Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roebloz

What ports do YOU use?

For me I have my three all-star lineup. (Not counting my GBA Doom II since that's not a source port)

GENERAL PWAD OR MODS PLAY: GZDoom, since its what's being used nowadays

Multiplayer: Zandronum, easy to use and has decorate support.

Vanilla: This might surprise you, but instead of using DOSBox, Doom95 or Chocolate Doom, I instead use the last prototype of WinDoom. It might sound weird to use, but it doesn't have the problems Doom95 has, easier to use than DOSBox to me, and while Chocolate Doom is just as accurate, I do enjoy the WinDoom interface more. Also, screen sizes.

Eternity Engine for everything. I used Chocolate Doom before. I love those ports.

3 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

GZDoom, since its what's being used nowadays

Various ports are being used nowadays, NOT only GZDoom.

Just now, Loud Silence said:

Eternity Engine for everything. I used Chocolate Doom before. I love those ports.

Various ports are being used nowadays, NOT only GZDoom.

Yeah I know, but you can't deny its one of the most popular.

Chocolate for 90s wads.

Crispy for any wads it supports.

prboom+ for Boom and 'hard' wads I'm trying to play well.

GZDoom for anything that explicitly requires it.

Almost always PrBoom+ or GlBoom+. I can't let go of the uncapped framerate and high resolution, and I don't care for anything that requires a ZDoom port.

LZDoom since my laptop is an ancient toaster that can't run GZDoom with hardware rendering.

Also, DZDoom for the PS1 versions and Doom 64.

I use ZDoom 2.8.1 for everything, since I'm not that big of a vanilla freak.

GZDoom, PrBoom, Eternity, Crispy and Chocolate Doom are my go-to ports.

GZDoom for my own stuff or things that require it, DoomRetro for vanilla or Boom levels, Doomsday for vanilla levels sometimes.

I almost never play multiplayer, except when my wife feels like playing some co-op.  When we do I prefer to use Doomsday or Zandronum if I need Boom support.

If I where to chose one it would be DOSBOX.  Hearing E1M1 in OPL synth was enough for me to register to this site.  I do remember lurking here around 2008 or later but never registered, I thought of this place for professional doom players only.  But "anybody" is welcome it seems.

For singleplayer I use Chocolate Doom or the vanilla EXEs in DosBox, or GZDoom to play mods that go beyond vanilla limits.

For multiplayer I use ZDaemon, Zandronum and Odamex, since they've been the 3 main multiplayer ports for a long time now. Back when I lived near a lot of my friends, I used to use Doom Legacy for splitscreen local multiplayer.

I have some other ports installed and I appreciate them, but I pretty much never use them because all the ones listed above do everything I need.

GZDoom, PrBoom+, Crispy Doom and Eternity Engine.

GZDoom: I use it 90% of the time.

PrBoom+: I use it for demo-recording or playing the rare Boom/MBF wad that GZDoom can't handle smoothly (like a slaughter wad).

Crispy Doom: For more old-school feel and for playing wads with D4V mod (I honestly don't know why I use D4V mod only with Crispy Doom)

Eternity Engine: For playing EE specific maps or like PrBoom+, I use it to play the rare Boom/MBF wad that GZDoom can't handle smoothly.

GZDoom gang 4 lyfe. I'm not into demo recording or speedrunning, and GZDoom is compatible with an absolutely huge range of WADs and mods. It's all I need.

Chocolate Doom, but with some QOL stuff programmed in like uncapped framerate, truecolor rendering and supersampling so it's a bit easier on the eyes.

I'm too lazy. XD

EDIT:

From what I can tell WooF doesn't have a .exe file with it... gg.

Do I need WinMBF to run it?

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn : Bork-Bork

I use a bunch of them, depending on which system I'm using, what wad I'm playing, and what mood I'm in.

Ryzen 5/Windows 10: Woof, Crispy Doom, GZDoom + Vanilla Essence if the wad requires ZDoom

Athlon XP/Windows XP: PrBoom, PrBoom-plus, Eternity

Athlon XP/MS-DOS: Doom2-plus, MBF

Crispy for anything that works with it. It's got lots of cool stuff, including one or two things I contributed.

GZDoom with the software renderer for most other things. It handles basically everything and I like being able to walk under Cacodemons.

PrBoom+ for demos, or what Crispy won't run and GZDoom runs too slowly on my computer. For some reason PrB+ feels "jerky" at my laptop's native 1366x768, so I play with a lower resolution. Which is generally fine except the HUD/Ammo numbers etc. don't look great when rescaled.

Woof is shaping up to be a pretty good port too.

EDGE is a nice port with its own feel, but it's not 100% reliably compatible with Boom stuff, and for limit-removing I prefer Crispy, so I don't really use it ever.

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Ever tried Woof?

I personally have never tried either of your ports.

PRBoom+ for playing Boom-compatible maps, GLBoom+ for video dumping, and Crispy Doom for recording/watching demos and pretty much everything else. ZDoom/GZDoom stuff doesn't really interest me anymore. I've been spoiled with Crispy's "restart demo" key. That source port has come such a long way even since I've joined this forum. Makes speedrunning a lot more fun, in my opinion.

Edited by lazy91geek

GZDoom for basically everything. I do play with mouselook and like to toss Dead marine mod into the mix for more umph.

PrBoom+ for testing my own Boom format maps, moreover testing maps without mouselook to make sure everything works and is balanced playing without it.

Mods that goes beyond Doom, or changes it heavily and requires it - GZDoom
maps that were made for Vanilla in mind or megawads - Crispy or PRBoom+

On my Windows 10 machine, I usually use LZDoom - the scaler seems to introduce fewer artifacts on weapon sprites than GZDoom when downscalining to 480p.

My old Pentium 4 Win98/XP/Win7 triple boot system (which I do most of my Dooming on) usually runs Boom 2.02 or LZDoom.

Zandronum/Zdaemon for multiplayer.

Edited by Smouths

For a long time Zdoom / GZDoom, now Prboom +,GZDoom and Crispy Doom.

Edited by Valboom