• Duke Nukem 3D
    • Shadow Warrior
    • Redneck Rampage
    • Blood
    • Exhumed ( or Powerslave)
    • Witchaven
    • TekWar
    • None of them (shame on you)

Of course I've played Duke Nukem 3D (original, atomic edition & plutonium pack (with Duke it Out in D.C.!) and liked it a lot! An engine, not much unlike the DooM engine, but with a few more 'tricks', by using (tagged) event-sprites (when building a map, obviously) and I just loved the whitty remarks of the Duke! I also played Blood, which I found very cool as well, but I selected Shadow Warrior, simply because I like and played that game the most!

You couldn't find ass with both hands!! - Lo Wang Bang

<edit by Katarhyne>"Lo Wang Bang"? WTF? His name was Lo Wang. Way to screw up!</edit>

Duke Nukem 3D. I'm not making a TC for it for nothing.

But Blood comes in at second, simply because Caleb's coooool.

I've only played the Duke Nukem shareware, so I'm going to have to go with Duke Nukem.

I would vote for Powerslave, but only the PSX and Saturn versions (which didn't use Build, I don't think). So my vote goes for Duke Nukem.

I never liked the feel of Build as much as Doom. It kept feeling like the walls were paper thin and that I'd accedentally blow them all up. Doom felt more "solid".

I do like Lo Wang's humor, though.

Blood easily had the best premise of the well known Build games, and, IMO, it is easily the most fun. I mean, come on, you get to play soccer with zombie heads? How can you beat that? The sequel was a travesty, though...

You should have had a multiple choice poll. I wanted to vote Redneck Rampage, Powerslave, and Blood. But I voted for RP. :)

BLOOD!! Any gamw where you can kick heads around like a soccer ball is AWESOME. and who can foeget the 'IT BURNS IT BURNS!!' when you shoot a cultist with a flare gun? ;)

Myine would be Shadow Warrior, with Blood a very close second. I haven't played duke Nukem yet, so I can't comment on that one. I haven't played Redneck Rampage either, but I do want to play it (if I can find it).

Blood and Shadow Warrior.

Only played Redneck Rampage, and I have Exhumed as well...oh yeah, Exhumed rules...third behind Blood and SW.

Duke's great and all, but Blood truly took advantage of the engine. As for Powerslave, the PC version sucks, the PSX/Saturn version are damn awesome. Don't know if they use the Build engine though...

elbryan42 said:

As for Powerslave, the PC version sucks, the PSX/Saturn version are damn awesome. Don't know if they use the Build engine though...

I was checking in the manual of the PSX version, and it mentioned the BREW World Editing Tool, but I can't find anything on this. Given the room over room, 3d bridges, and advanced lighting (relative) in the PSX and Saturn ports, I don't think it uses Build. Those bridges don't look like sprite bridges.

The versions of Duke3D, Quake and Powerslave on Saturn all used the same engine, and no it's not Build, but a custom engine made by Lobotomy software specificly for the Saturn, then ported to PSX. It's a cool engine, very flexable, and fast.

Blood was one of my favorites...until the second episode when it kept crashing every time I entered the water (and many places I had to if I wanted to continue).

Shadow Warrior. If not for ninja weapons, then for the hentai chicas. ^_^

For some reason, Duke3D crashes on this comp, always right after I see one of those squid-brain-things.

Hmm... No problems with episode 3, and it sure is a fun one, especially after getting the Napalm Launcher and Tesla Cannon.

If your comp crashes in those games, get the "disable reverb" patches from Ken Silverman's site.

I had the same problem with shadow Warrior. There were patches that cleared it right up. However, I can't seem to find any for Blood.

Now for the obvious question:

What's the address?

Uh, Build engine can run on WinXP :P

You just need to have no sound, set the video mode to 320x200 non-VESA, and run it from the command prompt :D

But it's really cutback so it sucks and not worth it.

FOr sure blood. That game is so great, it's still on my computer, and I played it just a few days ago. Duke was alright, but not too amazing. And shadow warrior...well...it was.......decent enough. As for witchaven, yeahp, I own witchaven 1 and 2, got them for x-mas one year. Kind of interesting with the medievel weapons, but really not too amazing.