT    99/99   0  35/40  2/2   9:45+27   9:45
MAP02  EXIT  117/117   0  46/46  1/1  15:25+27  25:10
MAP03  EXIT  144/144   0  27/27  2/2  17:49+28  42:59
MAP04  DEAD  112/188  76  14/23  0/2   7:15+32  42:59

I thought it would be a timed siege, with attacks all from outside. I was caught out when stuff started teleporting *into* the cage as well.

@NaZa sorry to be a nuisance but it seems I got missed off the spreadsheet last month, can you fix or is it too late?